Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-06-05, 09:53 PM   #1
wesblake

Default Help! Volume is crazy loud and can't adjust it.

Ok. so basically I've switched mobo's. I was on a Via chipset, running a 2.6.x kernel and using the ALSA in the kernel. Basically, I switched to a Nforce2 Ultra 400 chipset (Chaintech 7NIL1-Summit) and for the most part the move went well, re-compiled the kernel with support for the new hardware, and started right up. Then I did the install of Nvidia's nvnet and nvsound drivers and set my /etc/modules.d/alsa (gentoo) to load nvsound rather than the viaxxxxx or whatever I was loading before. It loads fine, and boy do I have sound again. I tried out XMMS to test my sound, it's full blast, alsamixer says "alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such device", kamix just shows no controls, nvmixer comes up fine, but when I move the sliders nothing happens to the volume. Its' still crazy loud! Any ideas? Do I have to recompile any of the alsa packages perhaps? (i.e., alsa-oss, alsa-headers, alsa-tools, etc)
Thanks.
wesblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-05, 11:29 AM   #2
wesblake

Default Re: Help! Volume is crazy loud and can't adjust it.

Ok, I think I've sort of figured it out. After putting Winblows back on my computer too, I also installed the nforce audio driver there. Same thing happened. Turns out my audio is a Cmedia 9738 (I think that was it, 9xxx anyways) so i removed the nforce audio driver and installed the audio driver from the mobo disc, now everything is good in WInblows. However, looking around for a driver for linux I can only find the Cmedia 8xxx drivers, anybody know what to do? Thanks.
wesblake is offline   Reply With Quote