Nv40
Agent-Fx

Default D3 modding community is having a hard time

read there..

http://www.forumplanet.com/planetdoo...08&tid=1588482

and later here..

http://www.forumplanet.com/planetdoo...id=1584045&p=1

Quote:

Hey, I gotta comment. I would love some good Doom3 mods. I'm really looking foward to the Hexen mod-- that team looks like they're got their stuff together, and I'm a sucker for adventure-style games. (and in combination with an fps, woot!) Any other SP mods would rock.

However, I'm doubting the multiplayer ability of the engine. Even with the included 4-player deathmatch, I can't get a smooth game. I have a top-of the line computer on a T-something line (college), and get great framerates, and low latencies, yet it plays very choppy in how other players move. The movement of others is anything but fluid, and it's very jerky, no matter what server I play at. What makes me think that this problem won't go away with a mod is that I had been following the D3F project extensively. I'd be on their IRC all the time, and posting on their forums on a regular basis. I'm actually still around with the RA: Source community, a new project led by Photeknix. Several experts on coding over at D3F have deemed the code unsuitable for a multiplayer game with more than a handful of people (and like I said, even with a handful of people it doens't run smoothly) Apparently the reason has something to do with the pyhysics calculations, or something that I don't remember. (their forums have been down for a while) They indefinitely postponed the project due to netcode limitations, which is NOT a good sign. These guys know their ****, and have experiented and tried different things with no luck. This is why I don't have much faith in Doom3's multiplayer ability

Doom3fortress was cancelled too..
the JEdi MOd also is having "problems" but they assured people that it was about lack of animators in their team.. not about the game.
it looks to me more and more that Doom3 was never intended for multiplayer expereince (even john carmack) in an earlier quake Con before the the last one ,that multiplayer was a no go for the game. but seems that later he added the code at the last minute..

here an old list of Mods for Doom3 ,some of them are already cancelled.

http://www.forumplanet.com/planetdoo...08&tid=1565511

it looks to me that unless RAven rescue the gaming community with Quake4. there will be no hopes for the mod community .. more when you have so many others great games.. with very good support . in my opinion the Doom3 mod community will need a real miracle to happen if we want to see the a mod as good at least as quake3 was. i say "as good" because quake2 was much bigger. its an Irony that this time is the other way around.. QUake3 was heavily criticized for not having a true SIngle player game. it was merely a massive deathmatch game. (a really good one). so it limited the mod community greatly for developing single player mods.. now its the opposite in Doom3 . and we have non existant multiplayer capabilities of the game ,to encourage people to play it online. just like Hl2 or Unrealt2004 or COD does.

Last edited by Nv40; 01-26-05 at 12:51 AM.
Nv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-05, 12:44 AM   #2
nutcrackr
Super Registered User

Default Re: D3 modding community is having a hard time

Yep the doom 3 mod scene is struggling, lots of mods moved or cancelled. Hopefully we can get a few gems to increase the community and bring in more modders.
nutcrackr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-05, 01:13 AM   #3
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Am I the only one that was more interested in single-player mod content than multiplayer content for Doom 3? Even if the netcode was good, the engine just seems more suited to single-player games. So to me it's not really a huge deal, although it is a bit strange seeing how all previous ID games were practically MADE for multiplayer.

Although I am wondering why the netcode for the game seems to be so poor...wonder if they fixed up any of it for the Xbox port. I mean, they'd have to in order to get coop play working smoothly, right?
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-05, 01:38 AM   #4
Nv40
Agent-Fx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
Am I the only one that was more interested in single-player mod content than multiplayer content for Doom 3? Even if the netcode was good, the engine just seems more suited to single-player games. So to me it's not really a huge deal, although it is a bit strange seeing how all previous ID games were practically MADE for multiplayer.

Although I am wondering why the netcode for the game seems to be so poor...wonder if they fixed up any of it for the Xbox port. I mean, they'd have to in order to get coop play working smoothly, right?

Single player mods takes far more time to create ,since you not only need to create the level .. usually a very BIG one.. it also will have monsters there and scripted sequences.. a lot of work.. that make take them many months for how much 10 minutes of gameplay?

with multiplayer in the other side the futureproof of the game can last years people playing it , in the same map again and again, just like it was with quakes games ,counterstrikes or unreal tournaments/. the challenge of Doom3 mod community it will be to keep its interest in the game . the Domino effect of people cancelling their MP mods can persuade also people doing SP mods to continue working in a game ,that no body plays anymore online. just imagine HL without any MP support.. without any counterstrike did you think the community will be as BIG as it was without it? probably the game will not sell 1/10 of the copies it sold,, if it werent for its rock solid MP. even if we dont have plans to play it online.. its helps alot that there is also solid MP ,to motivate the community to keep the interest in the game.

if you ask me.. any games that doesnt ship today with Rock solid MP and and least decent SP ,will not last too much in the modding scene.. whether is SP or MP. since the competition with games today is far stronger than it was 5 years ago. there are so many great games outthere that supports boths.. out of the box. and gamers demands are greater today. unless IDsoftware improve their support to the MOd community or the mission pack fix and improve the tools for the modding scene.. i really dont see people doing anything in Doom3 a year from here. my only hopes are with QUake4.

Last edited by Nv40; 01-26-05 at 01:55 AM.
Nv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-05, 01:45 AM   #5
superklye

I'm annoyed with how many mods are just new stories in the Doom universe...same weapons (maybe some "new" ones), same monsters (again, maybe some new ones), etc...it's more of an unofficial (and likely boring) campaign instead of something like Red Orchestra or Alien Swarm that is a total conversion.
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote