Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Closed Thread

Old 01-30-05, 03:27 AM   #13
Vagrant Zero
I'm a Back Door Man

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant Zero
Default Re: mandatory monthly anti-ATI goodness

I don't understand why ATI fanboys would have Nvidia cards in their systems [*cough cough* Lookin' at you Fallguy]. That's like a Preist saying sex is bad while he's doing the male population of Mrs. Merriweather's kindergarten class.
Old 01-30-05, 04:48 AM   #14
life of budha
space out like budha

Send a message via AIM to life of budha

ATI doesent suck and nvidia doesent suck.. for power the older ATI gpu like 9600 pro up to 9800 pro were better then the nvidia fx cards dont lie! I go with nvidia because everything is easier to configure like drivers overclocking etc... so in the long run I will go with nvidia inless ati gets cheaper?
Old 01-30-05, 04:48 AM   #15
gram_vaz
Cybersix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant Zero
I don't understand why ATI fanboys would have Nvidia cards in their systems [*cough cough* Lookin' at you Fallguy]. That's like a Preist saying sex is bad while he's doing the male population of Mrs. Merriweather's kindergarten class.
why is it fanboisim to not bash either side? i was just saying both sides make good cards. both have advantages and disadvantages. i didn't mean to offend anyone. i didn't expect anyone to take my comments personally.
Old 01-30-05, 09:44 AM   #16
oldsk00l

Quote:
Originally Posted by life of budha
ATI doesent suck and nvidia doesent suck.. for power the older ATI gpu like 9600 pro up to 9800 pro were better then the nvidia fx cards dont lie! I go with nvidia because everything is easier to configure like drivers overclocking etc... so in the long run I will go with nvidia inless ati gets cheaper?
I'll give you that. ATI makes decent hw.

Doesn't hold a candle to the nv4x but that's a whole different discussion.

When you're on any linux forum (even the linux forum of an ATI fan-site)...ATI sucks.

It sucks so much that it's on a whole new level of being pathetic when you look at it from the nVidia users perspective, and are in the nV-fansite forum.
Old 01-30-05, 09:29 PM   #17
gram_vaz
Cybersix

i've been to my fair share of linux forums and it isn't so much that ppl think ati sucks as they say that ati's linux drivers suck.

Last edited by gram_vaz; 01-31-05 at 06:14 AM.
Old 01-30-05, 10:05 PM   #18
Vagrant Zero
I'm a Back Door Man

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by gram_vaz
why is it fanboisim to not bash either side? i was just saying both sides make good cards. both have advantages and disadvantages. i didn't mean to offend anyone. i didn't expect anyone to take my comments personally.
My comments we're primarily aimed at Fallguy. He pisses me the hell off everytime I lurk over at Hard. Guy needs to be shot, principles and all that. You give head to ATI at least have the decency to actually have an ATI card in your rig.
Old 01-30-05, 10:10 PM   #19
gram_vaz
Cybersix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant Zero
My comments we're primarily aimed at Fallguy. He pisses me the hell off everytime I lurk over at Hard. Guy needs to be shot, principles and all that. You give head to ATI at least have the decency to actually have an ATI card in your rig.
oh, i didn't know 'fallguy' was someone's screenname. i thought u meant me as the thread's fallguy since everyone's ganging up on me.

as for talking good about ati, i do have a ati card. but i also talk good about nvidia. i don't think either side 'sucks'.
Old 01-30-05, 11:03 PM   #20
Razor1

well looking at ATi's overall performance with Ogl and Linux, the end results could be because of hardware issues,

Quote:
GL commands are formed from a name followed, depending on the particular
command, by up to 4 characters. The first character indicates the number of values
of the indicated type that must be presented to the command. The second character
or character pair indicates the specific type of the arguments: 8-bit integer, 16-bit
integer, 32-bit integer, single-precision floating-point, or double-precision floatingpoint.
From Opengl specs pdf

Floating point operations are done in either single precision which is 32 bit or double precision counter part which is 64 bit.

Now take bits are always in powers of 2s so 2, 4, 16, 32, 64

So ATi's cards under opengl might be coverting to 24 bit which would be very slow if they are.

Old 01-30-05, 11:11 PM   #21
gram_vaz
Cybersix

hmm, that could explain it. but even though nvidia hardware is capable of fp32bit it takes a huge performance hit when doing so. vast majority of the time it runs in fp16. even nvidia tells developers to only use fp16 precision for ps2.0 and ps3.0 even though ps3.0 calls for full fp32 precision all the time. i still think it's most likely do to drivers.
Old 01-30-05, 11:16 PM   #22
Razor1

well those 8 extra bits is alot more work 8bits out of 32 bits is 33% .

The gf 6 lines don't take that much of a hit, only like 5 % because its registries can handle the extra load, the fx on the other hand couldn't and this is what really hurt them, and thats why they forced 16 bit to be done in the fx drivers (they did remove this after the gf 6 came out)
Old 01-30-05, 11:23 PM   #23
gram_vaz
Cybersix

here's a thread at these very forums about ps3.0. it does seem to be faster but it's only partial ps3.0 from what the author of that program wrote since using ps3.0 in full fp32 precision does cost a performance hit. http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=36007

Last edited by gram_vaz; 01-30-05 at 11:41 PM.
Old 01-30-05, 11:48 PM   #24
Razor1

not sure which demo they are talking about ( I have the 8,5 sdk installed here) and I just checked there aren't any samples here that you can switch from 16 to 32 bit.
Closed Thread