Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 7, 8, And 9 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Closed Thread

Old 02-07-05, 04:03 AM   #37
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger
Default Re: New nVidia tool: Replacement profile editor, SLI enabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlowStick
Oh I am definatly intrested in this software, however I just woke up

I really do hate useing the Awful awful NV control panel to try to add new games that are not already on the list, sometimes it just blatently dose not add the games for some odd reason.

Thanks for the great tool!
If you find the NV panel wont add games, its coz they are already there but hidden in the nvapps.xml file in system32 folder.

What you need to do is copy some settings from a profile you know works into the hidden games section in nvapps.xml save and exit.
Now the "hidden" profile is visable with the rest.

Its intersting to have a look at the games hidden away in there, Battlefield 2 even makes a showing.
Old 02-07-05, 04:14 AM   #38
Grestorn
nHancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger
If you find the NV panel wont add games, its coz they are already there but hidden in the nvapps.xml file in system32 folder.

What you need to do is copy some settings from a profile you know works into the hidden games section in nvapps.xml save and exit.
Now the "hidden" profile is visable with the rest.

Its intersting to have a look at the games hidden away in there, Battlefield 2 even makes a showing.
I never understood why nVidia "hides" some of the profiles. BTW, there is no "hidden section" in nvapps.xml.

But why hassel with the control panel's wierd functionality, if there's a much better alternative?!
Old 02-07-05, 04:19 AM   #39
ChrisRay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grestorn
The installer is made by MS not me .

Don't install "things that deal with the .net framework" but just the framework itself. Check out this link.

Have you tried any other .net Application?

I could also give you the application files directly, maybe it's just the installer that's misdetecting the framework on your system.

I had the same problem. I wanted to include your application in my SLI analysis found here. If I could get it working I'd update the thread. To include the other option. I dont like .net at all >< Btw your link just leads directly to the Nvidia forums..

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=45422
|CPU: Intel I7 Lynnfield @ 3.0 Ghz|Mobo:Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer |Memory:8 Gigs DDR3 1333|Video:Geforce GTX 295 Quad SLI|Monitor:Samsung Syncmaster 1680x1080 3D Vision\/Olevia 27 Inch Widescreen HDTV 1920x1080

|CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.5 Ghz|Mobo:Asus M3n HT Deluxe Nforce 780A|Memory: 4 gigs DDR2 800| Video: Geforce GTX 280x2 SLI

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

NVIDIA User Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members
Old 02-07-05, 05:00 AM   #40
Grestorn
nHancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRay
I had the same problem. I wanted to include your application in my SLI analysis found here. If I could get it working I'd update the thread. To include the other option. I dont like .net at all >< Btw your link just leads directly to the Nvidia forums..

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=45422
Sorry for the faulty link. The correct one is http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...7-034D1E7CF3A3

I've made some tests myself with the framework installation. The application *and* the installer specifically asks for version 1.1 of the .net framework. (Released on 3/30/04). If you only installed version 2.0 beta or version 1.0 it won't work. The good news is that you can install all versions of .net simultanously.

MS made it work like this on purpose. The disadvantage is, that you have to have multiple versions of the framework on your machine, taking space. The advantage is, that it avoids version conflicts - the framework you tested your app with will never change.

About the issue with .net: The reason why nHancer is written using C# / .net is that I wanted to get familiar with this plattform (I'm an experienced C++ and Java programmer).

But honestly, I don't see any issue with .net. It's just a bunch of DLLs and controls, nothing that would hamper your system's performance or cause any kind of suspicion or additional security risk (actually, .net is just as relevant for security issues as Java, if you have web applets using .net, and there's a bug in the framework, it might cause a security risk. But that's really a non-issue with tools you install directly on your system, as they can do anything they want anyway.). The one and only disadvantage is, that it takes space on your hd (around 100 MB).
Old 02-07-05, 05:06 AM   #41
ChrisRay

Quote:
Sorry for the faulty link. The correct one is http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...7-034D1E7CF3A3

I've made some tests myself with the framework installation. The application *and* the installer specifically asks for version 1.1 of the .net framework. (Released on 3/30/04). If you only installed version 2.0 beta or version 1.0 it won't work. The good news is that you can install all versions of .net simultanously.

MS made it work like this on purpose. The disadvantage is, that you have to have multiple versions of the framework on your machine, taking space. The advantage is, that it avoids version conflicts - the framework you tested your app with will never change.

About the issue with .net: The reason why nHancer is written using C# / .net is that I wanted to get familiar with this plattform (I'm an experienced C++ and Java programmer).

But honestly, I don't see any issue with .net. It's just a bunch of DLLs and controls, nothing that would hamper your system's performance or cause any kind of suspicion or additional security risk (actually, .net is just as relevant for security issues as Java, if you have web applets using .net, and there's a bug in the framework, it might cause a security risk. But that's really a non-issue with tools you install directly on your system, as they can do anything they want anyway.). The one and only disadvantage is, that it takes space on your hd (around 100 MB).
Alright, I am installing 1.1 .net framework. The original one I installed was the 2.0 and I jsut assumed it was backwork compatible. After I toy with your utility. I'll add it and directions on how to use it in my SLI analysis thread. ((In my Sig)). Is there a specific way you'd like me to link the distribution of your software?
|CPU: Intel I7 Lynnfield @ 3.0 Ghz|Mobo:Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer |Memory:8 Gigs DDR3 1333|Video:Geforce GTX 295 Quad SLI|Monitor:Samsung Syncmaster 1680x1080 3D Vision\/Olevia 27 Inch Widescreen HDTV 1920x1080

|CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.5 Ghz|Mobo:Asus M3n HT Deluxe Nforce 780A|Memory: 4 gigs DDR2 800| Video: Geforce GTX 280x2 SLI

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

NVIDIA User Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members
Old 02-07-05, 05:11 AM   #42
ChrisRay

P.S. I dont suppose there is any chance you could add a power user function that allows us to manipulate certain "non" specific optimisations? Like the ones that dont have specific SLI optimisations I mean. Doom 3 for instance is just set to AFR, Not like 3dmark05?

P.S. Actually what I mean is. And I know this may sound lame. Is there anyway to include a option that pops open NvApps.xml? To a text editor? Thats the one thing I think is missing in this program. Otherwise I like it so far. Despite the HD requirements of .net anyway.

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

Old 02-07-05, 05:27 AM   #43
Grestorn
nHancer

Quote:
P.S. I dont suppose there is any chance you could add a power user function that allows us to manipulate certain "non" specific optimisations? Like the ones that dont have specific SLI optimisations I mean. Doom 3 for instance is just set to AFR, Not like 3dmark05?

P.S. Actually what I mean is. And I know this may sound lame. Is there anyway to include a option that pops open NvApps.xml? To a text editor? Thats the one thing I think is missing in this program. Otherwise I like it so far. Despite the HD requirements of .net anyway.
Well... I'm not exactly sure what you're asking for here. Certainly I could offer an option to edit nvapps.xml, but I'd rather include everything you need, so you don't have to do that.

Could you explain exactly what you'd like to do with Doom 3 that's not already possible with nHancer?

I appreciate that you'd like to link the tool, I'd actually prefer if you use my initial link to my own web hoster.
Old 02-07-05, 05:30 AM   #44
ChrisRay

Quote:
Well... I'm not exactly sure what you're asking here for. Certainly I could offer an option to edit nvapps.xml, but I'd rather include everything you need, so you don't have to do that.

Could you explain exactly what you'd like to do with Doom 3 that's not already possible with nHancer?

I appreciate that you'd like to link the tool, I'd actually prefer if you use my initial link to my own web hoster.

Well. I havent toyed around with it enough to know if I am just not using it right yet. But umm could you check your PMs. I'm having problems.

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

Old 02-07-05, 05:33 AM   #45
Grestorn
nHancer

Quote:
Well. I havent toyed around with it enough to know if I am just not using it right yet. But umm could you check your PMs. I'm having problems.
Already answered.

For all the others:

There's a bug if you close nHancer while it's minimized (e.g. if you logoff while it's minimized). It will save its window's position even though there's no window. If you later start it again, you'll only get an icon in the taskbar and there is no way to get it back up normally.

In this case, you can right click on the icon in the toolbar and select "maximize". At least you can use it like that until I fixed the bug, which will be in about 6 hours (I'm at work right now).

Sorry for the troubles...
Old 02-07-05, 05:35 AM   #46
ChrisRay

Quote:
Already answered.

For all the others:

There's a bug if you close nHancer while it's minimized (e.g. if you logoff while it's minimized). It will save its window's position even though there's no window. If you later start it again, you'll only get an icon in the taskbar and there is no way to get it back up normally.

In this case, you can right click on the icon in the toolbar and select "maximize". At least you can use it like that until I fixed the bug, which will be in about 6 hours (I'm at work right now).

Sorry for the troubles...

Hey dont be sorry! Its an excellent application. Alright anyway. Onto my question. It would seem profiles that are already existing in the driver dont allow for modification. I can understand your desire to prevent people from modifying the compatibility bits (IE specific optimisations for some games) But I cant modify them and sometimes I'd like too.

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

Old 02-07-05, 05:45 AM   #47
Grestorn
nHancer

Quote:
Hey dont be sorry! Its an excellent application. Alright anyway. Onto my question. It would seem profiles that are already existing in the driver dont allow for modification. I can understand your desire to prevent people from modifying the compatibility bits (IE specific optimisations for some games) But I cant modify them and sometimes I'd like too.
Ah, now I get you. You're talking about the "locked" options

Yes, I can understand that. Right now, you can just remove the "predefined" tag in the nvapps.xml file, then nHancer will allow you to edit that option.

But I'll put your request on my list. There will be an "advanced" mode in one of the next releases, which will allow to change even "predefined" settings.
Old 02-07-05, 05:46 AM   #48
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Good to know about that bug. I'll make sure and download the updated version when I get home from work (in about 9 hours).
Closed Thread