Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-05-05, 10:45 PM   #1
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

Question NCsoft Hires World of WarCraft Team

Quote:
What we heard: An ever-increasing number of sites--including QuartertoThree.com and MMhell.com--are citing the post on Grimwell, which flatly states that "NCSoft just stole a team of developers from Blizzard in Irvine, CA." According to the site, NCsoft has been wooing away Blizzard designers working on the first World of Warcraft expansion. To make jumping ship more attractive, the company has reportedly opened a new office in Irvine, so potential defectors won't have to relocate to NCsoft's US headquarters in Austin, Texas. As evidence of the defections, the conspiracy-minded point to the massive number of new job openings listed on Blizzard's own Web site--positions allegedly vacated by recently departed employees. But while Blizzard did not respond to GameSpot's requests for comment, NCsoft confirmed its digs in Blizzard's backyard. "NCsoft has opened an office in Orange County and we have a development team there working on an unannounced project," said a rep for the company. (The rep would give no further details on the new game, as it is "a long ways off.") However, a source close to NCsoft told GameSpot that the publisher had indeed lured a passel of Blizzard developers away "a long time ago." "It's not even new news, really," said the source, who declined to say how many designers had switched employers. However, seeing how internal NCsoft studio ArenaNet was founded by a group of former Blizzard-ians--the creators of Battle.net, no less--it would come as little surprise if more WOW developers had signed up with the rising publisher.
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/06...s_6126948.html
Old 06-05-05, 11:08 PM   #2
|MaguS|

Default Re: NCsoft Hires World of WarCraft Team

Should have pointed out that this is from the Rumor Control news report, As for NCSoft hiring Blizzard employee's... its not the first time, Guild Wars anyone?
Old 06-06-05, 01:56 PM   #3
Marcos
think of me not at all

Send a message via AIM to Marcos

does this mean blizzard is the best company ever, or does this mean they treat their people like they treat the horde

<-- worst. smiley. ever.
Marcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-05, 01:58 PM   #4
|MaguS|

NCSoft probably is offering more then Blizzard is willing to. NCSoft is still trying to grow here in the US.
Old 06-06-05, 08:18 PM   #5
Vagrant Zero
I'm a Back Door Man

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant Zero

Blizzard is Vivendi's Bitch these days. No wonder people are leaving in droves.
Vagrant Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-05, 11:26 PM   #6
Elderblaze

Before Vivendi they where owned by some other huge coperation.. might have been Universal, I don't remember. It had no effect on their work, kinda silly to assume it does now.
Elderblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-05, 01:17 AM   #7
|MaguS|

Blizzard was always owned by Universal, Which then merged with Vivendi so yeah theres no real diffrence. I mean look they are still able to delay games for the hell of it...
Old 06-07-05, 04:43 AM   #8
Elderblaze

I imagine with the kinda of Numbers Blizzard pulls for a small company, Viviendi gives them all the room they need/want. hell WoW alone has got to be bringing 15 million per month.(unadjusted gross)

Old 06-07-05, 01:23 PM   #9
Vagrant Zero
I'm a Back Door Man

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elderblaze
Before Vivendi they where owned by some other huge coperation.. might have been Universal, I don't remember. It had no effect on their work, kinda silly to assume it does now.
Why the hell do you think Bill Roper left in the first place? Blizzard has already lost 3 major groups of developers who have gone on to form Flagship Studios, ArenaNet, and I forgot the other [they were making a platforming game for the consoles]. I don't know about the other two, but the team from Flagship left Blizzard specifically because they didn't like how Vivendi was running things. And now even more people it seems have left for NCSoft. The Blizzard that made Diablo 2/Starcraft is completely dead these days. D2/SC fanboys can go home now.
Vagrant Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-05, 05:43 PM   #10
Elderblaze

Bah, tey still own the franchise, with all due respect D2, while an awsome game, is not and never was very technical, any decent team could make a good sequel, Action RPG's are easy to make, look at Fate, 2 people made it, and mostly 1 guy. Just take FATE's graphic engine and combine it with D2 Art/Skills/Characters and voila D3.
Old 06-07-05, 05:49 PM   #11
Elderblaze

double