Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows XP And Vista

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-23-02, 07:50 AM   #1
Raptorman
Former Marine

Send a message via MSN to Raptorman Send a message via Yahoo to Raptorman
Exclamation WinXP Won't Shutdown

Okay, this is really making me mad. Whenever I go to shut down the computer I click on the icon to shut it down, and nothing happens. From there I cannot run any programs or bring up the Windows Task Manager. Eventually, everything disappears off the screen except for my wallpaper. Then, nothing happens.

The only way I can turn it off is to hold the power button until it turns off, and then unplug it until I release the power button. Anyone know how to fix this WinXP screw up?
Not As Mean, Not As Lean, But Still A Marine
Ramadi 2006, 22 MEU 2007
3rd Battalion 8th Marines WPNS CO
"Marines I see as two breeds, Rottweilers or Dobermans, because Marines come in two varieties, big and mean, or skinny and mean. They're aggressive on the attack and tenacious on defense. They've got really short hair and they always go for the throat."
RAdm. "Jay" R. Stark, USN; 10 November 1995
Raptorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-02, 10:12 AM   #2
Matthyahuw

Send a message via ICQ to Matthyahuw Send a message via AIM to Matthyahuw Send a message via Yahoo to Matthyahuw

Has it done this the whole time?
Just started when you installed something? maybe SP1?
I know I had a bunch of issues with SP1 installed, need to reformat and get rid of it...
Old 11-23-02, 12:42 PM   #3
volt

Did you check Power Management in your BIOS ?
[b]Optimization guidelines by Koji Ashida of NVIDIA:[/b][list][*]Use fx12 instructions whenever possible[*]Use lowest pixel shader version[/list][url=http://developer.nvidia.com/docs/IO/10878/ChinaJoy2004_OptimizationAndTools.pdf]source[/url]

[size=1]The politics are invading the technology. We don't really like to mess with politics because that kind of adversarial relationship has nothing to do with pure technical operations and the technical specifications of what we like to play with, the hardware![/size]
volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-02, 07:42 PM   #4
Raptorman
Former Marine

Just started after I had to reboot about 20 times from Combat Flight Simulator 3 locking up. Yes, I have SP1, but its worked fine.

Power Management in my BIOS shouldn't have anything to do with Windows not wanting to shutdown should it?

This thing is irritating me severely.... bloody Micro$oft.
Ramadi 2006, 22 MEU 2007
"Marines I see as two breeds, Rottweilers or Dobermans, because Marines come in two varieties, big and mean, or skinny and mean. They're aggressive on the attack and tenacious on defense. They've got really short hair and they always go for the throat."
Old 11-23-02, 09:00 PM   #5
volt

Yes it could. That's what was happening with my old box. But I don't remember what I changed, and I can't look at it since the mobo is dead.

Some resource:
http://www.aumha.org/a/shtdwnxp.php
[b]Optimization guidelines by Koji Ashida of NVIDIA:[/b][list][*]Use fx12 instructions whenever possible[*]Use lowest pixel shader version[/list][url=http://developer.nvidia.com/docs/IO/10878/ChinaJoy2004_OptimizationAndTools.pdf]source[/url]

[size=1]The politics are invading the technology. We don't really like to mess with politics because that kind of adversarial relationship has nothing to do with pure technical operations and the technical specifications of what we like to play with, the hardware![/size]

Last edited by volt; 11-23-02 at 09:03 PM.
volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-02, 10:30 PM   #6
Raptorman
Former Marine

Well, I checked the BIOS just in case. I didn't notice anything that would lead to a sollution to this.

Arghhh....
Ramadi 2006, 22 MEU 2007