Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-07-05, 05:48 PM   #13
Ruined

Default Re: ATTN HL2 retail owners dissatisfied with Source engine bugs (Stutter and/or crash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baracade980
Me too. I have the same "collecters edition" and the only problem I've had is the stuttering (which is a widespread problem). One problem which now after I tweeked my comp a bit, is hardly a good reason for me to turn over my copy.
Well, in my case, this is why I turned over my copy:

A) the stuttering bug is still not fixed here. If this were the only problem I'd keep it.

B) Steam is terrible. I bought a retail game thinking I'd have to activate it once like Windows XP and instead I got a game that needs to be online virtually all the time and has a bad offline mode.

I will definitely rebuy the game once they get the bugs worked out and once they offer a Steam-free copy. Even if they never offer a copy without steam, the steam packages give you much more than what you get with a retail copy, and retail copies right now are currently no better than steam copies as they are essentially converted to steam installs. I already beat the game, so either way I win.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.66GHz CPU | Intel G965WH mobo | 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2-667mhz CAS5 RAM (1066MHz FSB) | BFG GeForce 285 GTX OC 1GB | Dell E228WFP 22" DVI-HDCP LCD Monitor | 1TB Western Digital RE3 SATA2 Main Drive | 500GBx2 Western Digital RE3 SATA2 Scratch Drives in RAID0 | Western Digital RE3 1TB SATA2 Media Drive | External 2TB Western Digital MyBook Backup Drive | Adaptec eSATA 3.0gbps PCI-E interface | Sandisk External 12-in-1 Flash Card Reader | LG GGC-H20L HD DVD/BD reader, DVD writer | LG GGW-H20L HD DVD/BD reader, DVD/BD writer | Microsoft E4000 Ergonomic Keyboard | Logitech Trackman Wheel | Antec P182 ATX Case | Thermaltake ToughPower XT 850w modular PSU | KRK RP-8 Rokit Studio Monitors | Windows Vista Ultimate x64
Ruined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-05, 01:07 AM   #14
john19055

Default Re: ATTN HL2 retail owners dissatisfied with Source engine bugs (Stutter and/or crashing)

I had some studding around the end of the game,but I still love this game Bugs and all.So I think I keep my Collector's Edition even though I paid to much for it.
Intel i7-3820+Corsair H-100+Gigabyte X79-UD5+16gigs G.Skill PC1600DDR3+2-ASUS DirectCU II GTX-670 in SLI+Crucial 256g-SSD+1-3Gig Seagate+2- Samsung 1-TB+3-WesternDigtial 640g+LG-12x Blu-Ray Burner+850watt XFX+Antec-P280 case+50" Plasma PM6700+Logitech Mouse+Keyboard+Pioneer VSX-1020+Polk Audio Speakers
john19055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-05, 06:05 PM   #15
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Default Re: ATTN HL2 retail owners dissatisfied with Source engine bugs (Stutter and/or crashing)

I have the CE and have never had a problem with it over 3 driver revisions... its a shame those who have a problem are unable to enjoy their gaming experience...
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-05, 04:32 AM   #16
john19055

I enjoy the game very much even If I do have some studdering close to the end,I have played it so far four times from start to ending.
Intel i7-3820+Corsair H-100+Gigabyte X79-UD5+16gigs G.Skill PC1600DDR3+2-ASUS DirectCU II GTX-670 in SLI+Crucial 256g-SSD+1-3Gig Seagate+2- Samsung 1-TB+3-WesternDigtial 640g+LG-12x Blu-Ray Burner+850watt XFX+Antec-P280 case+50" Plasma PM6700+Logitech Mouse+Keyboard+Pioneer VSX-1020+Polk Audio Speakers
john19055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-05, 08:06 AM   #17
noko
noko

No stuttering except when manually saving but I am not at the end yet (( One of these days I will get back into the game, just lost interest in the mean time.
noko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-05, 08:40 AM   #18
Riptide

I haven't played HL2 in a while now. But I get stuttering and popping/crackling in CS:S all the time now. When it first came out it almost never happened except on one map - aztec. The game now does it in just about every map and it's usually in certain spots. Even dust does it now. It's really rather annoying as hell frankly.
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-05, 10:06 PM   #19
Drumphil

Runs fine for me, but I seem to be lucky when it comes to stuff working on my computer.
Old 02-18-05, 12:10 PM   #20
holmes

Default Re: ATTN HL2 retail owners dissatisfied with Source engine bugs (Stutter and/or crash

For all those interested, you can also get a refund if you bought HL2 through Steam. I did so after reading this thread on the steam forums HERE . Since HL2 ran like complete crap (stuttering) among some of the other issues with the game I have, I found it in my best interest to return the game. I called Valve at this number (425-889-9642) and chose option 7 leaving a message with my name, number, and last four digits of my CC. The next day I get the call (today). The lady I talked to was very nice about it and said that the charges will be reversed in 3-5 days. I'm happy...

The Rig
ASRock 970 Extreme3 AM3+
AMD Athlon II x2 260
DDR3-1600 (2x2GB) Kingston HyperX
Western Digital caviar 1TB
ECS GeForce GT 220 1GB
Cooler Master Storm Scout ATX case
Corsair 750W PSU
holmes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-05, 01:45 PM   #21
Ruined

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes
For all those interested, you can also get a refund if you bought HL2 through Steam. I did so after reading this thread on the steam forums HERE . Since HL2 ran like complete crap (stuttering) among some of the other issues with the game I have, I found it in my best interest to return the game. I called Valve at this number (425-889-9642) and chose option 7 leaving a message with my name, number, and last four digits of my CC. The next day I get the call (today). The lady I talked to was very nice about it and said that the charges will be reversed in 3-5 days. I'm happy...
cool

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.66GHz CPU | Intel G965WH mobo | 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2-667mhz CAS5 RAM (1066MHz FSB) | BFG GeForce 285 GTX OC 1GB | Dell E228WFP 22" DVI-HDCP LCD Monitor | 1TB Western Digital RE3 SATA2 Main Drive | 500GBx2 Western Digital RE3 SATA2 Scratch Drives in RAID0 | Western Digital RE3 1TB SATA2 Media Drive | External 2TB Western Digital MyBook Backup Drive | Adaptec eSATA 3.0gbps PCI-E interface | Sandisk External 12-in-1 Flash Card Reader | LG GGC-H20L HD DVD/BD reader, DVD writer | LG GGW-H20L HD DVD/BD reader, DVD/BD writer | Microsoft E4000 Ergonomic Keyboard | Logitech Trackman Wheel | Antec P182 ATX Case | Thermaltake ToughPower XT 850w modular PSU | KRK RP-8 Rokit Studio Monitors | Windows Vista Ultimate x64
Ruined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-05, 06:06 PM   #22
OWA

I stopped playing it as a game at the hovercraft level but I decided against trying to return it. I like using it as a benchmark and as a tech demo (nice graphics).
OWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-05, 10:44 AM   #23
Marcos
think of me not at all

Send a message via AIM to Marcos

id send it back but i already let a whole bunch of people borrow it, even people i dont know. **** steam. I almost threw up the last time I played hl2 also.

<-- worst. smiley. ever.
Marcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-05, 09:04 PM   #24
Baracade980

Talking Re: ATTN HL2 retail owners dissatisfied with Source engine bugs (Stutter and/or crash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined
Well, in my case, this is why I turned over my copy:

A) the stuttering bug is still not fixed here. If this were the only problem I'd keep it.

B) Steam is terrible. I bought a retail game thinking I'd have to activate it once like Windows XP and instead I got a game that needs to be online virtually all the time and has a bad offline mode.

I will definitely rebuy the game once they get the bugs worked out and once they offer a Steam-free copy. Even if they never offer a copy without steam, the steam packages give you much more than what you get with a retail copy, and retail copies right now are currently no better than steam copies as they are essentially converted to steam installs. I already beat the game, so either way I win.
Oh man I agree STEAM is terrible man. When I first installed it, it'd work about a week or two then quit. Then, I'd have to reinstall it, and the same thing would happen. And I would perfer a Steam free copy all the way, but until then what cha gonna do, you know what I mean? I beat the game too... I still think it was incredible even with all the crap I had to go through.

Maybe I like retail better just because you can go in, hold the thing in your hands, and just pay cash and get outta there. Oh well, guess I'm old school like that .
Baracade980 is offline   Reply With Quote