Default MSI GeForce FX5700 (256mb) problem

Hello All,

Let me give you an idea about my machine:

Koolance water-cooled tower
p4 3.2 w/ht
abit IC7-MAX3
1024 (2x512) Geil pc4200 memory
MSI GeForce FX5700 (256 mb memory)
4 x 120 Seagate Barracuda SATA HDD's (I am running 2 RAID 0 config's)
Enermax 550 w switching ps

Nothing has been overclocked. I started updating the drivers for all the devices recently, including the bios for the mb. When the machine is running, it runs awesome! Plays cs:source flawlessly, and HL2. But, within' the last few weeks I noticed that if I shut down the machine totally, wait 5, 10, 15 seconds or more then start the machine, the screens are all garbled. The text is all over the place, some capitalized, some not. It looks messed up. The only way I have been able to bypass this each time is to shut the machine down, short the cmos, then startup and go into the bios. In the bios I reset the sata for the on-chip raid, then I change the -- initialize first video -- from pci to agp. Then finally I adjust the agp aperture size from 128 to 256, then I save and exit. Now I am back to where I began. I tried to re-install the drivers for the video card, update the mb bios, and I even tried to roll back all the drivers... same crap. The next thing I will do soon is restore the pc back to Nov 1 of last year when I know that it was working fine. All this before I try a fresh windows xp pro install. Has anybody heard of any issues like this. Ohhh! When I power down the computer and listen, after it shuts down, I hear a sound from the mb, like the stored power is drained??? This is the point when all the clearing of the cmos begins... Does this make sense?

Please help. Thank you all.

Let me know if you need more info!!
mcv50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-05, 10:57 AM   #2
Daneel Olivaw
Northwood hugger

Default Re: MSI GeForce FX5700 (256mb) problem

Something like this happened to me on my 5900xt, however, all I had to do was shut down and start up again.

You can rule out your CPU, and probably your ram.
If the artifacts are weird colored characters (pink smileys and stuff) that show before windows starts (during post), then a roll back or reinstall of windows will have no impact.

In that case, it's either the mobo, the video card or PSU.
Both the mobo and video card have bioses. Make sure you flashed properly, using the right dos flash tool from abit for the mobo. Even then, I'd think it's not the bioses that are the culprits.

I think it's either overheating, bad voltages or bad video ram. Bad voltages would be caused by your Enemax PSU. Bad video ram would be your video card giving up.

Again, if it happens before Windows Loads, then windows is not to blame, neither are the drivers.

I bet on the video card being near failure. This happened to me 3 times, with varying hardware over 3 years, everytime I just had to reboot and I didn't give it more thought. Freak voltage fluctuation maybe.

But since it happens often to you, mobo or video card or PSU has a problem.

Things you should do is run memtest86 for an hour to see if your CPU and ram are indeed fine. Touch you PSU to make sure it's not warmer than it should be. Check to see that the FX5700's fan is spinning. Test your video card in another comp. If all is fine in another comp for like a day, 3dmark03-01 would be a good test of the card, then it's your mobo or PSU.

I've been hanging around comps for a long time, but I don't know everything. So these are speculations.

Mild agnosticism 葉he view that the existence or nonexistence of God or gods is currently unknown but is not necessarily unknowable, therefore one will withhold judgment until/if more evidence is available. A weak agnostic would say "I don't know, but maybe you do."
Daneel Olivaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-05, 11:02 AM   #3
Daneel Olivaw
Northwood hugger

btw, it's a shame you don't have a P4 2.4C, with the IC7Max3 and that ram, I'm sure you'd be able to run 1:1 with 2.4@3.2 and PAT

Mild agnosticism 葉he view that the existence or nonexistence of God or gods is currently unknown but is not necessarily unknowable, therefore one will withhold judgment until/if more evidence is available. A weak agnostic would say "I don't know, but maybe you do."
Old 01-06-05, 11:25 AM   #4
mcv50

Thanks for the info. I think the problem started when I was messing around in the bios trying to OC the computer, video, and memory. Not sure though. The computer is also watercooled. No fans, except some case fans. Is there a way to reset everything, or clear everything and start over fresh? By clear, i mean, reset the mobo, video card, and whatever else back to original factory setting?

One more thing... MSI provides a 3d overclocking utility which displays the current settings for the video card. This program worked fine a couple of months ago, now when I run it all the current settings display NA (not available...i guess) or display nothing about the card at all... this is strange.

Do you think restoring the computer back a couple of months would help?? I know the computer worked fine back in November.

Thank you for your help.

Last edited by mcv50; 01-06-05 at 12:07 PM.
Old 01-06-05, 02:34 PM   #5
Daneel Olivaw
Northwood hugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcv50
Thanks for the info. I think the problem started when I was messing around in the bios trying to OC the computer, video, and memory. Not sure though. The computer is also watercooled. No fans, except some case fans. Is there a way to reset everything, or clear everything and start over fresh? By clear, i mean, reset the mobo, video card, and whatever else back to original factory setting?
Well, resetting the bios settings (can usually be done in the bios menu) or through a jumper on the mobo. Not likely to be the cause of your problem, unless your AGP/PCI ratios are set to something else than 66/33.

Quote:
One more thing... MSI provides a 3d overclocking utility which displays the current settings for the video card. This program worked fine a couple of months ago, now when I run it all the current settings display NA (not available...i guess) or display nothing about the card at all... this is strange.
Yes, I have an MSI too, since this is only software, I'm guessing the files for it are either missing or corrupt. This is not a very useful software, it actually tends to odownclock the memory back to defaults for no reason. This is not a big problem.

Quote:
Do you think restoring the computer back a couple of months would help?? I know the computer worked fine back in November.

Thank you for your help.
In my opinion, if this reset is software only (windows drivers), no. Unless that MSI tool is overclocking your card without knowing, use coolbits, rivatuner or everest to check. An overclock on the video card is done through software in windows. Overclocks on CPU/RAM is done in mobo bios. Don't flash anything, just reset the options to default. Make sure video is not overclocked in windows. Run memtest86 to test everything except video.

But I need to know if you see the graphical corruption before loading windows. (in the bios, at post, etc)

Old 01-07-05, 08:33 AM   #6
mcv50

Thanks Daneel,

Yesterday I restored the computer to November 1, 2004, and I also switched the video card output from the analog to the digital. What do you know... the problem seemed to have been fixed. Then I tried to restore to a more recent time because HL2 and cs:source were not installed on Nov 1. When I did this the problem came back, through the digital output. I am at work now, but the computer is currently being restored to Nov 1 again. If this solves my problem then I could say it was a windows software issue, otherwise I contacted MSI and they are willing to RMA the card for repairs.

Do you think it might be a direct x problem? How can I check this? What program would you recommend to try and figure out what the problem is?

Thanks again.

Last edited by mcv50; 01-07-05 at 08:42 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old 01-07-05, 09:05 AM   #7
Daneel Olivaw
Northwood hugger

That's one tough cookie...
All I know is DxDiag (you can start from run-dxdiag
apart from that, I run 3dmark tests...

Boy, sorry for my saying that, but you're in one nice little mess!

Are you really really sure that that little MSI software doesn't overclock your card? Check with Rivatuner.

Old 01-07-05, 09:11 AM   #8
mcv50

I will check with rivatuner. And hey, I didn't mean anything by that icon. Just that I am a retard for screwing with my computer when it was working fine before. I learned my lesson. Thanks man.

Old 01-07-05, 09:30 AM   #9
Daneel Olivaw
Northwood hugger

Huh? I didn't take any offense, I actually used that icon in reference to the problem you're having. It's a very weird problem, one might say that when thinking about this problem one's eyes would go

I never thought you or me was retarded !!! I really feel for you, I've had problems that bugged me for hours on end... a while back I had my two 80GB Maxtors on Raid0, and every 2 weeks, one of them would become unreadable, just like that, I'd loose everything! The third time this happened, my GF told me something that still resonates: "Do you need the speed? IMO the time you'd save not having to backup everything all the time because you're afraid your Raid will fail is more time than the few ns you're gaining with that Raid". Well, she didn't say it in so many words, but that's what it meant.

And goddarn it, she's always right.

So we all have our share of ed problems!

Old 01-07-05, 11:29 AM   #10
mcv50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daneel Olivaw
...one might say that when thinking about this problem one's eyes would go
That is exactly what I have been going through. I will know when I get home at 4:30 today if the issue was caused by some strange software incompatability. Thank you for all your help and supporting me through all this crap!

I hope that I provided enough information, and normally I am able to find out why something is happening, but with this I am not sure. Might have started one day when I tried to overclock the system...who knows. I don't always shut down - cold - my system which is why I don't know what I did to start this. I have hope that it is a software thing because I did some stuff last night and the problem seemed corrected then I messed with it again...arrrrrrrgh! I need to just leave it alone if it works.....whats wrong with me... makes me sick
Old 01-07-05, 07:56 PM   #11
mcv50

How do I know if the cmos battery is going bad, or has died?
Old 01-07-05, 09:06 PM   #12
Daneel Olivaw
Northwood hugger

I think if you stop syncing your windows time through the web, the clock will reset everytime you shut down (if the battery is dead)

And generally you would loose all the changes you made in the bios settings, I think.