Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-07-05, 08:45 AM   #1
PaiN
Don't make me MAD!

Default gaming fees...?

The subject came up on another forum I'm in......
I was shocked at the level of disdain and borderline hostility by some people toward games(and thier owners) that charge a fee too play. Seems too me that these people think that somehow if they buy software for $30-$50, they are entitled to a lifetime of free play at the game makers expense. imo....this makes no sense what-so-ever, I don't(and can't) expect the game maker to buy, maintain and update servers while developing futher game content for free....I also think $10-$15\mo in very reasonable, far from the "gouge" someone called it. As long as I'm getting my money's worth, with a stable, fast connection and on-going, fun game play....I'm happy to pay.

What's your opinion?

*edit* in case its not clear...I'm talking about fees for MMOLGs
Core i5 2500K @ 4.2ghz | EVGA Superclock M020 | Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 | 8gb G.Skill Ripjaws X PC1600 | EVGA GTX570 760/1950 | SB X-Fi Xtremegamer | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610w PSU | (2) WD Black 640gb in RAID"0" | MSI SATA DVD-RW | Saitek Eclipse kb | Logi G5v2 mouse / Steelseries QcK | Antec P182 "Gunmetal" | Logitech 5300a THX 5.1 speakers | ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD
-Windows7 64bit
PaiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-05, 09:10 AM   #2
|MaguS|

Default Re: gaming fees...?

I fully agree with P2P. Without the constant fee's they would not create a large income to substain the games evolution. If the game was without a fee it would basically end up like D2 with no additions and no patching (patches for D2 did release over a long period of times with still many issues unanswered). Also MMORPG's are cosntantly monitored, They ahve ingame customer service and out of the game customer servicers from phone, forum and email support.

The fee's of a MMORPG are basically in place to keep the game alive and active, without it will become nothing or go nowhere.

Expansion packs don't pay for support like many people believe, they pay for more expansion packs...
Old 02-07-05, 09:20 AM   #3
Tr1cK
not coming back

I agree. If you like the game enough, you will definetly pay for it. Nobody is forced to play a game.
Tr1cK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-05, 09:22 AM   #4
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Here's some very simple math. Let's assume a game like EQ costs $100 million to develop including programming, marketing, server costs, etc. That's an astronomically high figure considering HL2 reportedly is the most costly game ever developed and IIRC that was around $35 million from start to finish.

Let's say 1 million people buy the game in the first month it's out (statistics show that the vast majority of a game's sales take place in the first 3 weeks). At $50 a shot, and for the sake of arguement let's say half of that ends up in Sony's pocket. That's $25 million in just software sales. Put up $15 a month to play, that's $15 million a month in subscriber fees. You've just broken even after just 6 months (assuming the first month of play was free for the 1 million owners). In another 6 months you've made an additional $90 million in subscriber fees, which is just about what it cost you to develop the original game in the first place.

Again, this is an overly simplistic model, but I think that can help explain why some people aren't too keen on the idea of shelling out $15/month to play a game. I really doubt that people would have many objections to paying were the fees either lower or were they not increased, especially since so many freaking people are playing the game.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-05, 10:02 AM   #5
Zelda_fan

I've just started playing World of Warcraft and I love it. Yeah, you have to pay about $13 a month but it is really worth it becasue the game dosen't end after 20 hours. I think I beat HL2 in about 30 hours. After I beat it, I haven't touched it again. That's $55 for 30 hours. With World of Warcraft I paid $55 + $40 for a 3 month subscription (+ 1 free month). That's $95, and I've looked at my /played and it is around 160 hours. I've only played it for a month. Already, it's a better value than HL2, and I haven't even used my 1/3 of my subscription. If you look at the hours of gameplay per dollar, World of Warcraft is SOOO much of a better value.
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-05, 10:05 AM   #6
|MaguS|

Considering that not even 1 Million sold never happens in a MMORPG, I highly dout that. Plus they are a business, NO Business is out to break even. They WANT to make a profit, WTF is the point if you don't? Do you know the amount Developers pay for Network and Maintanence fee's? Alot more then a million, they need to have someone up 24/7 to watch the servers and do maintenance plus they need to have the actuall network lines running all the time... They are probably running OC12 or OC48 lines to substaine the massive amounts of bandwidth.

Heres some shots of the servers for EQOA and FFXI (For the Playstation 2) imagine what the more successful PC versions require...

Im honestly sick of people complaining that prices are too high, Development costs are up (New Technology requires more RD and More Employess often), If they don't have high prices then they break even and DONT MAKE A PROFIT.Thanks to MMORPG.com
Old 02-07-05, 10:45 AM   #7
Rakeesh

Ok, heres what I don't like about MMORPGs.

First of all they require a constant commitment in order to be interesting. If you stop playing the game for a while because you got bored of it then you can lose track of where you were in the storyline, fall behind your peers in terms of leveling up, etc. You also end up wasting money on a game you aren't playing due to the monthly fees. If you quit paying the monthly fees for a time, then your character gets deleted entirely and you have to start all over.

Also, I don't know about the rest of you, but constantly leveling up and searching for those ever illusive items over and over and over again gets quite boring and ends up becoming a chore. There are better ways of spending time on chores, such as getting a job where you are actually paid money rather than paying somebody else money. Then theres also trying to keep up with those people who don't even have a job and after two weeks of playing bring themselves to "god" status, and brush their little ego all over you with l33tspeak names and other bullcrap.

Me, I would rather just play a game where you can get home from work/school/etc and just start playing a game. No need to worry about if your account is active what item you need to find next, what gay little quest is next, etc. You just sit down and play, thats it. I myself have been playing NS for years, ever since its initial release in fact, and it hasn't cost me a dime. Value wise, no MMORPG could ever touch that.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-05, 10:45 AM   #8
vampireuk
**** Holster

Send a message via AIM to vampireuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonk
I've just started playing World of Warcraft and I love it. Yeah, you have to pay about $13 a month but it is really worth it becasue the game dosen't end after 20 hours. I think I beat HL2 in about 30 hours. After I beat it, I haven't touched it again. That's $55 for 30 hours. With World of Warcraft I paid $55 + $40 for a 3 month subscription (+ 1 free month). That's $95, and I've looked at my /played and it is around 160 hours. I've only played it for a month. Already, it's a better value than HL2, and I haven't even used my 1/3 of my subscription. If you look at the hours of gameplay per dollar, World of Warcraft is SOOO much of a better value.
QFT.

On Friday the European release of WOW happens and I will be playing that game non stop, after playing the final beta I can definately say it is well worth the monthly fee.

Edit: Alpha WOW is very different from most other games you will have played, I have never once found this game to be a chore to play.

Old 02-07-05, 10:53 AM   #9
Rakeesh

What is qft?

EDIT: Woa, 160 hours in a month? Damn, thats like 5 hours a day. Where do you get the time for that?

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-05, 11:04 AM   #10
stncttr908

Send a message via AIM to stncttr908

QFT = quoted for truth or quite f'ing true

I don't know, I don't have the time to ever make a MMORPG subscription worthwhile. Even if I did have the time, I'd probably lack the attention span or dedication.
PC - | Core i7-2600K @ stock | Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3 | 4GB Patriot Sector 5 DDR3 | Galaxy GTX 460 1GB @ stock | Corsair Force 120GB SSD | Seagate 1TB 7200RPM | 320GB Seagate 7200.10 | 2x Seagate 500GB USB 2.0 | Lite-On 20x SATA DVD+RW | Silverstone TJ-09 | Corsair 620W PSU | Logitech Z-5500s | Sennheiser HD-570 headphones | Samsung 2494LW |

Laptop - | Dell Inspiron 1420 | C2D T7300 (2.0GHz, 4MB cache) | 2GB DDR2-667 | 160GB 7200RPM HDD | DVD +/- RW | 14.1" WXGA+ (1440x900) | Broadcom 802.11g | NVIDIA 8400M GS 128MB |
stncttr908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-05, 11:35 AM   #11
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf_HK
What is qft?

EDIT: Woa, 160 hours in a month? Damn, thats like 5 hours a day. Where do you get the time for that?
5 Hours a day is even easy for me if I wanted to play that much, and I have a Full time job and go to school Full/partime.

No MMORPG deletes characters right away (if at all) anymore, EQ did it during its first year but soon stopped. I remember my friend quit for half a year and returned to be greeted by his lvl 45 druid.

As for time commitment, eh make it what you will... Don't join a raiding "uber" guild unless you commit to it, just have fun. Im only lvl 25 in EQ2 because I try to go at a slower pace, Im jumping between other games and don't want to be caught in the high end so early. Its to quick of a pace at higher end anyway... you can never really appreciate the content if you burn through it.

I don't know where you get the god status and L33t speak from though, most End Game players are bery professional and usually very serious. In EQ1 I have yet to meet any End Game player who speaks l33t unless its in jest (I was in the 2nd most powerful guild in EQ1 on my server).
Old 02-07-05, 11:39 AM   #12
EciDemon

Send a message via ICQ to EciDemon

Lol i thogh QFT ment Quit feeding troll! *lol*
EciDemon is offline   Reply With Quote