Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-02-05, 11:37 PM   #73
bck

Default Re: nVidia Linux Driver support for mobile video cards (Geforce* Go)...

I confess I hadn't read to the end of the thread or I would not have added my two bits. Clearly you've been struggling for a while and appear to have looked in most of the right places. After looking at your xorg.log and noting your "solution", I wonder if the problem isn't that the driver is confusing the monitors. The xorg.log looked like everything should have worked, but if the external connector was being driven instead of the lcd, ... Might just be a wiring problem or bios problem in your particular laptop model. Might be a bug in the driver, or just a uniquely confusing implimentation that worked for the nv module but not nvidia. Didn't look like you had quite enough info in your xorg.log - was it really logverbose 5? I have gone through most of the nvidia driver versions, several kernels, on three different laptop models, at least a half dozen models of video cards of varying ages.I've often had problems, usually because I didn't pay enough attention to detail - all worked eventually, with the exception of some of the 2nd monitor features for laptops. If you look at the details of the hardware, this is really quite incredible, given how decentralized and mindless all the development is.
bck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-05, 07:04 AM   #74
kanu

Quote:
Originally Posted by bck
....... Didn't look like you had quite enough info in your xorg.log - was it really logverbose 5?
the problem is is that it freezes/locks so hard that nothing gets writen to the log file thats of an use. no matter what log mode its in.
kanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-05, 07:21 PM   #75
paka

Hi All!

Got quite similar problem.
Tried to install nvida drivers on my Toshiba S1410-802, with GeForce4 Go... all the process of installation seems to work out fine, I change XF86Config-4, just type startx.. and indeed X is loading... I can lunch everything, but what a horrible resolution/screen size.

Normally I use 1024x800 screen size, but after installing nVidia, my screen behaves like having 1600x1200 on 1024x800 size.. hope you know what I mean. Like a huge screen into mine
Unfortunatly I am not happy with that What more all the screen is slightly moved, the right margin is moved about 2 [cm] (2/3 inch) to the center of screen, so in result I have at the right side black margin.

Tried to change some options, nothing worked Tried to run nvidia-settings.. the only one thing which I found was the size of screen or something like that.. there are couple options, default, centered, scale and one more. I have choosen center.. at this moment size of letters and windows was like during using nv driver, but still screen remained strange like 800x600 with a black border around.

Anybody got idea how to deal with it?

BTW. modprobe ..etc. I typed it in command line (is it right?) and then tried to install drivers.. didn't work Next I tried to type into /etc/modules.conf quite the same line like it is described in README file.. either didn't worked I am newbie, so pleace forgive me any mistakes If anybody has got any idea I would appreciate it!

Regards!!!
paka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-05, 09:42 AM   #76
AlxMAX

paka: What is the native resolution that you use for the screen in Windows? By native resolution I mean the one that doesn't introduce any pixel distorsion because of the interpolation / scaling.
Old 04-04-05, 11:30 AM   #77
paka

Either in Windows or Linux I use 1024x768, that is the maximum resolution. Writing before about 1024x800 I did mean 1024x768.

After uninstalling (nvidia-installer --uninstall) it removed libGL.so.1 file, which is demanded by my instant msg program.

Regards, and looking forward for help
Old 04-04-05, 02:07 PM   #78
AlxMAX

paka: On a 1024 x 768 monitor you cannot display bigger resolutions than the monitor one. So in my opinion the X server is working at an inferior resolution in order to have those pixel distortions (because of scaling algorithm). In a previous message, I have mentioned a black margin. Is it placed only on a side of the screen? Or do you have a small centred image on the screen and a black margin all around (you can obtain this with the laptop scaling buttons)?

Anyway, don't forget to post a copy of your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 or /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
Old 04-04-05, 06:23 PM   #79
paka

Hi there!

I will try to explain in a little bit simpler way, and please forgive my language it is still not perfect

When I said 'bigger resolution' on 1024x768 screen I meant (hmm.. do not know how to call it exactly) huge desktop, which you can explore by mouse moving.. so the view area is still 1024x768 but there is bigger desktop. I attach a screen how it looks like. And please keep in mind, though the background is black on that screen on the right side is a black strip (width about 2cm as I mentioned before).

And please forget those sentences about centered image/view.. it can happen but only by using nvidia-settings, I just change option about view of screen, not scaled but I choose centered. Then the resolution of fonts, windows etc. is fine, but as I said, there is only small view like 640, or 800x600. But as I said you do not need to consider it, just focus on the desciption in the first paragraph

I attach 3 files. One of those is screen snapshot, and others two are config files. As in name, one is before instalation of nvidia, and one is after instalation of nvidia drivers.

Regards, hope it will clear you a point of view Cheers!

Attachments:
http://pako.aonet.pl/XF86Config-4.no_nvidia.send - file WITHOUT nvidia driver
http://pako.aonet.pl/XF86Config-4.nvidia.send - file WITH installed nvidia driver
http://pako.aonet.pl/snapshot_nvidia_wrong.png - that horrible screen
Old 04-04-05, 06:32 PM   #80
paka

One more thing..

When I instal nvidia, but do not change in XF86Config-4 the line 'nv' to 'nvidia', the X start with the proper resolution, scales etc., but there apears very often KDE windows informing that there could be possible bug etc. think you know what I mean..

What more you can find in my config line with screen size like 286 215, there are my default dimension, cause I modified it to have nice looking fonts, if anybody is interested description of the process how to get nice fonts (clear, not those ugly from linux) is here:

http://convexhull.com/mandrake_fonts.html

Regards,

K

Old 04-05-05, 05:28 PM   #81
paka

Really no help?????? Uhh.. Just answer somebody
BTW: Tommorow I am leaving to Italy, will be back on Sunday evening.
Regards!
Old 04-05-05, 06:14 PM   #82
tsaiming

Debian sarge on Acer Aspire 1522Wlmi
Graphic Card: Nvidia GeForce FX Go 5700
OK with kernel 2.6.8-2-386 and 6111 driver (I can see also virtual console), but when using kernel > 2.6.8, I cannot install 6111 while 6629 and 7167 works only in X (corrupted virtual console, still working, I can give command but I can's see anything!)
I've tried debian kernel, compiled kernel, nothing work.
I don't know what I can do more.
tsaiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-05, 07:08 PM   #83
voRia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsaiming
Debian sarge on Acer Aspire 1522Wlmi
Graphic Card: Nvidia GeForce FX Go 5700
OK with kernel 2.6.8-2-386 and 6111 driver (I can see also virtual console), but when using kernel > 2.6.8, I cannot install 6111 while 6629 and 7167 works only in X (corrupted virtual console, still working, I can give command but I can's see anything!)
I've tried debian kernel, compiled kernel, nothing work.
I don't know what I can do more.
Same problem here
voRia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-05, 08:55 PM   #84
kcrudup

Just another data point in the "win" column: I just posted about my successes over on the thread about the new 7174 driver:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...9&postcount=56

Everything's worked for me (BIOS A11, BTW) for quite some time. If someone wants my /etc/X11/XF86Config, post a reply here or E-mail me.
kcrudup is offline   Reply With Quote