Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-18-05, 10:29 PM   #1
Claptonvaughn

Question Problem updating motherboard

Motherboard name: ECS L7VMM2
Chipset: VIA VT8375 ProSavageDDR KM266

I've gone to both of their websites, and tried to download their newest drivers. The ones I'm most interested in are the 4in1 drivers. Anyways, when I tried to install them, it gives me an error messae:

C:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'close' to terminate the application.

What's going on?

On a side note, I recently tried to install a Leadtek 6600GT AGP. My PC powers up, but the monitor doesn't show anything. By the sound my PC is making, I can also tell that it's not successfully booting up. The hard drive light in constantly on, when it normally stops after a little blinking. Does this sound like a driver issue, or hardware?

Please help!
Claptonvaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-05, 11:39 PM   #2
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Default Re: Problem updating motherboard

The latest drivers aren't going to play nicely on a chipset that old. If you go to www.viaarena.com you'll see that they specifically state this. If you want support for an older chipset, they have a link to a legacy set that's the last known, optimized build for the 266x line.

There also probably is a compatibility problem between the AGP voltage the video card needs and what the motherboard is providing. Have you tried the card in a newer PC?
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-05, 12:10 AM   #3
Claptonvaughn

I haven't tried it on another PC yet, but I'll try to install on my friend's later this week.

How much should I expect to spend on a new motherboard...that will utilize the 6600GT? I'd like to spend less than $100. The less the better.
Old 01-19-05, 12:13 AM   #4
Clay

Are you looking to buy an AGP or PCI-E version of the 6600GT?

Also, are you going with an AMD or Intel CPU?
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-05, 12:20 AM   #5
Claptonvaughn

Well, I already have a 6600GT AGP, so it'll be an AGP mobo for me. This is actually more of a family's PC I'm using, so in a few years when I'm out of home I'll have my own. That's why I don't exactly need a gaming beast right now.

I would like to keep my AMD 2.6 processor as well...to save money.

Pretty much what I'm asking is a motherboard that supports AGP 8X, can DEFINETLY support my new video card. I'm going to transfer my hard drives and DVD-roms over too, but I don't see any problem in that so it kind of goes without saying that the mobo should be compatible with them as well.

Can it be done for 50-60 bucks, folks?
Old 01-19-05, 12:31 AM   #6
Clay

Absolutely, there are many options in that price range. I'd suggest that you go somewhere like Newegg and use their motherboard configurator to narrow down all of their offerings specific to your needs. They have motherboards that can be had from ~$35 and up...many of which are in the $40~$50 range.
Old 01-19-05, 12:47 AM   #7
Claptonvaughn

What motherboard stats should I be looking at?

I know to look for AGP 8X, and the AMD compatibility...but how about the processor fit? Everest Home Edition tells me my CPU 453 pin, which I assume is describing the AMD chip. I don't see that number anywhere on Newegg.

Also, is there a way to make sure it'll support an AMD 2.6? Or if it's AGP 8X can I assume it can probably support an AMD processor a lot higher than a 2.6?
Old 01-19-05, 01:08 AM   #8
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

You must have a 2600+ Athlon XP, which operates at 2.1 GHz. Most any recent motherboard will support it. The best overall boards utilize the NVIDIA nForce2 chipset. They have good performance along with stable drivers. Just about any board will do so choose whichever one best fits your price range. In addition, the optimizations of the newer chipset will allow you to take better advantage of your CPU so your system will feel faster than on your old board.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-05, 08:24 PM   #9
Claptonvaughn

How about dimensions? How do I make sure my tower can fit the motherboard? I see that a lot of them come in different sizes but none of them mention specific measurements.
Old 01-19-05, 08:27 PM   #10
Clay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claptonvaughn
How about dimensions? How do I make sure my tower can fit the motherboard? I see that a lot of them come in different sizes but none of them mention specific measurements.
Unless you have a SFF case (small form factor) then I'd say with 99% certainty that you have an ATX form factor case. In which case you'll want an ATX motherboard..which will be about 99% of the motherboards you'll be looking at.