Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-28-05, 11:47 AM   #1
zachncst

Default Grub Bootloader Help

Hey guys,

I'm new to Linux (just installed Fedora on compy yesterday) and I absolutely love the flexibility of the OS. I have one problem though (not very big but I don't want to mess with things unless I know what I'm doing), I need to load Win XP as the default with the Grub Bootloader. Does anyone know what line needs to be edited? I'll post a copy of the conf file when I get on the system at home but if anyone can answer me before then, praise to you!

-Zach
zachncst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-05, 06:29 PM   #2
whig
550Ti

Default Re: Grub Bootloader Help

The "Default x" line is the one. Replace x with 0 for the first choice listed to be default, x = 1 for the 2nd and so on. You can reorder boot partitions in grub.conf and adjust the Default as much as you like. For you I would make a copy of grub.conf with cp just to be safe.
whig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-05, 01:47 PM   #3
zachncst

Default Re: Grub Bootloader Help

Thanks for the reply, that fixed it. I understood what the line meant but I didn't know the syntax or the numbering system of the Default command. I really didn't feel like having to use rescue and edit the file their if I messed up. So, once again, many thanks for the speedy reply.

-Zach
zachncst is offline   Reply With Quote