Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-24-02, 07:23 PM   #1
Kapp

Send a message via ICQ to Kapp Send a message via AIM to Kapp
Default Looking for some suggestions!

Hey, I was just looking for some suggestions. I am a big music freak and want the loudest, clearist digital music possible. I currently have a SB Audigy. I just wanted to know a few things. I am about to upgrade my sound system...I have a POS 5 piece surround CA speakers. But if you guys could give me some feedback on these few quiestions it would be great!

Is it worth upgrading to the SB Audigy 2? Will I hear any difference?

Also as far as speakers go..am I able to get 6.1 speakers to work with my SB Audigy? I never had digital speakers before but I am really intrested in getting them. What is the best way to get the best sound out of my Audigy?

Any suggestions would help!

THANKS!
Kapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-02, 07:41 PM   #2
The Baron

The best way is to get a home audio system with a good Dolby Digital/DTS receiver, preferably a high-end Sony model (I think the DE945 is the highest non-ES model) and some good speakers. uBid is a great place to look for speakers, believe it or not--my bro got a $300 sub for $100, and is about to buy a pair of Tannoy speakers.
Old 11-24-02, 07:42 PM   #3
thcdru2k

Send a message via ICQ to thcdru2k Send a message via AIM to thcdru2k

it's all about speakers and a good amp. audigy should be good enough for music.

11118 3DMarks
thcdru2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-02, 08:54 PM   #4
CWB

This is wierd, but: I had SB Live 5.1 and 5.1 speakers. I just bought Audigy2, used it for 2 days, and today returned it for Audigy. The Audigy 2 was clearer than the Live, high end alot cleaner, eliminated the crackling in Operation Flashpoint, etc., and all my games were noticeably faster (alot less CPU overhead), BUT:

-Even with sub maxed and same in Surround Mixer, the bass was nowhere near as deep as Live. Not just slight difference, I could easily tell in music, games, even Windows sounds (!).
-High end too "tinny". Over-all sounded like bass turned way down and treble maxed. Playing with Mixer helped but didnt fix.
-Speaker Calibration reported my speakers as wired wrong (neg. on pos. and vice versa, which I know to be untrue), and speakers popped during Windows startup.
-Unlike Live, driver interface seems a mess, with controls that used to all be in one place (AudioHQ) now divided between AHQ and a cheesy "Creative Volume Control", which caused problems if not allowed to load on start. So now to have easy access to all settings, I had to let 2 items load on start, plus there were even more than the usual gaggle of startup items & services that Creative is loathed for to hunt down and turn off.
-Stupid Splash Screen which slows Windows start kept coming back on even when I unchecked "Load on Start". My impression of drivers=cheap and sloppy.

After 2 days use, I was disappointed (especially since it was $129 which is more than Ive ever paid for a soundcard), so today I took it back and got Audigy. It seems to be best of both Aud2 & Live; all games still surprisingly faster than Live, sounds better than Live but retains powerful bass and non-"dog-whistle" high-end, same convenient driver interface with some improvements, fixes all crackling (OpFlash), speakers dont pop at start, and on top of all that it was $30 less. I was disgusted with Audigy2, but Im completely happy with Audigy, and its still a upgrade from my Live.

EDIT: I play games alot more than I listen to music, so your impressions/requirements may be different. All the reviews I read prior to purchase said that Audigy2 was much better than Audigy; I personally dont agree, but thats just my experience.

Last edited by CWB; 11-24-02 at 09:02 PM.
CWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-02, 02:30 PM   #5
Kapp

Well I pretty much play games and listen to music about the same amount. What would be a good set of 6.1 digital speakers that would work great with my audigy? I'm not looking to pay over 400 dollars for a pair of computer speakers..that is totally insane..my car sound system is better anyways..lol but give me some feedback!
Old 11-25-02, 09:18 PM   #6
StealthHawk

Default Re: Looking for some suggestions!

Quote:
Originally posted by Kapp
Also as far as speakers go..am I able to get 6.1 speakers to work with my SB Audigy? I never had digital speakers before but I am really intrested in getting them. What is the best way to get the best sound out of my Audigy?
no, you can't use a 6.1 setup with an Audigy 1. only with an Audigy 2. and it maxes out there, it won't support 7.1, not like it really matters.

the Audigy 1 supports up to 5.1
Old 11-25-02, 09:38 PM   #7
thcdru2k

Send a message via ICQ to thcdru2k Send a message via AIM to thcdru2k

and like any games support 6.1.

11118 3DMarks
thcdru2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-02, 10:08 PM   #8
StealthHawk

Quote:
Originally posted by thcdru2k
i assume that he wants it for movies. it's not like many games support 5.1 either.

Old 11-25-02, 10:25 PM   #9
The Baron

There might be 15 movies that support 6.1...
Old 11-25-02, 10:43 PM   #10
Kapp

StealthHawk quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by thcdru2k
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i assume that he wants it for movies. it's not like many games support 5.1 either.

----

Games don't support 5.1? What the hell? I thought 5.1 supports all games?
Old 11-25-02, 11:19 PM   #11
The Baron

Games have to have Dolby Digital support in order to use full 5.1 support. Otherwise, I think it's 4 channel (through EAX or something like that) that's expanded into 5.1.
Old 11-26-02, 06:24 AM   #12
Kapp

So if i get 5.1 speakers my game sound wont work??????????