Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-30-02, 11:32 PM   #13
ToastGodSupreme

Send a message via AIM to ToastGodSupreme

Hrm, with those graphics specs on the GC, you wonder how much effort it would take to port the stuff to PC... god how I'd love some of those games on my PC
ToastGodSupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-02, 01:06 AM   #14
StealthHawk

Quote:
Originally posted by thcdru2k
nintendo sure knows how to make their flagship games. mario/metroid/star fox/zelda. they have that special touch that other game developers just don't have.
you've fallen into the common trap. many of the famous franchises were published by Nintendo, but not created by them. for example, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Donkey Kong Country/64, Star Fox.

even when referencing the GC's flagship games, neither Metroid nor Star Fox were done by Nintendo themselves.

Nintendo gets a lot more credit than it deserves for many of the great games it publishes.
Old 12-01-02, 01:24 AM   #15
thcdru2k

Send a message via ICQ to thcdru2k Send a message via AIM to thcdru2k

true..but even if it was just mario and zelda, those two games have been the best console gaming experience for me. ocarina of time was just amazing in every aspect. the sense of accomplishment to get those 100 spiders and biggoron sword and every single item in the game . and plus an ending that left nothing to be desired. still perhaps best game i've ever played. that and chrono trigger.

11118 3DMarks
thcdru2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-02, 01:49 AM   #16
nin_fragile14
Fat Tuna

I bought a Gamecube yesterday with Metroid Prime. It's a great game; it's really not a first person shooter, but more of a seamless first person adventure. I haven't found a single thing I don't like about it yet.
Old 12-02-02, 02:16 PM   #17
Gargr

Quote:
Originally posted by StealthHawk
you've fallen into the common trap. many of the famous franchises were published by Nintendo, but not created by them. for example, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Donkey Kong Country/64, Star Fox.

even when referencing the GC's flagship games, neither Metroid nor Star Fox were done by Nintendo themselves.

Nintendo gets a lot more credit than it deserves for many of the great games it publishes.
Are you on crack or something?

From the franchises you mentioned only Golden eye and Perfect Dark arnt created by nintendo. And thats why when MS bought Rare these go with them.

Donkey Kong was created in the 80s by Shigeru Myamoto(SP?) i believe.

Metroid, Mario, Star Fox, Zelda, F-Zero... all are created by nintendo.
Nintendo now lets other devs to make some of their games,so they concentrate on creating new stuff. But still alot of ppl from nintendo are involved in the developing and make most of the important decisions.

Last edited by Gargr; 12-02-02 at 02:19 PM.
Gargr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-02, 07:02 PM   #18
exar

Send a message via MSN to exar Send a message via Yahoo to exar

Quote:
Originally posted by nin_fragile14
I bought a Gamecube yesterday with Metroid Prime. It's a great game; it's really not a first person shooter, but more of a seamless first person adventure. I haven't found a single thing I don't like about it yet.
Same here. I bought a GC just because of the fall/spring lineup...Mario, Metroid, and Zelda. So far, it's 2 for 2 on great games. A lot more game companies need to have their designers playing these games to see how to make games fun and unique. Not just another clone of a popular game.
Old 12-02-02, 11:24 PM   #19
StealthHawk

Quote:
Originally posted by Gargr
Are you on crack or something?

From the franchises you mentioned only Golden eye and Perfect Dark arnt created by nintendo. And thats why when MS bought Rare these go with them.
read more carefully.

Quote:
Donkey Kong was created in the 80s by Shigeru Myamoto(SP?) i believe.
Donkey Kong Country/64

Quote:
Metroid, Mario, Star Fox, Zelda, F-Zero... all are created by nintendo.

all bold sentences were from my post that you quoted. i thought i was being sufficiently clear, but i guess not.
Old 12-02-02, 11:28 PM   #20
thcdru2k

Send a message via ICQ to thcdru2k Send a message via AIM to thcdru2k

well lets just say nintento had the original ideas and nes/snes games that allowed those GC games to be what as good as they are.

11118 3DMarks
thcdru2k is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-02, 02:05 AM   #21
Gargr

Quote:
Originally posted by StealthHawk
read more carefully.

Donkey Kong Country/64

all bold sentences were from my post that you quoted. i thought i was being sufficiently clear, but i guess not.
Woah
read my post again!
You said the franchises were not created by nintendo. Guess what? Donkey Kong = the same kong in Donkey Kong Country/64. The games DKC/64 were developed by a Nintendo 1st party. Nintendo owns the rights frr these franchises cos they created them.

The creators of Star Fox, F-Zero, Metroid(Well, hes dead right? s,o its someone else)... are still producers/directors... whatever of these games = nintendo is in controll of the development of these games.

They didnt just publish them as you make it look.

Last edited by Gargr; 12-03-02 at 02:23 AM.
Old 12-03-02, 02:36 AM   #22
Gargr

Default Re: hmm... missing something...

Quote:
Originally posted by ragejg
No pixel/vs shaders?
Dang! Maybe there's other unpublished trick that work around this fact...
its called a TEV

Here is a quote from Beyond3D:

Quote:
The TEV and "pixel shaders" are basically cute acronyms for what used to be called color combiners. The TEV also incorporates the Texture reading part of the pipeline.

A color combiner is in general implemented as a single logic op, in NVidia's case thats public (register combiner docs) and is of the form
A op1 B op2 C op1 D
where op1 is either Dot Product or multiply, op2 is either add or select.
As you can see by repeating this multiple times with some register manipulation between stages you can do most basic math. Pixel shaders just provide a simple consistent interface to this (and other vendors implementations).

The TEV uses a different basic combine operation which is a little more limited. However since the Texture reads can be interleaved with the combiner operations it allows you to do things that would require multipass render on NV2X.

So as an example
on NV2X I have to write

Texture Read
Texture Read

Combiner Op
Combiner Op
Combiner Op
Combiner Op

On Flipper I can write

Texture Read
Combiner Op
Combiner Op
Texture Read
Combiner Op
Combiner Op
Texture Read
Combiner Op
Combiner Op

I guess the easiest explanation is that Flipper has simpler units for combining and reading textures, but allows more complex arrangements of the units.
So if one of the texture reads is dependant on a previous combiner Op and you can't squeeze the ops into the texture addressing instructions the NV2X would require multipass to do the same thing.
http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1603

Last edited by Gargr; 12-03-02 at 02:45 AM.
Old 12-03-02, 03:07 AM   #23
StealthHawk

Quote:
Originally posted by Gargr
Woah
read my post again!
You said the franchises were not created by nintendo. Guess what? Donkey Kong = the same kong in Donkey Kong Country/64. The games DKC/64 were developed by a Nintendo 1st party. Nintendo owns the rights frr these franchises cos they created them.
first of all, i never said that Nintendo didn't make the Donkey Kong franchise. but DK more or less fell off the map in the 80s and was revived by DKC in the 90s, and hence i called it its own franchise. but i specifically called it Country/64; there was no implication given that Nintendo didn't create the DK character.

yes, i think we all know that these characters are owned by Nintendo. but a rose by any other name should smell as sweet...

Quote:
the implication being that these were franchises under direct Nintendo control beforehand. i don't remember if Rare did Star Fox 64, anyway.

Quote:
The creators of Star Fox, F-Zero, Metroid(Well, hes dead right? s,o its someone else)... are still producers/directors... whatever of these games = nintendo is in controll of the development of these games.

They didnt just publish them as you make it look.
is that a fact? how much creative control did Nintendo give to Rare and the company that made Metroid Prime? i'm of the opinion that Nintendo might have been looming loosely over their shoulders, and had to give the final approval, but i don't think they were that directly involved. could be wrong, of course. comments made by Rare employees seem to indicate that i'm right.
Old 12-03-02, 12:19 PM   #24
Gargr

Do you really think nintendo just gave them the games and said "do whatever you wnat, we dont care" or something like that?? N decides who will make the game. N decides how they will make the game......

Quote:
Metroid Prime Progress Report
Nintendo's master designer Shigeru Miyamoto fills in the gaps of the situation below:

"What I can tell you about Metroid Prime is that for Nintendo, the development is working pretty well so that we are overseeing the stage of fine tuning and finishing touches. As a matter of fact, we were about to present Metroid Prime to the Space World 2001 show, but it doesn't yet have good enough sound effects, and also I was not fully satisfied with the control. So I decided in the end, just a few days ago, that we should not bring it to the Space World show.

"Instead, I was thinking about showing video footage of Metroid Prime. Actually, the videotape is in my bag. But the guy sitting next to me here said that if we showed the Metroid video, the whole meeting would be occupied with it [laughs]. So he discouraged me to do so. But we are on the right track and we will be ready to launch it within one year from now. The directors are located in the United States and we, as the game producers, are giving suggestions every week on teleconference and face-to-face every month or two."
http://cube.ign.com/articles/097/097689p1.html

See, they dont just publish their games.

I remember a F-Zero interview with Shigeru's TEAM, but i dont have time to look for it. Just go to ign and read.