Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-07-05, 11:19 PM   #37
Rakeesh

Default Re: gaming fees...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonk
You really *ought* to at least try the game before saying MMORPGs aren't for you. Just give it a shot, and if you don't like it, cancel your subscription.
I have already played some different MMORPGs, I was invited to a few beta tests. Several of those games are fun but nothing I would pay a monthly fee for.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-05, 12:56 AM   #38
Acid Rain
What a sweet little...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf_HK
I have already played some different MMORPGs, I was invited to a few beta tests. Several of those games are fun but nothing I would pay a monthly fee for.
Kinda like cable or dish t.v. A couple interesting channels but nothing I'd be will to pay a monthly fee for.

You don't expect cable to be free, do you? Why do games with the truly massive upkeep that MMORPGS have need to be free?

I dare Guild Wars to turn a long term profit

Some of you guys are saying things like "Well, they could pay for the bandwidth they host by simply selling a couple thousand copies of the game (assuming they aren't warezed to crap, as they are, of course).

So what your saying is that once people are buying like one copy a year (Quake III right now), and the company can't afford to support their game anymore, it's all good because at least they didn't charge?

Also, if you could make a larger profit by simply charging a little for what most people are willing to pay, wouldn't you charge?? Yes, you certainly would.
RAM: 4GB KHX6400D2LLK2
3D Porkware: Radeon HD 4890
Aux Equipment: Phase-B Nanocycloptics

Last edited by Shadowcast; 02-08-05 at 01:09 AM.
Acid Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-05, 01:06 AM   #39
LycosV

MMORPGs are fun, no doubt in my mind. I know servers and bandwidth are expensive. I can remember back at the begining of EQ1 (when I played it) SOE had to get sprint to upgrade one of their hubs in LA because it was bottlenecking them. BUT the price is too high.

It doesn't take a degree in economics to see, look how many MMORPGs there are, Look how many have come out in the past year, they're all surviving (even ol' Ultima Online). And guess what, developers aren't done yet, they're making even MORE MMORPGs. Why do developers spam one gametype? It's not to make us happy, let me give you a hint: $.

I've been in quite a few MMORPG betas and almost all of them, during the sign up process, ask how much money you'd spend to play the game. They give you sections like $8-$10, $10-$12, etc. You know what they do is plug in the numbers, throw up a graph and pick the point where they can make the most money. It's what I'd do, it's what you'd do.

Once we start to tell them (and mean it) that we're only willing to pay $10/month, guess what, they'll only charge us $10/month.
LycosV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-05, 01:10 AM   #40
LycosV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowcast
(assuming they aren't warezed to crap, as they are, of course)
Actually MMORPGs are the only games that can't be pirated. You have a CD key that links directly to your account. And if you did somehow generate a CD-key, your account is hooked to your credit card, which is hooked to your personal information. It's like wearing a shirt with your address on it while you're holding up the bank.

edited for spelling
LycosV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-05, 01:26 AM   #41
|MaguS|

WEll the can't be pirated but someone can have a freeware server made (lineage 2, EQ1,UO and WoW). Some can't though due to the massive amount of info still server side.
Old 02-08-05, 04:01 AM   #42
Acid Rain
What a sweet little...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LycosV
CD-key, your account is hooked to your credit card, which is hooked to your personal information.
If they didn't charge a monthly fee, it wouldn't. See what I mean? The companies would dry up in no time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LycosV
It's like wearing a shirt with your address on it while you're holding up the bank.
LOL....I got a good laugh visualizing your dumb-ass "thief"!
Old 02-08-05, 09:01 AM   #43
Rakeesh

Quote:
Kinda like cable or dish t.v. A couple interesting channels but nothing I'd be will to pay a monthly fee for.
I'll pay a monthly fee for that, it is worth it to me. A game isn't though. Besides, you get more than one channel with tv, with mmorpgs you only have that one game. What if you had two favorites and you get bored of one game so you want to hop on over to the other one, then you pay two concurrent monthly subscription fees or smth?

Every now and then I play starcraft (wc3 is kinda ****,) NS, and HL2DM.

Quote:
If they didn't charge a monthly fee, it wouldn't. See what I mean? The companies would dry up in no time.
If I don't play their game it wont bother me none.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-05, 10:54 AM   #44
BioHazZarD
USCM Marine

Send a message via MSN to BioHazZarD

I prefeer buying a game one time and then i am freely to use it how often or so and dont pay no more. I realize that MMRPGS needs fees and there are lots of people that are willing to pay thats ok, but stop saying that if i want to play doom3 rest of my life i gotta pay like 20 bucks every year otherwise what, i am a bad person ?
Chieftec Miditower /w 5 case fans | Corsair 620W HX PSU | Asus M4N98TD EVO SLI | AMD Athlon2 X2 260 3,2GHz | Corsair 3GB PC3-10666 | eVGA Geforce GTX 460 1GB (336shader) | Samsung Spinpoint x2 250GB HD +SATA 320GB | SB Audigy 4 @ 2.1 | Samsung Syncmaster BX2331 TFT 23" running 1920x1080@60hz | Windows XP PRO SP2 | |
BioHazZarD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-05, 04:32 AM   #45
Acid Rain
What a sweet little...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioHazZarD
I prefeer buying a game one time and then i am freely to use it how often or so and dont pay no more. I realize that MMRPGS needs fees and there are lots of people that are willing to pay thats ok, but stop saying that if i want to play doom3 rest of my life i gotta pay like 20 bucks every year otherwise what, i am a bad person ?
Totally agree. I prefer to pay once and get it over with, too.

If a game is worth it (I haven't quite decided that one is, yet) I'll pay, but, of course, I'd rather not.

Like AlphaHK, if it's not worth it to you, it's pretty easy to ignore, so the issue becomes a non-issue.

Now if they all started requiring internet access like HL2 AND required a monthly fee, I'd be pissed, and I would definitely stop playing. Start building hot-rods or something...
Old 05-15-05, 12:24 PM   #46
Slybri

A good MMO is more like a theme park than a video game. It's a place that you visit, not just a game you play. It's always changing and always alive with activity. WoW had me addicted for 4 months straight and in that time I think I saved up enough money (from not doing anything else) to buy an HDTV.
Of course, after I hit lvl 60 there wasn't much to do besides the same few instances (which I hated doing). So I quit. Maybe I'll go back again one day, when I get bored enough,and they have enough new things to see and do.
From what I hear, they save your characters indefinitley, so you can come back after a few months off.

"Nice shot William Burroughs! You hold a gun like a guy who plays Riven!"
------ The Venture Bros.
Slybri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-05, 04:18 PM   #47
|MaguS|

Way to resurrect a 3 month old thread...
Old 05-16-05, 12:40 AM   #48
Elderblaze

sony station pass for 21.99 will get you acess to 4 MMo's alpha.
Elderblaze is offline   Reply With Quote