Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows XP And Vista

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-11-05, 07:36 AM   #1
Superfly
Retired

Default Longhorn & NVIDIA Display drivers.

OK,

I currently have Longhorn (4074) on my D drive and dual boot with XP when I need a bug free enviroment.

Are there are any other Microsoft BETA testers on this board? I wanted to share my experiences with installing the display drivers.

1. Do not use the built in installer!! it wont work, first download the driver of your choice (must be XP driver) and extract the files out to a folder - then install using device manager.

2. Longhorn currently ships with a "customized" version of DirectX and is embedded within the OS, certain files cannot be overwritten and any attempt to instal version 9.0c will FUBAR your Longhorn instal and many of its "new" features.

3. If your hoping to play games etc on Longhorn you'd do better to stick with XP for now, Longhorn is still very much ALPHA and although it looks awesome much more work is needed by Microsoft.

4. Microsoft are now compiling Longhorn using the Server 2003 code base (interesting) and it should enter official BETA testing this year.

EDIT On a side note, you can get almost all XP programs/Drivers to instal if you use the "WindowsXP Compatability" mode found under file properties.

Enjoy
Old 01-12-05, 09:48 AM   #2
Superfly
Retired

Default Re: Longhorn & NVIDIA Display drivers.

UPDATE:

None of the 7x.xx series drivers work with Longhorn, you get BSOD on reboot.

I have used and can vouch for 66.93.