Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-11-05, 11:19 AM   #13
Knot3D

Default Re: Why is Nintendo ignoring Adult Gamers?

I don't think it's about visual style nor gameplay. GameCube gets RE4, Mortal Kombat, Splinter Cell etc.

It's more a difference in approach to the medium 'video games'. That Silicon Knight's guy who produced Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes stated he and Nintendo had a differentiating opinions on 'story' and narrative in games.

I doubt we'll ever see such games like Silent Hill 2 on a Nintendo system. From a superficial standpoint the game falls into the Horror game genre.

But the gamers who know SH2, know it's a story driven game about some pretty serious themes to make you think about such matters as human fatal deseases and how ppl deal with that within a relationship.

So, I think such things as gore or visual violence are not the 'issue' on Nintendo platforms.
Old 02-11-05, 11:59 AM   #14
Zelda_fan

I disagree with a lot of what the article says on Page 2. It says that the mature male gamer is mainly interested in: shooting things, blowing $%#@& up, and scantily-clad ladies. That is the biggest load of horse**** I've ever read in my life. When I play a game I want immersion, some sort of puzzel solving aspect to it, and an overall fun factor. I could really give a rats ass if the game has scantily-clad women in it. Blowing things up and shooting stuff falls under fun factor, but that is just one element for a game to be enjoyable to me.

Immersion (to me) is a combination of story, atmosphere, and graphics. Nintendo's pretty good on story and atmosphere, but I'll admit they are lacking a bit in grahpics. Still, 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

One thing I love about Nintendo's first party games is they almost always include "puzzle solving" in one form or another. IMHO Nintendo has always had a leg up on the competition in this aspect.

Then there is the fun factor.... I describe the fun factor as basically something in the game that makes you say "Holy **** that was awsome!" An example of this was in Zelda Orcarina of Time, when you first found the master sword and transformed into Adult Link. Granted Nintendo's "fun factor" isn't what it used to be, I am seeing improvement, and I think it's definatly going back to where it used to be.
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-05, 12:08 PM   #15
Gator
Unreal Tournament Gamer

I don't own any kiddie Gamecube games and I got a decent collection. They still have Need for Speed series, Mortal Kombat, Resident Evil, Metroid, Godzilla, and various other things. They even have more violent stuff like Ghost Recon and Terminator3. Sure the Mario and anime stuff makes me ill, but other consoles have silly titles too and nobody said you have to buy those games. It just so happens Nintendo has more kiddie titles, but it's not their only ones.

Overall I'm very pleased with my Gamecube, it's great for what it is. Better quality graphics & faster loading times than PS2; and cheaper than XBOX.

And personally I think Halo2 is cool, but I wish it was on PC not XBOX. I can't stand first person shooters with a joystick, I need a keyboard and mouse. So for me games like Halo2 on XBOX are not a selling point. Besides who wants to support Microsoft
Old 02-11-05, 12:19 PM   #16
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

I think the better question is, why does Nintendo ignore supporting third party developers? I used to love Nintendo... but lately they just haven't been doing it. They have been on a sharp decline in quality of hardware and software. Do I enjoy Nintendo first party games? For the most part... yes. However, it is getting a bit ridiculous the amount of times that I have to go through the many Metroid games and get the ball form and then ball bombs and then missles, etc. Or in Zelda games where I have to get some crappy pendants... and then the triforce/master sword. I guess I am just tired of 99% of the Nintendo games being almost exact copies of their predecessors.
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-05, 12:37 PM   #17
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Nintendo has support from Square-Enix, Capcom, Konami, EA, Ubisoft...the list goes on. I'm not sure I understand you entirely on this point. You do make a very good point about the first party games, though. I've noticed this to, only very recently. While Metroid Prime was itself excellent, Metroid Prime 2 is great - but it's the same game. Zelda: WW was neat, but it was the same as OoT (gameplay only, otherwise it sucked). I'm fine with them keeping recurring themes (Triforce, etc) but I would very much like to see some innovative gameplay to compliment this. Not that they haven't been able to do this, but very recently the first-party titles have been pretty stale. The new Zelda looks awesome though.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-05, 12:41 PM   #18
Vagrant Zero
I'm a Back Door Man

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant Zero

Short of RE4 Capcom hasn't released a single good game for the Gamecube. Hopefully Killer 7 will be good. Square Enix hasn't released anything decent for the GC. Konami, don't know if they've released anything that is GC exclusive [Twin Snakes was developed primarily by Silicon Knights, not Konami]. EA develops for all 3 consoles so it doesn't count. And I'm not sure about Ubisoft. All in all GC has very few worthwhile exclusives. Twin Snakes, RE4, Baten Kaitos, Zeldas, and Tales of Symphonia were the main reasons I got mine. Oh ya, and the Rogue Squadron games. But I don't think Factor 5 develops for Nintendo anymore.
Vagrant Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-05, 12:52 PM   #19
|MaguS|

Tales of Symphonia and RE4 aren't exclusive anymore... As for other good Capcom games other then RE4, Viewtiful Joe anyone?

I just think Nintendo doesn't have a wide veriaty in games anymore. I mean they have some of the best First Party titles but most of thier Third Party games just suck... Look at the Ps2 and see how many awsome games are released by other companies other then Sony. I mean even Jonk, the biggest Fanboi I have seen on the forum, says himself how awsome thier first party games are and buys the console/handhelds because he knows the famous series (Zelda, Mario, Metroid) will release on them. They litterly depend on the same series to live off... if they didn't have those games they would have gone under (as in Hardware) with Sega.

My dream is that Nintendo gives up consoles like Sega and becomes a Game Developer. They have some awsome games but lack true support that consoles need, thats why the PS1 beat the N64, Saturn and Dreamcast. It had the games and the support.
Old 02-11-05, 12:55 PM   #20
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

We weren't talking about exclusives, we were talking about third-party developers. Twin Snakes may not have been developed in-house by Konami but they published it and it's Konami property at any rate. EA developing for all 3 is actually what makes it count, Ubisoft is the same here. Capcom hasn't really released any good games for any other systems either, except for Devil May Cry. Remember also that we're discussing Nintendo as a whole, which includes Game Boy titles like the Castlevania series (Konami) and the new Zelda games (Flagship, a subsidiary of Capcom). Square has ported FF1+2 to the Gameboy Advance, which is worth mentioning IMO. I think the Gamecube is overall just as healthy a system as any other, but then again that's because I hate sports games.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-05, 01:11 PM   #21
Vagrant Zero
I'm a Back Door Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaman09
We weren't talking about exclusives, we were talking about third-party developers.
Tough noogies, we live in the real world, one without bubbles to sheild us from actuality.

Quote:
Twin Snakes may not have been developed in-house by Konami but they published it and it's Konami property at any rate.
Fine, I'll let you have that lifesaver.

Quote:
EA developing for all 3 is actually what makes it count, Ubisoft is the same here.
Why get a GC when these games also come out for PS2/XB?

Quote:
Capcom hasn't really released any good games for any other systems either, except for Devil May Cry.
Psh are ya ****tin me? Breath of Fire, Onimusha 1 and 3, 3 MMX games [well I love MMX, the reviewers can choke on my hairy balls], DMC3, Chaos Legion, etc.

Quote:
Remember also that we're discussing Nintendo as a whole, which includes Game Boy titles like the Castlevania series (Konami) and the new Zelda games (Flagship, a subsidiary of Capcom). Square has ported FF1+2 to the Gameboy Advance, which is worth mentioning IMO.
No, we're discussing Nintendo + Adults. I don't think we should turn to the kiddiest of all systems [gameboy] for this discussion.

Quote:
I think the Gamecube is overall just as healthy a system as any other, but then again that's because I hate sports games.
The gamecube has crap for exclusives, but then again that's because I love rpgs.
Old 02-11-05, 01:12 PM   #22
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Well I meant that I can't think of any GREAT third party exclusive games out for the Gamecube. PS2 and Xbox have them... Nintendo's only good third party games are multiplatform (and sometimes a company doesn't even bother porting to Gamecube because sales aren't great).
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-05, 01:12 PM   #23
Vagrant Zero
I'm a Back Door Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by egbtmagus
Tales of Symphonia and RE4 aren't exclusive anymore... As for other good Capcom games other then RE4, Viewtiful Joe anyone?
You're right about ToS, but RE4 looks like it's going to be seriously crapped down in the graphics department. More like a raping than a porting. And I didn't mentioned VJ because it's on the PS2 as well.
Old 02-11-05, 01:34 PM   #24
Marcos
think of me not at all

Send a message via AIM to Marcos

Michael Jackson is the president of Nintendo

<-- worst. smiley. ever.
Marcos is offline   Reply With Quote