Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-07-05, 12:15 PM   #13
Zelda_fan

Default Re: gaming fees...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf_HK
What is qft?

EDIT: Woa, 160 hours in a month? Damn, thats like 5 hours a day. Where do you get the time for that?
Monday - Friday I play about an hour a day, but on the weekends I play a lot more. Plus there are times I just leave my guy logged on, and walk off and do something else for an hour. Also, there are times I just sit in Ironforge and send my "profession macro" across the trade channel at a specific interval to try and sell stuff while I do homework. Actual real play time is probably a good bit less, but still, even if it was half that at 80 hours it would still be a better deal. Plus this is the first month I've ever played a MMORGP so I'm excited about it .

Also, I can tell from your above comments you haven't played WoW. It is very much a different game where you can log off for a week, then come back and pick right back up like it was nothing.
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-05, 12:29 PM   #14
superklye

I wouldn't have such a problem with paying a fee for an online game if they did one of the two:
First three months free ($50 for the game = just over 3 months of free time @ $15/mo)
Make the game a free download and charge immediately.

Paying $50 and getting a single month free is kinda like pissing in our faces...I don't think getting a single month free is all that good of an incentive to pay $50 for a game. Sorry, but that's just me.
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-05, 01:49 PM   #15
Rakeesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by egbtmagus
I don't know where you get the god status and L33t speak from though, most End Game players are bery professional and usually very serious. In EQ1 I have yet to meet any End Game player who speaks l33t unless its in jest (I was in the 2nd most powerful guild in EQ1 on my server).
Not literally using the l33t speak (except in their names where they use those little gay non alphanumeric characters) but the overall behavior that they are Muhammed Imar Bruce Lee. Every mmorpg I have played is just full of them.

With a game like NS you can just go to a different server and the game is no different. With an mmorpg you can't, not unless you want to start over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superklye
I wouldn't have such a problem with paying a fee for an online game if they did one of the two:
First three months free ($50 for the game = just over 3 months of free time @ $15/mo)
Make the game a free download and charge immediately.

Paying $50 and getting a single month free is kinda like pissing in our faces...I don't think getting a single month free is all that good of an incentive to pay $50 for a game. Sorry, but that's just me.
Yeah that is whats especially annoying. Also, if HL1 were priced like an mmorpg, I would have paid over a thousand dollars by now.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-05, 02:00 PM   #16
Edge
3d animator for hire!

To an extent I agree that fees are necissary for online games which require huge amounts of servers, support personel, and GMs, but at the same time it seems like they're just charging rediculous amounts for the sake of making more money. For these types of games, I think $5-$10 would be a more reasonable amount, and based on what I've seen they'd still be making a healthy profit off of it. There are even free MMORPG servers out there, and MMOs like Guild Wars and now Anarchy Online have no monthly fee, so obviously it's not a TOTAL impossibility for developers to find cheap ways to keep the game running.

However, what I WOULD like to see for these types of games is the ability to play them WITHOUT paying a monthly fee, but limiting the amount of time you can play to around 30 hours each month (or maybe just to an hour each day). Then, for those who want to play more, offer a monthly fee to play the game an unlimited amount of hours. That way, your initial $50 doesn't go to waste after you stop paying a monthly fee, casual players who wouldn't pay for it anyway would still be occasionally hop on and see what's new, and the developers themselves have an encouragement to actually make the game worthwhile enough to make people want to play it more than the "default" aloted time. Plus, it would give people who stopped playing the game a chance to check it out again later after a couple of patches to see if they added enough to rekindle their interest in it (almost like an extended demo). To me, this would be a great solution: no losing characters when you stop paying for the game, no needing to download new demos or needing to re-buy the game to check out any new features, and most importantly your $50 "investment" doesn't go to waste after the first month.

The other thing I would like to see is a "MMO game pass" where you could play ANY MMORPG on the market by paying a single monthly fee. Obviously, this is practically an imposibility since few MMORPG developers even achnoledge that other MMORPGs exist, let alone work with them, but I think this would encourage a LOT more people to check out MMORPGs. For example: the main MMORPGs I've played that I really bothered to put time into are Earth and Beyond, Planetside, and Anarchy Online (for this example, lets pretend E&B isn't shut down and AO isn't free for the non-expansion packed version). Now I liked all of them, but there was no way in hell I was going to pay $13 to $15 a month for each of them, so I never paid a dime for them after the first month. But, if they offered some package deal where I could play any MMORPG I owned for $30 a month, I'd probably be willing to pay it. Just having the freedom to play whatever game I want, when I want, is worth the extra cost for me. The developers can split the earnings based on how many hours each MMO is played. And it wouldn't even cost the developers any extra money, since a single person can only be playing ONE MMO at any given time, and therefor they wouldn't have to pay any extra for servers or GMs than they normally do. SOE has a small-scale program similar to that, except it only includes Planetside, Everquest, and a few lesser-known games. If you want to play Starwars Galaxies...whoops, you have to pay ANOTHER fee for that! So basically they expect you to pay $35 a month to pretty much play their 3 big multiplayer games online...not exactly a popular option. If SWG was part of their all-game pass, I think a LOT more people would jump on it.

Edit: forgive any spelling or grammar mistakes, mornings are not a good time for me (of course, my definition of "morning" starts at noon).
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-05, 02:01 PM   #17
|MaguS|

AO is practically dead, thats the main reason its free (doing it to attract more users, if you read the agreement if too many people sign up they have the right to start charging)... Guild Wars is not an MMO so it shouldnt be compared.
Old 02-07-05, 02:07 PM   #18
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by egbtmagus
Guild Wars is not an MMO so it shouldnt be compared.
Expansive worlds, buttloads of people in the universe, guilds/clans, combat adventures...maybe it's not an RPG in the true sense of the word, but it sure as hell is massively multiplayer online. Guild Wars servers require maintenance and bandwidth just like Everquest. They're no different in that regard.

Edit: Edge, I love the idea you proposed about imposing a time limit. I probably would have picked up something like E&B or Planetside if they had a system like you suggested. What a great idea.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-05, 02:08 PM   #19
Rakeesh

That is another thing, I am a casual player and usually I don't play games more than 10 hours a week (with some exceptions, e.g. during the winter when theres nothing else to do for the season.) MMORPG's seem designed for people who play games more than 100 hours a month.

E&B was a good one, I didn't want to pay the monthly fees for it though so I stopped playing (I have never paid a dime for any MMORPG btw, I have only done beta tests.) If they sold it to me for say $40 and gave a cap of like 20 hours a month I would have been perfectly content with the game.

Also another thing, I tend to like player vs player combat, but thus far most MMORPGs seriously lack a worthwhile pvp component. (I am more of the fighting type than the "lets explore the world and see what strange items we can find" type)

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Last edited by Rakeesh; 02-07-05 at 02:21 PM.
Old 02-07-05, 02:25 PM   #20
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnotaku
Expansive worlds, buttloads of people in the universe, guilds/clans, combat adventures...maybe it's not an RPG in the true sense of the word, but it sure as hell is massively multiplayer online. Guild Wars servers require maintenance and bandwidth just like Everquest. They're no different in that regard.
Im guessing you haven't played the game yet, THe Expansive worls are nothing more then "missions" once completed you return to town (lobby). Buttloads of people only happen in town which are still limited to below 100 (think around 50), in the mission area you can only expore with 4 people or battle our with 2 or 3 teams... thats not massive at all...

Guild/Clans happen in EVERY online game, can they too be considered MMO's then?

Guild Wars is NOTHING more then a Diablo 2 type game with a graphic INGAME lobby and a few extra features. Its no where near as massive or OPEN as EQ/WoW/AO or any other MMORPG. Guild Wars is running on Arena.net... not a closed Network like a MMORPG, consider it like Battle.net.

Guild Wars is a Competitive Online Role-Playing Game, Not a Massive Mulitplayer Online Role-Playing Game.

Old 02-07-05, 02:38 PM   #21
Zelda_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf_HK
That is another thing, I am a casual player and usually I don't play games more than 10 hours a week (with some exceptions, e.g. during the winter when theres nothing else to do for the season.) MMORPG's seem designed for people who play games more than 100 hours a month.

Also another thing, I tend to like player vs player combat, but thus far most MMORPGs seriously lack a worthwhile pvp component. (I am more of the fighting type than the "lets explore the world and see what strange items we can find" type)
I really encourage you to check out World of Warcraft. At least get the free month. WoW is designed for people who play under 10 hours a week as well. They have things like "rest" where if you log off in an inn you will get double XP when you log back on, so players who dont' play that much can advance quickly. Also, World of Warcrafts PvP system is very very well disgned and balanced. It's all about HOW you play your class (as opposed to what your class is) that determines your success in PvP. They are also comming out with this thing called "battlegrounds" which are basically epic PvP wars. Loads of fun.
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-05, 03:04 PM   #22
Rakeesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonk
I really encourage you to check out World of Warcraft. At least get the free month. WoW is designed for people who play under 10 hours a week as well. They have things like "rest" where if you log off in an inn you will get double XP when you log back on, so players who dont' play that much can advance quickly. Also, World of Warcrafts PvP system is very very well disgned and balanced. It's all about HOW you play your class (as opposed to what your class is) that determines your success in PvP. They are also comming out with this thing called "battlegrounds" which are basically epic PvP wars. Loads of fun.
Well, the free month costs $45.

Old 02-07-05, 03:22 PM   #23
killahsin

About the 40 million for hl2. Thats more r&d for technologies within source, forward and backward capabilities. Rather than designing hl2.
killahsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-05, 03:34 PM   #24
vampireuk
**** Holster

Send a message via AIM to vampireuk

Guildwars sucks compared to WOW, also I've joined a guild in WOW. They are semi serious, you can take part in large raids where you have to do exactly what you are told to do otherwise the damn thing fails. Or you can run around and get help with your quests from fellow guild members.