Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-26-02, 08:04 AM   #13
The Baron

Your games will work, they just won't use all 5 speakers and the sub.
Old 11-26-02, 12:49 PM   #14
FastM
GeForceFlop

Send a message via ICQ to FastM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kapp
So if i get 5.1 speakers my game sound wont work??????????
Of course you will get sound from all your speakers, but its just copied from the 2 front channels, intead of having true surround.

Same way playing an MP3 would sound.
FastM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-02, 03:04 PM   #15
Kapp

Send a message via ICQ to Kapp Send a message via AIM to Kapp

Well what do I have to do to get my surround sound working with mp3s?
Kapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-02, 03:29 PM   #16
FastM
GeForceFlop

i just said you WILL get sound from your rear speakers when playing games and playing mp3's. But it will be the same sound that comes from the front speakers to.

In a true Surround situation only Sounds that come from behind you will come out of the rear speakers, and like some people said here hardly any games support that.
(1MB L2 cache, 2.0GHz) | Radeon® Xpress 200M | 1GB DDR333 | ATI® MOBILITY™ RADEON® X700 128MB | Realtek ALC250 | Toshiba MK-1032GAX 100GB 16m | Matsh1ta UJ-845S 8x DVD Burner | WSXGA+ 15.4" 1680x1050 | The Ferrari 4005 |
Old 11-26-02, 03:57 PM   #17
Kapp

Oh..alright..but overall if i got surround sound digital 5.1 speakers I will get better sound then I have now from these 5 piece speaker set made by CA? And my Sub woofer will work? WIll it be digital sound atleast??
Old 11-26-02, 04:15 PM   #18
FastM
GeForceFlop

As long as you have a Soundcard with a Digital-Out and a speaker system that can use a Digital Signal you'll be fine. And yes either way your sub-woofer will always work. But dont be fooled by digital, its really nothing speacial. IMO you should spend the money on a higher quality non-digital system and the sound will be the same if not better. The Digital part is only for tranporting the signal to the speakers, having it digital ensures you wont loose any signal quality on the way or pick up interference, it does not really make it sound better.
Old 11-26-02, 04:50 PM   #19
Kapp

really? so i won't hear any sound difference?
Old 11-26-02, 05:07 PM   #20
thcdru2k

Send a message via ICQ to thcdru2k Send a message via AIM to thcdru2k

nope.

11118 3DMarks
thcdru2k is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-02, 05:11 PM   #21
Kapp

i think thats crazy. my digital mp3 player sounds soo good. how by using digital speakers won't i hear a difference? also won't better speakers make me be able to put my sound higher?? i know it makes it sound clearer and stuff??
Old 11-26-02, 05:21 PM   #22
fastguy94416
The Shadow

its marketing BS, don't fall into that trap. If you have $3000 dollar speakers you might be able to tell the difference between digital and analog and thats only if you use true cd quality, like 240kbps mp3's
fastguy94416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-02, 05:46 PM   #23
FastM
GeForceFlop

your MP3 player is called Digital because the songs are stored Digitaly, same way as your HardDrive, same as a CD. Tapes are not Digital.

Notice how creative is really the only one selling Digital Sound Systems? Well they were hoping people would fall into the trap with the Digital-out's on the sound card. The only difference between a Digital Sound System and a normal one is that the Digital sound system has a built in DAC (Digital to Analog Converter). Like i mentioned before, you kinda want the source to stay digital as long as possible before coming out of your speakers (speakers are Analog) that way the signal does not degrade or pick up interference, in reality good quality wires will always prevent that.

When you talk high end, You have a CD-players with a DAC that connects to a pre-amp. Once the signal leaves the CD-player it is Analog, the pre-amp forwards it to the amp with the proper volume control, then to the speakers. Mid-Range systems have the Amplifier and Pre-Amp built into 1 peice usualy called a reciever. So you see, sound clarity at high volume has nothing to do with a Digital source (well if your source in the first place is crap, then it will never sound good...) Digital just makes sure you never loose quality over time, like sound tapes or VHS tapes did. Good quality sound at high volume has more to do with a good quality amplifier and speakers.

Last edited by FastM; 11-26-02 at 05:53 PM.
Old 11-26-02, 05:59 PM   #24
Kapp

Well all i've got right now are these 5 set CA speakers (yes the ones you always see them throwing into a computer package on tv) They only cost like 80 bucks..so I think i will hear a difference if i get 5.1 speakers..alot of people are telling 5.1 gets the best out of your audigy.

I was looking at speakers like:

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm?pa...9&languageid=1

and

http://www.americas.creative.com/pro...maincategory=3

Tell me what you think. I'm not looking to spend over 400 on speakers.

thanks!