Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-07-05, 01:35 AM   #1
xx404

Default Driver won't load with Debian MPPE patch

I'm running Debian Unstable with a custom SMP 2.6.4 kernel and the latest NVIDIA driver (6xxx or something).

In order to get MPPE support in the kernel (for Microsoft VPN) I used apt-get to install the mppe-kernel-patch and then compiled a new kernel. Of course I had to recompile the NVIDIA driver as well but unfortunately the nvidia.ko module won't load.

The reason seams to be that the module version magic in the driver doesn't include MPPE whereas the one for the new kernel does. I only have the one set of sources and the installer seems to be using them. How do I get the installer to recognise the MPPE patch that I used to compile the kernel?
xx404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-05, 08:20 PM   #2
xx404

Default Re: Driver won't load with Debian MPPE patch

OK, I've worked this one out myself. The problem was that when I rebuilt the kernel to apply the MPPE patch I used

# make-kpkg \
--added-patches mppe \
--append-to-version -mppe \
--config oldconfig \
kernel_image

The --append-to-version option is what caused all the problem. Apparently there are environment variables you can set EXTRAVERSION and APPEND_TO_VERSION but neither worked with the nVidia makefile so I ended up just temporarily hacking the kernel's version.h file so the version magic string would match. I guess I could have also rebuilt the kernel package without the --append-to-version option.

I hope someone else finds this informtion useful.
xx404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-05, 02:06 AM   #3
Lithorus

Default Re: Driver won't load with Debian MPPE patch

You can also set this append to version with make menuconfig, then the nvidia installer should work fine with it. It just puts an -mppe behind the version number eg. 2.6.10-mppe.
Lithorus is offline   Reply With Quote