Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-24-05, 11:46 AM   #169
jong0357
Mad Penguin

Send a message via Yahoo to jong0357
Default Re: nVidia Linux Driver support for mobile video cards (Geforce* Go)...

I'm basically running Slackware. There is no modules.preload... Everything gets handled by udev and hotplug.... I do have all of agpgart compiled as modules. The thing is, on newer kernels, you can't even remove the option for agpgart... It won't let you...

So, I suppose I would have to blacklist them in /etc/hotplug/blacklist. Do you also change 'nvagp' to 1 then? Oh hell... Whatever... I basically tired of messing with it... I think I even completely removed all the agpgart modules from my config except for the top level 'agpgart (wouldn't let me remove that) and then compiled a new kernel before. That doesn't seem to matter. You STILL get a main "agpgart" module that gets inserted into the kernel....

Thanks for the help.... Think I'll stick with old-faithfull for now..

EDIT- I just saw your very top post infomissing123... Ok... Thanks. So, I would just blacklist the intel ones then... Maybe I'll get around to trying it some day (altho, I think I already have done this...) I can't be sure that I tried passing the options to the nvidia module at the same time tho....

There are SOOO many combinations to try, your bound to not hit the right one..

Last edited by jong0357; 05-24-05 at 12:26 PM.
jong0357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-05, 09:59 PM   #170
infomissing123

AlxMax,
I have not enabled RenderAccel. I have been messing with the ACPI trying to get suspend to work. Almost got it. I'll post it when I do.

Jong0357,
What are you running (hardware and software)? SOrry, too lazy to search previous posts.
infomissing123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-05, 11:28 AM   #171
AlxMAX

jong0357: The modprobe.preload thing is fully implemented on Mandriva Linux, but it is half implemented on Fedora Core 3. I mean in both cases, there is a /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit script which calls a /etc/rc.d/rc.modules script, but in my backup tree for Fedora's /etc, there's no rc.modules file in /etc/rc.d. Furthermore, on Mandriva, this file is included in initscripts package (at least 7.61.1) and it is quite small. I have attached it in case you want to implement the module preload (you must search for rc.modules in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit to see if your system is ready to use the file I attached).

But first, you have to be sure you can unload the intel-agp module with rmmod intel-agp (or whatever name this module has) while the system is in console mode.
Attached Files
File Type: txt rc.modules.txt (601 Bytes, 229 views)
Old 05-25-05, 11:59 PM   #172
jong0357
Mad Penguin

Send a message via Yahoo to jong0357

Well, I'll look into it... I implement a similar modules script on my system as well... By the looks of things, /etc/modules.preload isn't hardcoded into module-init-tools. That's sourced in Mandriva's/mandrake's rc.modules script.

When I boot into init3, my nvidia module along with all the agpgart's are already loaded... :-) And my modules script in /etc/sysconfig is empty... It would seem I'd have to blacklist them in /etc/hotplug/blacklist...

I'm not overly pressed at the moment anyway.. I've grown attached to the 4620 version... Even if I could get the newer ones working, I probably still wouldn't use them... Just put out and worn down basically...
jong0357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-05, 03:21 PM   #173
koala

What?

The latest Nvidia drivers work on Linux just by disabling the AGP modules?

Any kernel version required or further magic??
koala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-05, 05:42 PM   #174
Compholio

Quote:
Originally Posted by koala
What?

The latest Nvidia drivers work on Linux just by disabling the AGP modules?

Any kernel version required or further magic??
For me they work out of the box without doing anything software-wise, I just have to have X start with an external monitor attached.
Compholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-05, 07:37 PM   #175
gualteri

Quote:
Originally Posted by gualteri
Hello, I'm having the same problem on a Gentoo (amd64) with a DFP (16:9) and the model of the computer is a HP Compaq nx9105 , it has been driving me mad, anyway i've read the forum & tried the solutions posted about the problem but i haven't been able to fix it. If anyone has an explanation or some clue, or even is in the same situation that me, i would like to hear about. For me the simple solution has been to switch to the "nv" module provided by xorg.

That's all. tia.
(contact-me by mail, see my profile)
Well that's an autoreply, 'cause I've been able to solve the problem (black line at the right side of the screen) that i was having, it's well documented at : http://www.peterhyman.com/dl/HPLaptop-nVidia-HOWTO.
Anyway i was unable to follow the sol.lution explained at the HOWTO because 6111 in Gentoo amd64, is masked, so i searched for a good looking modeline.
because you can't rely in the ones calculated from EDID s, so you have to ignore the EDID ( Option "IgnoreEDID" "True") :

# from http://www1.uop.edu/~khughes/presario-r3120us/
Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor-R3E3"
HorizSync 28.0 - 96.0
VertRefresh 50.0 - 86.0
DisplaySize 340 191 # Aspect ratio 1.778:1
Modeline "1280x800" 101.92 1280 1312 1696 1728 800 816 825 841
EndSection

Versions of kernel & glx: nvidia-glx-7174 nvidia-kernel-7174

Maybe if there's someone in the same situation, will find this usefull.
gualteri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-05, 12:08 PM   #176
AlxMAX

Quote:
Originally Posted by koala
What? The latest Nvidia drivers work on Linux just by disabling the AGP modules? Any kernel version required or further magic??
Not all the agp modules were disabled. Only intel-agp. In my case, agpgart is still active. I guess a kernel like 2.6.11.[6-8] should be enough, but you have to be sure the agp parts of the kernel are compiled as modules and not in the kernel and you must test if the intel-agp module can be unloaded.

I managed to make my laptop work with the 7174 drivers folowing infomissing123 advices. Those instructions concern Mandriva Linux, but I think Fedora should work too in the conditions enumerated above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compholio
... I just have to have X start with an external monitor attached.
In my case, I don't need an external monitor anymore.

I vaguely remember to have tested to unload that module on Fedora, but I haven't found a solution and I haven't dug further.

Old 05-28-05, 05:53 PM   #177
usergentoo

Its crappy after you upgrade a version of gentoo after years of using it and then your video quits on you.

Well after about a year of messing around and no luck on getting any of the Nvidia drivers to work on any Linux distro. I finally tried booting a live cd with a monitor hooked to it just to see what would happen. It worked!!!!!! So that give me some ideas and I played around with it and still no luck without the monitor connected. I thought Id check the bios and it had a setting for a crt or lcd then I just happened to move a little futher down and seen it also had a slection for both. lcd and crt. So thinking Id give it one last try like I have been for the past year and it worked. No more hard lockups... I didnt even change any settings in any config files. It just works, Nvidia Logo, glxgears the whole nine yards.

Ive tried several other live cds also and found out they worked as well. So it seems I fixed my problem.I have tested ALL kernels from 2.6.8 up to 2.6.11r8 with the 7174 kernel.

My laptop is a Gateway Solo 9550 , GeForce2 32mb 512mb ram PIII 1.2ghz

I hope some of you try this and I really hope it may work for you. Hopefully you should have the same option cause I checked and both my Toshiba 2515cds and my IBM Thinkpad 560 has this option and those two systems are very old.
usergentoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-05, 06:18 PM   #178
koala

Ahhh... gave it a whirl this afternoon, 7174 + 2.6.11.11. However, no workie. Compiled agpgart as a module, and loaded it. x.org using the nvidia driver, with no special parameters, loaded the nvidia module with the options mentioned above and black screen....

Any clue?
Old 05-30-05, 06:43 AM   #179
AlxMAX

koala: I don't know what kind of system you have, but have you tried to unload the intel-agp module (if it was already loaded)?
Old 05-30-05, 02:13 PM   #180
koala

A Dell Inspiron 2650

I didn't compile the intel-agp module.