Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-08-05, 12:23 AM   #1
ackster

Default X hang when using only HDTV component out at boot

I have a 6600GT card, and when I only hook up the HDTV breakout box, I can see all the boot info, but when Xorg starts up, it hangs and shows nothing on the TV anymore. When this happens, I try to run the nvidia-bug-report.sh and it hangs also. Why you ask? It's hanging on "cat /proc/driver/nvidia/cards/0" . Can someone at NVIDIA offer an explanation?

So far the only time I've been successful at getting output to the HDTV is by booting WITHOUT the breakbox/cable connected, having the RGB port connected to a monitor, and then setting Xorg to use output to HD, and stopping and starting Xorg over again (init 4; init 5). This is an unacceptable solution to getting HD output as this makes any unattended reboots troublesome.

Someone please help.

6629 drivers, running on FC3, 2.6.9 kernel , AMD64, Asus A8N-SLI board, Chaintech 6600GT card, newer Xorg to fix the previous 64bit bug

Last edited by ackster; 02-08-05 at 12:59 AM.
ackster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-05, 12:59 AM   #2
ackster

Default Re: X hang when using on HDTV component out

Another workaround is to leave nothing connected to the video card, boot linux, telnet/ssh in, init 4, connect the HDTV/Svideo breakout box/cable, init 5. Then I also get HDTV output.

In case anyone else is trying the same, I'm doing 1080i .

Here's the xorg.conf attached.
Attached Files
File Type: txt xorg.conf.1080i.txt (2.2 KB, 190 views)
ackster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-05, 02:19 PM   #3
jwymanm

Default Re: X hang when using only HDTV component out at boot

I also have the same problem with a Chaintech SA6600G (6600GT).

I actually do not have Linux setup atm to boot into X with a DM, but rather use startx. Standard console (including vesa modes) get output fine through the component adapter which is to be expected. When I launch X with the adapter connected it just haults with an underscore at the top left. I am only able to do ctrl+alt+del to reboot. I checked in the detailed logs and I get a V_BIOS checksum error only when I try to start X with the component adapter connected. This is on an amd 64 3500+ with linux operating in 64bit mode with 64bit Xorg 6.8.2. I experience different results from different Xorg releases and different kernels. I am running kernel 2.6.11 right now and it still hangs. A previous version of Xorg, 6.8.0 I believe, would start X but then I'd get a slow vertical draw of the standard X checkered background at the top 4% of the screen then X would crash.

I haven't tried 32bit mode for the 6629 drivers, I may give that a go. HDTV isn't too stable under Windows either and I suspect that NVIDIA needs some time developing their drivers for it. Still, keep up the good work NVIDIA/Linux, it's amazing to have 64bit drivers with any 3d accel at all (not to mention for Linux!).
jwymanm is offline   Reply With Quote