Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Closed Thread

Old 02-06-05, 01:03 AM   #49
superklye

Default Re: mandatory monthly anti-ATI goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnotaku
Because they have absolutely zero other arguements. They are unable to debate about what is going on today, how we are winning the war on terror (how many terrorist attacks have there been on US soil since 9/11?) so they will simply attack Christians/Western civilization about things that happened more than half a dozen centuries ago.

C'mon superkyle, you should know better.
yeah, yeah...you're right. *puts on "dunce" cap and sits in corner*
Old 02-06-05, 01:55 AM   #50
oldsk00l

To keep things on topic, YES, ATI SUCKS.
Old 02-06-05, 02:01 AM   #51
oldsk00l

Oh and just for measure, their suckage does not come from here...BUT FROM ATI USERS.

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33800066

Quote:

I can also state without a doubt that enabling Vertex Buffer Objects renders UT2004 unplayable (I'm using the demo). I didn't even bother going past the main menu before exiting and turning it back off.
So much for codebase sync with catalyst....

But there's more!
Quote:
After a bit of fun testing since the new driver came out I found that I get slowdowns whenever there are a lot of other players (bots or otherwise) visible on the screen. I turn around and the game runs zippy as can be, but look back at the players and the game stutters along.
I think that there are even more stutters when there is heavy action and vehicles. Even large maps run really fast if there are no other players visible.

I did not have this problem with the older driver...I had different problems

Anyone else have this same issue with the new ATi driver?
oh and this gold

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33802382

Quote:
The livna team has released a repackaged version for fedora, running it now in fc2. Can't say it's stable, but that's ATi's fault I guess, since the original RPM was also unstable for me. However, as long as I don't run doom3 or restart the Xserver, it seems to be more or less ok.

find package on: http://rpm.livna.org/fedora/2/i386/SRPMS.unstable/

and something similar for fc3
Let's not forget the department of redundancy department

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33802408

Quote:
Considering the patch was released 2 weeks before the driver, I say, sure they should have fixed 2.6.10 compatibility, but hey, it's ATI we're talking about here, they have "procedures".
I too used sed -i on agpgart_be.c on the previous driver revision but used the patch this time around.
I didn't quite like 2.6.10 at the time and figured it would make it simpler to build for an older kernel if 2.6.10 proved to be too much of a pain.
...the damned thing would cache in the swap during big files transfer over NFS before I patched it.

As for the libstdc++ situation, i think it has more to do with how the closed part was compiled as opposed to what it was compiled with.
I've had the 3.2.9 and the 3.11.1 driver installed on that box and never encountered any such problem before.
Looks to me like it's now compiled with --enable-static ...but I'm no expert.
One thing for sure is that it's definitely not because these older driver were compiled with gcc-3.4 and this one isn't.

Anyhow I just thought I'd hint you on the fact that you're not the only one who had to hack gcc compat libs on a non standard system and it *doesn't seem* to created unexpected side effects.
Now, can anyone with sound mind say that ATI doesn't suck??? Or, need I go further??
Old 02-06-05, 02:06 AM   #52
oldsk00l

nah, I am bored, I'm not going to stop there

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showpost...6&postcount=10

Quote:
ATI has a fairly large Linux team devoted to their Xilleon set-top box product. I don't know any numbers, but it is probably more than a few programmers. Mind you this has nothing to do with radeon driver development, and I doubt any of those people have ever touched the radeon code base.

About the Linux developers not have access to the windows source, I really doubt that. Especially if you take this post into consideration: http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-help/2004-05/msg00237.html.

Whether they use the windows code or not is a different story...
and from the quoted URL...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Tippett...ATI's head of Linux driver development
Hello,

I am looking at having a gcc-3.3.3 that runs under windows and generates linux binaries.

Does anyone one know of any references for building a gcc.exe that generates binaries for Linux under Windows?

Regards,

Matthew
and for those too lazy to find out what cygwin is...it's a linux environment for Windows...

taken from the cygwin homepage

Quote:
# Cygwin is not a way to run native linux apps on Windows. You have to rebuild your application from source if you want to get it running on Windows.
# Cygwin is not a way to magically make native Windows apps aware of UNIX ® functionality, like signals, ptys, etc. Again, you need to build your apps from source if you want to take advantage of Cygwin functionality.
ahh yes, suckage must......suck...bahahahahaha
Old 02-06-05, 07:21 AM   #53
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsk00l
Now, can anyone with sound mind say that ATI doesn't suck??? Or, need I go further??
You're preaching to the choir my friend. If they can't get their Windows drivers right, what hope do Linux users have?
Old 02-07-05, 02:16 AM   #54
Acid Rain
What a sweet little...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsk00l
I'll give you that. ATI makes decent hw.
Decent if defective is your thing. The RMA ratio for ATi is insane, and both of my high end ATi purchases led to badness.

Hosed bois chip on the 8500 and a 9800Pro with memory that couldn't hold up in Doom 3, even with AC and great case ventilation. Had to downclock from stock, like MANY users of the 9800, just to remove artifacts. SAD.

Two very different products, two very different card batches, and I got hosed, TWICE.

On the other hand, I've never experienced 1 (as in ONE) hardware related defect with any NV purchase I've made, and I've made quite a few...

My girlfriend's dad is still using my old modded and OCed Geforce 2 Ultra I bought years ago for 500 dollars!!!
RAM: 4GB KHX6400D2LLK2
3D Porkware: Radeon HD 4890
Aux Equipment: Phase-B Nanocycloptics
Old 02-07-05, 10:12 AM   #55
oldsk00l

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowcast
Decent if defective is your thing. The RMA ratio for ATi is insane, and both of my high end ATi purchases led to badness.

Hosed bois chip on the 8500 and a 9800Pro with memory that couldn't hold up in Doom 3, even with AC and great case ventilation. Had to downclock from stock, like MANY users of the 9800, just to remove artifacts. SAD.

Two very different products, two very different card batches, and I got hosed, TWICE.

On the other hand, I've never experienced 1 (as in ONE) hardware related defect with any NV purchase I've made, and I've made quite a few...

My girlfriend's dad is still using my old modded and OCed Geforce 2 Ultra I bought years ago for 500 dollars!!!
Well, I was referring to their actual ASIC engineering. But you're right, their cards suck too
Old 02-21-05, 07:35 PM   #56
MustangSVT
Stop looking at me

This thread is ridiculous. Some of you are trying to start making this place like Rage3D. You have to be an idiot to think ATI hardware is crap. Their cards rock just like nVIDIA's new line. I'm not going to mention the GeForce FX which after buying a new 6800 and seeing the more modern DX9 results of the FX, I took a big breath and was happy that I didn't take my chances with one.

Anyway, the reason I visit this place is because people don't bash ATI and are fair. In my opinion, you Oldsk00l and all the others of you who are behaving like him should be banned from this forum for nonsense like this. Take your fanboyism somewhere else.

2. Q9550 @ 3.7, ASUS P5K, Galaxy 8800GT G92, 2GB Mushkin DDR2-1066, Samsung 710N + Samsung 205BW, Audigy 2 + SB Live! 5.1 (hooked up together, really), dad's comp

3. XP-M 2500+ @ 205x11.5, Gigabyte nForce2-400, GeForce4 Ti4200, 2x512MB OCZ DDR-400 "Premier", oldie

Old 02-21-05, 08:20 PM   #57
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Not a one of us has said ATI's hardware is bad. But what good is having stellar hardware when you have sub-par software on which to run it? That was the point, which obviously flew right over your head.

And before you jump on the fanboy high horse, I've owned the following ATI cards: Radeon 8500, 9500, 9800 Pro and 2 X800 Pros (1 VIVO flashed to XT).
Old 02-22-05, 01:01 AM   #58
gram_vaz
Cybersix

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangSVT
This thread is ridiculous. Some of you are trying to start making this place like Rage3D. You have to be an idiot to think ATI hardware is crap. Their cards rock just like nVIDIA's new line. I'm not going to mention the GeForce FX which after buying a new 6800 and seeing the more modern DX9 results of the FX, I took a big breath and was happy that I didn't take my chances with one.

Anyway, the reason I visit this place is because people don't bash ATI and are fair. In my opinion, you Oldsk00l and all the others of you who are behaving like him should be banned from this forum for nonsense like this. Take your fanboyism somewhere else.
QFT

as for ati software not being good. ati linux drivers may not be good. but i never game in linux so that was never an issue for me. and i've never had any problems with ati drivers in windows. i was very happy with my 9600xt as i'm very happy with my 6800gt currently.
Old 02-22-05, 05:18 AM   #59
ChrisRay

Jesus. How the hell did this thread get so off topic? Can we please discuss the topic at hand?
|CPU: Intel I7 Lynnfield @ 3.0 Ghz|Mobo:Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer |Memory:8 Gigs DDR3 1333|Video:Geforce GTX 295 Quad SLI|Monitor:Samsung Syncmaster 1680x1080 3D Vision\/Olevia 27 Inch Widescreen HDTV 1920x1080

|CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.5 Ghz|Mobo:Asus M3n HT Deluxe Nforce 780A|Memory: 4 gigs DDR2 800| Video: Geforce GTX 280x2 SLI

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

NVIDIA User Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members
Old 02-22-05, 08:23 AM   #60
Riptide

I wish ATI would hurry up and fix their linux drivers. I brought my pocketec USB drive over to my buddy's house and Linux recognized it without any problems. Plug it in and it worked. Looks like they're finally starting to get there with it. Paying $90 for SUSE 9.2 sure beats $299 for XP. Problem is I don't want to sell my PE so I'm stuck.
Closed Thread