Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-14-05, 05:04 PM   #49
Greg

Default Re: KOTOR II Ships !

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveW
I spent some more time on it, the characters and storyline get more interesting once you get off the mining outpost, which is so boring.

Anyway, I am now stuck. I need money to fill some quest and the swoop racing is totally bugged. If you forfeit one race, the race organiser will forever tell you that you didn't finish the race, even if you get the best time ever. Its going back on the shelf until a patch comes out.
I agree. I asked about the best times and he still didn't acknowledge the fact that I'd beat all but the #1 record time. I ended up selling a lot of my weapons to get money to pay to complete two quests so I'd get light side points.
Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-05, 08:57 PM   #50
SH64
MAXIMUM TECH

KOTOR II patch 1.0a is out .
http://www.3dgamers.com/games/swknig...ic2/downloads/

- "My name is RAM and my tank is full"

http://warhawk64nv.mybrute.com/ <-- pupils go thaarrr! Or,
http://silenthunter64.mybrute.com
SH64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-05, 05:11 AM   #51
msxyz
Hybrid Microprocessor

I've finished the game. Well despite my initial rumblings, I've found this game better than I anticipated... until I played the last chapter. It occurred to me and apparently to a certain numbers of individuals on the Obsidian forums, that this game is another bad example of rushed out product.

Why? Well the ending itself does not explain many things, it happens in a sort of anti-climatic atmosphere and while the "main villain" dialogue is well scripted and shed some light on her actions this is not true for other characters, their motivations and their fate. It appears that there are many more dialogue lines and half-finished missions to be found in the files. There's a couple of people digging them out over at the Obsidfian forums and, by the look of it, it seems that Kotor 2 might have been a much better game.

For start there is an incredible, dramatic ending not accessible in game and that might be the original ending planned and that was cutted out either for time constraints or because of "political decisions" from the LE part. It's very dramatic, maybe too much "adult" for a computer game; it reminds me somehow of the ending of Panescape Torment where all the rancors/friendships between characters come to light. And it would have been even better as the main character influence on them results on a lot of different variations in the outcome.

There are also many leftovers from unfinished missions (ever wondered where all those assasin droids came from ?), new areas to explore, better interaction with some characters (Mandolore and Bao-Dur are little more than furniture aboard the Ebon Hawk). Other characters like Atton and the Handmaiden appear to had originally more dialogue options including *romances* and some degree of influence on their jedi training.

Who to blame ? For sure Lucas Arts Entertainment. I still miss the days where LE was a recognized developer with an in-house army of talented developers. Monkey Island, the many other adventures on Commodore 64/Amiga that filled my youth, Dark Forces... only to quote some. The new strategy of LE is only oriented to make some quick cash on the Star Wars franchise with a broad range of producs devloped by third parties. It seems this strategy works well, save for upsetting the loyal fans of the Sw universe, but they're only a minority of geeks and the industry usually does not pay attention to the ramblings of geeks when the louder sound of money coming from uneducated masses captures their attention.

Who else to blame ? Obsidian ? Probably they had their hands tied by a contract with many obligations. It's either take or leave. Obsidian is a young company formed by some former Black Isle developers and from other well recognized developeing studios. They're a bunch of skilled people but, as it happens with Troika, they're probably crushed between budget considerations and timelines dictated by their producers.
XFX 9600GSO 384MB
Little freak wonder
msxyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-05, 05:34 AM   #52
|MaguS|

Actually I found out about all the other characters fate at the end minus the ones I did not have good influence over, I think thats the deciding factor on the information you are told. Romances are in the game aswell as converting other characters into Jedi's (all but Mandalor and the Driods I believe).

Vagrant Zero, The level cap is 30 I believe but I dout you will even get there, I beat the game at lvl 27 on the Xbox.
Old 02-16-05, 05:46 AM   #53
nVidi0t
Quad Damage

Send a message via ICQ to nVidi0t

I just got this today on Xbox... but first sleep, then play!!!
System: Intel Core 2 e6600 @ 3.6ghz (450*8) @ 1.475v | Koolance Exos 2 Water Cooler | 4096Mb Mushkin ASCENT 8500 @ 2.1v @ 1160Mhz| Asus P5k Deluxe P35 'bearlake' 804bios | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 850W| BFG 8800GT OC2 675Mhz | 150GB WD Raptor X | Seagate Barracuda 250GB SATA | Lian Li V2000 PC2 Case | Pioneer DL Burner | Creative Sound Blaster X-FI FATAL1TY FPS | Dell 2707WFP 27" LCD | Windows Vista Ultimate | Sennheiser HD-590 Prestige/Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones w/ Emmeline Hornet Amp | Razer Deathadder | Razer tarantula Keyboard |
nVidi0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-05, 07:25 AM   #54
msxyz
Hybrid Microprocessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by egbtmagus
Romances are in the game aswell as converting other characters into Jedi's (all but Mandalor and the Driods I believe).
You cannot describe a couple of lines of dialogue as "romances". Nothing compared to the first Kotor, much less to game like Baldur's Gate 2.

Aside from Bao-Dur's fate (and maybe because it's the only one which was intended to end like that) all the rest of the NPCs get a couple of lines of dialogue at the end and nothing more. The ending sequence is a lame 30 sec movie. Wtf ?

The whole influence concept, while certainly a positive innovation, it was badly implemented or not used to its full potential. It affects only a few dialogues lines. And there is no NPCs training as Jedi: it's simply a matter of unlocking them. Big deal. Before the end of the game I had my little army of LVL 20+ jedi knights beating the sh!t out of the galaxy at my will.

As originally planned, it seems that the actions and the dialogue options of the main character would have affected also the jedi training of the NPCs as well as their loyalty and their behaviour with other NPCs. Something along the lines of what seen in Baldur's Gate.

Nothing of this made to the final game.

One last thing: random items suck. You can get uber items at the beginning of the game or end up your quest with your inventory littered by dozens of identical, useless things. Aside from a few plot objects EVERYTHING is random. Loot, treasures, merchant stuff. Needless to say, this thing is very unbalancing. Random items should be limited to minor loot like health packs, grenades, side weapons.