Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-20-05, 03:09 PM   #61
Vagrant Zero
I'm a Back Door Man

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant Zero
Default Re: DEvmaster.net article Hl2 vs D3 engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIWTHI
I've never seen demons, a space station, or a monorail on Mars, what's your point? Source comes with those shaders and if desired that great water can be used in the engine.
The UAC built/warped all those on Mars. They didn't think to put in water [probabley has to do with that lack of atmosphere thing]. Take your crap up with the UAC. The reason you haven't seen any water in D3 is because the only released D3 engine game is D3 and it sets on Mars which has no water and apple pie can cure cancer.

Seriously, what the hell is your point? Are you trying to go somewhere with this "water" thing other than annoying?

Quote:
I was simply asking if anyone had a screenshot of great water, because I've never seen great water rendered in the Doom 3 Engine
Hey buddy, I'll drop you an email when I'm born tomorrow. You damned well know there has been no water in D3 [unless you've been in a cave and haven't played D3 in which case you really shouldn't be commenting on the engine in the first palce], you're just trying to take potshots at the engine much like the rest of your ilk. You're not the first, you unfortunetly won't be the last.

Quote:
About the fire, I never said Source had better fire or anything to that point. I was simply asking about the water since that's one thing that Half-Life 2 is praised for.
Of course you wouldn't mention the fire, it's something the D3 engine is clearly superior in [along with Heat Haze]. That's why I mentioned it, to shut all the "water-mongerers" up. You get one, we get one.

As you can clearly tell I'm pretty sick of all the Source fanboys screaming bloody murder about the damned water. Ya it's nice, but I'd rather take some decent lighting and shadows over it anyday. HL2's shadows were ass and took me out of the game a few times.
Vagrant Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-05, 03:28 PM   #62
jolle

pretty much every engine out there that can use shaders can do great water..
And how good it looks is all about how much resources you spend on that shader, not the engine per se..
And like Vagrant said (in his somewhat annoyed state), the reason D3 didnt have any water wasnt cause the engine couldnt "pull it off", but there simple werent any pools of water in the game, which isnt all that farfetched as it IS, as mentioned, played on a base on mars, and a bit in hell (a place notirously low on water)
Old 02-20-05, 06:18 PM   #63
HIWTHI

Vagrant Zero, maybe you need to learn how to read or looking at your post maybe you should start at breathing. I never said show me water in Doom 3. I've played the game and know there isn't any in there. See there is this thing called mods, and they can use the engine to render other stuff that wasn't in the game. I'll put it in simple words this time: has anyone seen any good water effects created with the Doom 3 Engine. I asked, because I wanted to see it and wanted to know if a mod team had gone to the length of creating it. Instead of discussing other stuff why don't you just answer my question or don't reply at all? Youíve clearly shown your objective, and donít just start an argument when I ask a simple question.

Shaders are part of the engine, and even though teams can create them, the Source Engine already includes them. Source does guarantee great water, because the shaders come with it. Doom 3 uses BSP just as Source does along with portal based visibility. Until a mod team, or a developer creates a map that is bigger than FarCry it's hard to believe the statement that the Doom 3 engine can create levels that rival the Crytek Engine.
HIWTHI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-05, 09:40 PM   #64
Vagrant Zero
I'm a Back Door Man

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIWTHI
I'll put it in simple words this time: has anyone seen any good water effects created with the Doom 3 Engine. I asked, because I wanted to see it and wanted to know if a mod team had gone to the length of creating it.
Brilliant! So you'd want to compare non-professional work and view it as exemplemary of the engine's potential [not knocking the mod teams but I doubt ANY of them are going to push the engine to it's limits]? I'm curious as to how your brain processes functions like breathing and posting at the same time without crapping out. Hell, I bet you'll BSOD at least twice trying to get through this post. Regardless you're the one that responded to the "no water on mars" post so clearly you were originaly talking about D3 the game at first. Look at me mom, I can bold my bull****.

Besides it's an utterly stupid ass point to be making, Quake3 engine games can put out some nice water effects [ala CoD]. It stands to reason that Q3s bigger brother can do more of the same and then some. As mentioned previously by other posters [though you chose to ignore it since it doesn't mesh with your viewpoint] water effects are shader-based.

Quote:
Vagrant Zero, maybe you need to learn how to read or looking at your post maybe you should start at breathing.
Wait now, you want me to go learn to breath before I post? Holy crap I'm so .

Last edited by Vagrant Zero; 02-20-05 at 09:50 PM.
Vagrant Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-05, 10:52 PM   #65
HIWTHI

I guess I will have to point out the obvious for you. See my breathing comment was making fun of your outrageous fanboy rant. I was talking about water and then you go: oh, but the Doom 3 Engine can do fire, see fire, fire good. It's funny how you got all worked up over my simple question. I wasn't trying to say Source can achieve better water effects (although it can without creating extra shaders), but was simply asking if someone had cool water to show me, because I'd never seen any water rendered with the Doom 3 Engine. You misinterpreted it, because you assumed I was some crazy fanboy and then got all worked up. Hopefully you understand my question by now, and can go take some Prozac to level yourself.

About your shaders comment and me not reading others' post, did you even read my last one or the ones before? Here's the last one twice, because they always say third times the charm.

Quote:
Shaders are part of the engine, and even though teams can create them, the Source Engine already includes them. Source does guarantee great water, because the shaders come with it.

Repeated:
Shaders are part of the engine, and even though teams can create them, the Source Engine already includes them. Source does guarantee great water, because the shaders come with it.
Old 02-21-05, 02:43 AM   #66
Nv40
Agent-Fx

Doom3 engine "water" is limited to what QUake3 game did. sadly..
COD pixel shaders where added by COD developers .. not by idsoftware. in other in an upgraded quake3 engine. honestly they IDS were very lame.. not allowing more freedom or control to the MOd community... somehow i think that this is no the fault of all of their team ,but only of the people with more power there .

nice looking water effects were requested years ago by Doom3 fans in quakecom.. for the mod community .but they ignored it ..perhaps maybe because .. the is no water in mars ..after all..

realistic Physics , multiplayer , big outdoors , water effects , highly interactive enviroments ,Advanced AI.. , offline BOts.. coperative gameplay ,vehicles.. you name it..and many more things were requested.. but all they wanted was "clasic style doom game" with legacy gameplay ..to keep it as simple as possible ,in a single player "inmersive" game. if there is any thing requested by the community that finally did it in the game at some ethereal degree.. was thanks to few members there with a greater vision of gamepley and persuasive abilities. Doom3 could be easily game of the year at every PCMagazine or internet place ratings without question ..in gameplay ,graphics and everything else .if they never underestimated and listened a little more to the request of the community. there are probably more people playing Quake1 today online than with id software latest game.

http://archive.gamespy.com/stats/

Last edited by Nv40; 02-21-05 at 03:24 AM.
Nv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-05, 06:47 AM   #67
ragejg
nV News Alumni

Send a message via AIM to ragejg

Those are one-day figures, right?

2010-2011 Reviews: GTX 570 | GTX 580 | GTS 450 | GTX 460 | GTX 465
Pre-2010 Reviews: 6600 GT | XMS 4400 DDR | SilenX Cooler | 6800 | 5900 XT | Personal Cinema | 5900 NU

Phenom II x6 1090t @ 4.0 ghz | Asus M498TD-EVO Am3 SLI nForce 980a | 2x EVGA GTX 560 SLI | 2x4gb DDR3-1333 | Antec EarthWatts EA650 PSU | 60gb Mushkin Calisto Enhanced Sandforce SSD | 2x WD2500KS RAID 0 | Sunbeam Tuniq 3 case | 24" Asus 19x10 LED LCD | 26" Panasonic 720p TV | Sidewinder X5 mouse | Logitech MX5500 & Revolution mouse | Altec Lansing 5.1 THX-Certified audio | Win 7 Ultimate | desk | couch

ragejg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-05, 07:17 AM   #68
Marcos
think of me not at all

Send a message via AIM to Marcos

omg there was water in Red Faction wtf?!?!?!11

put that in your pipe and smoke it

<-- worst. smiley. ever.
Marcos is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-05, 08:02 AM   #69
Intel17
Is not an Intel fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nv40
Doom3 engine "water" is limited to what QUake3 game did. sadly..
COD pixel shaders where added by COD developers .. not by idsoftware. in other in an upgraded quake3 engine. honestly they IDS were very lame.. not allowing more freedom or control to the MOd community... somehow i think that this is no the fault of all of their team ,but only of the people with more power there .

nice looking water effects were requested years ago by Doom3 fans in quakecom.. for the mod community .but they ignored it ..perhaps maybe because .. the is no water in mars ..after all..

realistic Physics , multiplayer , big outdoors , water effects , highly interactive enviroments ,Advanced AI.. , offline BOts.. coperative gameplay ,vehicles.. you name it..and many more things were requested.. but all they wanted was "clasic style doom game" with legacy gameplay ..to keep it as simple as possible ,in a single player "inmersive" game. if there is any thing requested by the community that finally did it in the game at some ethereal degree.. was thanks to few members there with a greater vision of gamepley and persuasive abilities. Doom3 could be easily game of the year at every PCMagazine or internet place ratings without question ..in gameplay ,graphics and everything else .if they never underestimated and listened a little more to the request of the community. there are probably more people playing Quake1 today online than with id software latest game.

http://archive.gamespy.com/stats/
Oh really?

http://doom3.filefront.com/potd/26682

Sure looks like Quake 3 water to me!

Nv40, why do you keep putting down Doom 3's Engine?

Also, there's another shot of even better water, but the link is down because it's for a defunct mod. But basically, they wrote a displacement shader, mixed it with the per-pixel environment mapping shader, and then used the heat-haze for refraction.

You can write any shader you want for Doom 3, in either asm or CG.
Intel17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-05, 08:54 AM   #70
dante_uk
Geforce FX5900

As said since doom3 support .cg files anything is possible.

More water in D3 here:
http://www.doom3world.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=8964
-- "I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone. My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone" Bjarne Stronstrup (originator of C++ programming language)

Gigabyte S478 Intel 845E / P4 2.2Ghz / 1GB DDR / GF FX 5900 128MB (400/850) / SB Live! Player 5.1 / XP Pro sp1 (DirectX9.0c) / Suse 8.2
dante_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-05, 12:17 PM   #71
Nv40
Agent-Fx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intel17
Oh really?

http://doom3.filefront.com/potd/26682

Sure looks like Quake 3 water to me!

Nv40, why do you keep putting down Doom 3's Engine?

Also, there's another shot of even better water, but the link is down because it's for a defunct mod. But basically, they wrote a displacement shader, mixed it with the per-pixel environment mapping shader, and then used the heat-haze for refraction.

You can write any shader you want for Doom 3, in either asm or CG.

im not putting down Doom3 engine.. just saying the facts. Already saw your screenshot .. that is far from "Water" for today standars in my book. lets not talk about next generation games. you could do that in quake3 too if you are good with programming. heck in quake3 someone got rain and fountain water effects.

Quote:
You can write any shader you want for Doom 3, in either asm or CG
of course.. you can....you can do that with any other game outhere that can be modded. thats not a feature ,but a lame excuse to make people finish an unfinished game/engine that could be much better if they listened a little more the community. heck...you can write your own game/engine , or even an entire new operating system better than windowsXp ,or anything you wish ..if you are a programmer with good skills ,the sky is the limit.

but for the majority of the gamers.. in the MOD community ,people that are limited to the tools developers give to them.. and that doesnt have half a million dollars to license a game engine ..or doesnt know a jack of programming , for those people the sky is not the limit.. but what the developers do in their games.

once QUake4/or other games using the same tech. is released people will ignore completely Doom3/engine and will move all their Doom3 stuff there.. simply because any other developers that license that engine will fill the big holes left by idsoftware in their engine.

Last edited by Nv40; 02-21-05 at 12:58 PM.
Nv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-05, 12:44 PM   #72
HIWTHI

Thanks for answering my question. Nice to see that mod teams are trying to take the Doom 3 Engine past a space station on Mars. The first water link looks pretty much like Quake 3 water, because it appears to look just like a single filter. The second one is better with the reflections, but appears more like ice or glass than fluid water. The water isn't close to commercial games, but they are not from commercial developers either. Let me know if that other link ever resurfaces, because I know it's possible to make great water, I just would like to see it.

Last edited by HIWTHI; 02-21-05 at 01:01 PM.