Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA FreeBSD

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-27-04, 08:56 AM   #1
raul_assis

Unhappy Very strange problem of Nvidia driver 6113 in FreeBSD 5.3. Please help!!

Hi,
I installed FreeBSD 5.3 on my computer, configured X, installed Nvidia 6113 drivers using the ports. All went well and the driver was working great. I even played Doom3!! But a series of power cuts made my file system behave strangely so I decided to reinstall my system. I made the same steps (X configuration using the very same file of the previous install and install of the Nvidia driver using the ports). I commented the Load "dri" line in the Module section and changed Driver "nv" to Driver "nvidia" in the Device section. The /boot/loader.conf file was ok with the linux_load and nvidia_load set to "YES". All was like the previous FreeBSD installation.

To my surprise, the system hangs as soon as I tape startx. No graphics, no Ctrl+Alt+Bkspace, no Alt+F1, no nothing. Only the reset button.
When I boot again the /var/log/Xorg.log.0 file is empty and sometimes the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file is completly empty (maybe because of the reset button)
Have any one come to the same problem? How something works and a week later doesn't?
Using DRI is also no option as openGL is very slow when using DRI and the default nv driver.

Please help!!

Regards,
raul_assis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-04, 04:42 PM   #2
raul_assis

Thumbs down Re: Very strange problem of Nvidia driver 6113 in FreeBSD 5.3. Please help!!

It seems like 6113 version of the driver does not support FreeBSD 5.3 since I installed the FreeBSD 5.2.1 and all worked fine. No crashes, no extra configuration (just commented out "Load dri" in the Module section and change "nv" for "nvidia" in the Device section). Probably is best to wait for a new version of the nvidia driver
The funny thing is that Nvidia claims that their driver supports 5.2.1 or above. Well, 5.3 is not supported, at least on my system.
Old 11-29-04, 11:13 AM   #3
endx7

Default Re: Very strange problem of Nvidia driver 6113 in FreeBSD 5.3. Please help!!

I'm running 5.3 and the nvidia driver works fine for me.

Can you ssh from another machine after it appears to hang? On occasion even if X appears to freak out and completely die, the machine may be still usable remotely.

If sshing on is not an option, you could -try- having it sync after hang just to get a log file. Something like:
# (sleep 60 ; sync; sync; sync)
% startx &
Wait about 2 minutes, then reset.
endx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-04, 06:46 PM   #4
raul_assis

Smile Re: Very strange problem of Nvidia driver 6113 in FreeBSD 5.3. Please help!!

I figured out the problem!!!! By the time I wrote my cvsup file I was unexperienced using freebsd and I had an src-all specified in that file. This means that when I cvsup my system, the entire kernel source is updated. So, if later I install the Nvidia driver it gets compiled against this updated kernel source. Since I'm running a kernel that is different from the kernel source, the driver hangs the entire system. It would be nice if the compile script or Makefile of the Nvidia driver could check if the kernel source matches the running kernel and issue a warning or something.
Compiling a new kernel from the updated kernel source is not an option to me since other packages, that depend from the previous kernel could crash. I would have to update the whole packages and that could take ages downloading and compiling.Also, I have limited downloads from my ISP.
So, I reinstalled the whole system and upgraded only the ports tree and installed the driver with no problems.
Old 12-12-04, 07:54 PM   #5
kayoux1025

Default Re: Very strange problem of Nvidia driver 6113 in FreeBSD 5.3. Please help!!

Hi,

I believe I have the same problem as you. I'm running a different kernel than the one that was installed (is this what you mean?). My distribution is Red Hat 9.

When I boot with the XF86Config file for the new Nvidia driver, the system shows a white screen with Nvidia written on it. Then, the system hangs there.

Is there any other solution than the one you mentioned. I really don't want to reinstall my system.

Thank you,

Yvan
kayoux1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-05, 05:59 PM   #6
yurivict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayoux1025
Hi,

I believe I have the same problem as you. I'm running a different kernel than the one that was installed (is this what you mean?). My distribution is Red Hat 9.

When I boot with the XF86Config file for the new Nvidia driver, the system shows a white screen with Nvidia written on it. Then, the system hangs there.

Is there any other solution than the one you mentioned. I really don't want to reinstall my system.

Thank you,

Yvan
I have similar problem on FreeBSD 5.3 with NVidia driver 6113.
If I let xscreensaver to run on it -- after few hours system becomes unstable, hangs.
If no screensaver -- just my OpenGLs -- seems to be fine. Maybe just too little exposure.

I saw somewhere here that NVidia was going to release new version "in the near future".

NVidia -- how near is this future ?

Thanx,
Yuri
yurivict is offline   Reply With Quote