Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-07-05, 03:48 PM   #25
Zelda_fan

Default Re: gaming fees...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf_HK
Well, the free month costs $45.
well if you insist on looking at it from that angle then you will never be able to enjoy a great game. The game and the free month cost $45.

It's just that a MMORPG offers so much more than any other game I have played. I don't think I've ever played an offline game that has a world even 1/5th the size of WoW. Morrowind was the closest, but World of Warcraft is freaking enoumous. The game has so many different things to do, and different aspects to master, it stays a new game for months upon month. For me, games get real old the second after I beat them. It is RARE that I will ever replay a FPS once I've beaten it. I mean what's the point after I've already beaten it? Now I will admit things like Unreal 2k4 I like becasuse you can't master after playing online once. Yeah, you can replay HL 50 times, but to me that is just boring. I need something new, so WoW is right up my alley.

For me the choice is this: either buy a new game every month (most of which I finish in 5 days max) for $50 a month, or I can play $13 a month for a game that will never get old. When it get's old, I will quit, but I don't see that happening for at least 6 months.

You really *ought* to at least try the game before saying MMORPGs aren't for you. Just give it a shot, and if you don't like it, cancel your subscription.
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-05, 04:12 PM   #26
superklye

Except that with MMOs, the devs, as we all know, end up effing up everything at some point after they nerf and counter-nerf and counter-counter-nerf...

With an offline game, such as WC3, if you don't like what the latest patch offers, you don't have to install it, you can go back to previous versions and if you want to play online with that previous version, you can play a LAN game with friends.

WC3 is pretty limitless in scope, too.
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-05, 04:30 PM   #27
Zelda_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by superklye
Except that with MMOs, the devs, as we all know, end up effing up everything at some point after they nerf and counter-nerf and counter-counter-nerf...

With an offline game, such as WC3, if you don't like what the latest patch offers, you don't have to install it, you can go back to previous versions and if you want to play online with that previous version, you can play a LAN game with friends.

WC3 is pretty limitless in scope, too.
Yeah WC3 was for sure a great game, and with battle .net you could keep playing for months. I really, really hope Blizzard dosen't pull that nerf counter nerf **** with WoW. IMHO all the classes are very well balanced (not perfect, but about as balanced as you can get). The open beta is for testing game balance issues, not the retail product. If they start the nerfing, then I may just cancel my subscription.
Old 02-07-05, 05:14 PM   #28
LiquidX
xxxxxxx

I dont buy what some of you say that the price must be that high to maintain there servers. I wouldnt be surprised if it cost them just a few thousand a month for maintanece. I think there just reached that point where they are taken advantage of those with no life and addicted. And you know these guys would get alot more hold outs if the price was $9.99.Thats just about $3 or so less but seems more affordable coming from a marketing standpoint. If WOW was at that price point I may have looked harder at it but he Blizzard has about 200,000 eager dudes that are willing to pay that $13 so the hell if I matter.
LiquidX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-05, 05:17 PM   #29
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by egbtmagus
Im guessing you haven't played the game yet, THe Expansive worls are nothing more then "missions" once completed you return to town (lobby). Buttloads of people only happen in town which are still limited to below 100 (think around 50), in the mission area you can only expore with 4 people or battle our with 2 or 3 teams... thats not massive at all...

Guild/Clans happen in EVERY online game, can they too be considered MMO's then?

Guild Wars is NOTHING more then a Diablo 2 type game with a graphic INGAME lobby and a few extra features. Its no where near as massive or OPEN as EQ/WoW/AO or any other MMORPG. Guild Wars is running on Arena.net... not a closed Network like a MMORPG, consider it like Battle.net.

Guild Wars is a Competitive Online Role-Playing Game, Not a Massive Mulitplayer Online Role-Playing Game.
You're arguing semantics and completely missed my entire point of the need for bandwidth and server maintenance on both counts. It doesn't matter what people are doing, they're still sucking up server space and bandwidth when logged onto the game. There could be 10,000 people playing WoW as well as Guild Wars, doesn't mean they all have to be concentrated in a few large areas. There were at least 35 different cities when I played the GW beta, and there were more than 50 people in each one (probably around 150-200 if I had to estimate).
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-05, 05:24 PM   #30
WeReWoLf

Send a message via MSN to WeReWoLf

I've played WoW for about 320 hours since christmas eve.
WeReWoLf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-05, 05:25 PM   #31
Zelda_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidX
I dont buy what some of you say that the price must be that high to maintain there servers. I wouldnt be surprised if it cost them just a few thousand a month for maintanece. I think there just reached that point where they are taken advantage of those with no life and addicted. And you know these guys would get alot more hold outs if the price was $9.99.Thats just about $3 or so less but seems more affordable coming from a marketing standpoint. If WOW was at that price point I may have looked harder at it but he Blizzard has about 200,000 eager dudes that are willing to pay that $13 so the hell if I matter.
oh yeah they are taking advantage of us for a whopping $13 a month....

You know how much an internet connection capeable of supporting a MMORPG costs? The internet connection alone is probably 50k per month. Not only that, but they had to put an initial truckload of money investment into the server equitment which I estimate costs around $1/2 million per realm, so that's around 30 million just to buy the servers. They also have to hire extra programmers and artists to continue developing content for future updates.
Old 02-07-05, 06:30 PM   #32
PaiN
Don't make me MAD!

No life??? hahahaha
I've been a Respiratory Therapist for 14 years, have a wife & two kids, own my house and I am well invested. I even work out( yep....real exercise ) everyday. I find time to play, plenty of time...I guess its because I don't watch TV, but whatever the case, its a total misconception that people who play "on-line" are pasty basement dwellers....all the EQers and WoWers I know are all professionals or students working on becoming professionals, with a perfectly normal lifes....
Core i5 2500K @ 4.2ghz | EVGA Superclock M020 | Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 | 8gb G.Skill Ripjaws X PC1600 | EVGA GTX570 760/1950 | SB X-Fi Xtremegamer | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610w PSU | (2) WD Black 640gb in RAID"0" | MSI SATA DVD-RW | Saitek Eclipse kb | Logi G5v2 mouse / Steelseries QcK | Antec P182 "Gunmetal" | Logitech 5300a THX 5.1 speakers | ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD
-Windows7 64bit
PaiN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-05, 06:32 PM   #33
Zelda_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeReWoLf5900
I've played WoW for about 320 hours since christmas eve.
good lord, and I though I was addicted lol
Old 02-07-05, 07:28 PM   #34
WeReWoLf

Send a message via MSN to WeReWoLf

yah. and that's even with working 40+ hours per week. And my g'f also racking up about 296 hours since i got it as well. (she uses my account)
WeReWoLf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-05, 07:52 PM   #35
Acid Rain
What a sweet little...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EciDemon
Lol i thogh QFT ment Quit feeding troll! *lol*
No, everyone knows it mean "Quit Flirting, Tard!"
RAM: 4GB KHX6400D2LLK2
3D Porkware: Radeon HD 4890
Aux Equipment: Phase-B Nanocycloptics
Acid Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-05, 08:33 PM   #36
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonk
oh yeah they are taking advantage of us for a whopping $13 a month....

You know how much an internet connection capeable of supporting a MMORPG costs? The internet connection alone is probably 50k per month.
So...they'd only need to sell 2,000 copies of the game a month to make up for the bandwidth costs? That hardly seems unreasonable (assuming half of the retail cost goes into packaging and markup). For other costs, lets say 200,000 people are paying $10 a month to play the game. That right there is $2,000,000, which I think is MORE than enough to cover all the support, server, and patching costs. Hell, many FULL games don't have a budget of $2,000,000, and MMOs make that on a monthly basis. And remember, if the game is gaining enough players that they need even more servers, that just means more income for them.

Though I'll admit, I don't really know how much it costs to run an MMO server. Perhaps you should ask one of these sites: http://www.gamesites200.com/ultimaonline/
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote