Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-11-05, 02:50 PM   #25
aAv7

Default Re: Why is Nintendo ignoring Adult Gamers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos
Michael Jackson is the president of Nintendo
Then why hasn't Luigi molested toad yet in level 3 behind a green pot with a mutated plant popping up and down out of it.
[SIZE="1"][B]CPU:[/B] AMD64 3200+ Winchester @ 2.2 [B]RAM:[/B] 2GB Kingston Dual Channel DDR 400 [B]Motherboard:[/B] Gigabyte K8 Triton nForce4 [B]VideoCard:[/B] eVGA GeForce 7800GTX 512MB [B]Hard Drive:[/B] WD 250GB Sata [B]OS:[/B] Dual boot, Windows XP Home/Windows Professional x64 Edition Retail[B] Audio:[/B] X-Fi Xtreme Music [B]Mouse:[/B] Logitech MX 310 [B]PSU:[/B] 500W Ultra Connect (34A on the 12V+)[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"][B]Xbox 360:[/B] w/ Intercooler @ 1280x1024 , Dynasty Warriors 5, Fight Night Round 3, Kameo, NBA 2K6, Perfect Dark Zero CE, and PGR 3[SIZE="1"][/SIZE][/SIZE]
aAv7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-05, 02:55 PM   #26
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant Zero
Tough noogies, we live in the real world, one without bubbles to sheild us from actuality.
That made no sense whatsoever.
Quote:
Why get a GC when these games also come out for PS2/XB?
We aren't talking about the merits of the Gamecube but whether or not Nintendo has 3rd party support. The fact that EA publishes for Sony and Microsoft does not change the fact that they publish for the Gamecube as well.
Quote:
Psh are ya ****tin me? Breath of Fire, Onimusha 1 and 3, 3 MMX games [well I love MMX, the reviewers can choke on my hairy balls], DMC3, Chaos Legion, etc.
The only good BoF game was Dragon Quarter, Onimusha was good, I'll give you that, MMX hasn't been good since 3, DMC3 isn't out yet, Chaos Legion blew nuts, etc.
Quote:
No, we're discussing Nintendo + Adults. I don't think we should turn to the kiddiest of all systems [gameboy] for this discussion.
Mr. Hunt and I were discussing third party support, which was a tangent of the topic, and to which you responded. So it's very relevant.
Quote:
The gamecube has crap for exclusives, but then again that's because I love rpgs.
Many people would disagree with you. Metroid Prime alone justifies the purchase of the system for most people. If you don't like it that's fine but your particular opinion does not serve to support whatever point you're trying to make.

What's with the hostile tone? We're just trying to have a conversation here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hunt
Nintendo's only good third party games are multiplatform
This is a good point, though, and an unfortunate situation for Nintendo. It seems like every "Only For" label they've had from third parties is being stripped away. They really are going downhill fast.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-05, 03:09 PM   #27
aAv7

Ok, seriously here, Nintendo shot themselves in the foot with a .45 when they stuck to cart format and charged insane fees to develop for their platform(s). When sony crept up behind the big N in 95/96 it allowed for publishers and devlopers to "jump ship" and not have to worry about going hungry. They came to a system where the company treated you better, paid you more, charged you less, and had a disk format. Which would you choose? That's why their 3rd party is so bare, developers get charged insane amounts to make a game on cube, a system they already know has the smallest user base and least amount of money to make off of. So does nintendo give breaks or cuts costs for normal 3rd parties? Nah, they treat them like dirt and continue to be insane about it. But yet when it comes to square they frickin buy them a new building and give them a huge amount of $$ to make one sh*tty game on their system so far. It just shows you their all mixed up over there. Look at ea, they were going to leave the cube entirely in 03 and nintendo had to basically bend over and give them what they wanted to keep madden and nba live there. And the cube ports have not been the nicest.

Fast forward to today and you have the same problem, Nintendo, whom I do love, is a pompous ass. They have their head in the clouds and have this idea that they invented home consoles and will always be the "real deal". Now while, atari and coleco and all the others beat nintendo to the market, nintendo did pretty much make home consoles the norm, and that's great, but they need to stop living off past achievements and marketing strategies and learn to live with the rest of the world in 2005. They arent commited to online play. Pc's have been doing it for what? 15 years? Xbox is pushing it, Ps2 could do a better job, but do use it. Gamecube on the other hand has, what? 3 online titles? Why didn't they make Mario Kart, online? How cool would that have been? Or the original Metroid Prime? I don't get it, all these first party games and they ignore online play....them being 100% against it, is what makes me turn my head from them these days. That and the fact, as mentioned above, their first party line is repititious, seems like with each console, every 1st party game gets a remake graphically, but basically stays the same game we all played when we were kids.

I mean I had a cube, loved animal crossing, loved metroid prime. There are a few good games for the system, but nintendo will never be the power house they were unless they learn to realize it's going to take more than treating developers like dirt and sticking to formulas you invented in 89.
[SIZE="1"][B]CPU:[/B] AMD64 3200+ Winchester @ 2.2 [B]RAM:[/B] 2GB Kingston Dual Channel DDR 400 [B]Motherboard:[/B] Gigabyte K8 Triton nForce4 [B]VideoCard:[/B] eVGA GeForce 7800GTX 512MB [B]Hard Drive:[/B] WD 250GB Sata [B]OS:[/B] Dual boot, Windows XP Home/Windows Professional x64 Edition Retail[B] Audio:[/B] X-Fi Xtreme Music [B]Mouse:[/B] Logitech MX 310 [B]PSU:[/B] 500W Ultra Connect (34A on the 12V+)[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"][B]Xbox 360:[/B] w/ Intercooler @ 1280x1024 , Dynasty Warriors 5, Fight Night Round 3, Kameo, NBA 2K6, Perfect Dark Zero CE, and PGR 3[SIZE="1"][/SIZE][/SIZE]
Old 02-11-05, 03:18 PM   #28
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aAv7
and sticking to formulas you invented in 89.
That right there is probably their biggest mistake. I think that Nintendo is relying too much on the fact that it's (arguably) the "grandaddy" of video game consoles and its tried-and-true business plan that worked almost two decades ago. They've never been quick to catch on to new trends or consumer demand. Anyone remember the big deal when Mortal Kombat came out for the Genesis and SNES and they replaced the blood with "grey sweat" because of Nintendo's policies? Yet surely enough they buckled a couple of years later with MKII. Refusing to leave the cartridge format behind was another short-sighted act that ended up screwing them over horribly, and now it's the "kiddie-game" stigma attached to the company that's dragging them down. It really would be best for them to leave the home console hardware business and stick to software and handhelds, it's what they do best anyway.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-05, 03:38 PM   #29
aAv7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaman09
That right there is probably their biggest mistake. I think that Nintendo is relying too much on the fact that it's (arguably) the "grandaddy" of video game consoles and its tried-and-true business plan that worked almost two decades ago. They've never been quick to catch on to new trends or consumer demand. Anyone remember the big deal when Mortal Kombat came out for the Genesis and SNES and they replaced the blood with "grey sweat" because of Nintendo's policies? Yet surely enough they buckled a couple of years later with MKII. Refusing to leave the cartridge format behind was another short-sighted act that ended up screwing them over horribly, and now it's the "kiddie-game" stigma attached to the company that's dragging them down. It really would be best for them to leave the home console hardware business and stick to software and handhelds, it's what they do best anyway.

Exactly, they're either too naive which means they shouldn't be in buisness, or they're too stubborn to change, which is also horrible buisness they shouldn't be in. Handhelds and 3rd part titles on xbox2 and ps3, then again....if it's the same mario kart game i've been playing since 92...I dont care what system it's on, i'm still tired of the formula.

Old 02-11-05, 03:42 PM   #30
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Yup... I wish Nintendo would just give up on the hardware market and concentrate on Software (and even then they need to work harder on improving their software).
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-05, 04:44 PM   #31
Zelda_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by egbtmagus
Tales of Symphonia and RE4 aren't exclusive anymore... As for other good Capcom games other then RE4, Viewtiful Joe anyone?

I just think Nintendo doesn't have a wide veriaty in games anymore. I mean they have some of the best First Party titles but most of thier Third Party games just suck... Look at the Ps2 and see how many awsome games are released by other companies other then Sony. I mean even Jonk, the biggest Fanboi I have seen on the forum, says himself how awsome thier first party games are and buys the console/handhelds because he knows the famous series (Zelda, Mario, Metroid) will release on them. They litterly depend on the same series to live off... if they didn't have those games they would have gone under (as in Hardware) with Sega.

My dream is that Nintendo gives up consoles like Sega and becomes a Game Developer. They have some awsome games but lack true support that consoles need, thats why the PS1 beat the N64, Saturn and Dreamcast. It had the games and the support.
Thanks a lot for the fanboi jab. I think it was quite unnecessary seeing as I haven't even said anything to you in this thread.

Yes, I love nintendo's first party titles. I love them, and they probably make up half of my top ten favorite games of all time. Is that so hard to swallow? I like Nintendo games way more than I like Sony games. It's my opinion, and I don't see how I'm a fanboy becasue of that.

With that said, I do agree with you, if it wasn't for first party games like Mario and Zelda, Nintendo would have probably gone out of business. I've loved Mario and Zelda ever since I was a kid, and I'm sure millions agree with me otherwise Nintendo would be dead by now. It's pretty rare that I'll buy a 3rd party game for a console, because I can usually find them for the PC, and I'd rather play them on that.

Another thing, while there 3rd party games aren't that great for the console, their 3rd party games for the handhelds rock! Golden Sun 1&2 anyone? Hell, the GBA even had the origional Doom on it.

I would say that the N64 beat the PS1. At best they tied. Yeah, the PS2 pretty much dominated, but the N64 was really a great system with great games. Mario 64, Starfox 64, and Zelda OOT had comepletely new styles of gameplay from previous nintendo games.
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-05, 04:52 PM   #32
aAv7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonk
Mario 64, Starfox 64, and Zelda OOT had comepletely new styles of gameplay from previous nintendo games.

Mario 64
Mario jumps on an object, kills koopa, advances to the next level and continues this until he once again fights bowser.

Zelda:OOT
Link saves zelda from gannon...again...in hyrule....again...with only one village....again....

Starfox64
Shoot at stuff with better visuals

If anything, star fox adventures for cube was an advancement, as was windwaker.

I mean, yea, the above mentioned 64 titles were fun, but completely new styles of gameplay?

Old 02-11-05, 05:18 PM   #33
Zelda_fan

Oh come on. That's like sayin that HL1 had the same gameplay as HL2 since you still shoot aliens and soldiers.

First of all, that was the first time all three of those games were set in a 3D envoronment, and that alone gives it new gameplay.

In Mario 64 you didn't just advance to the next level. There were several stars you had to collect in different levels to advance, makeing the game more non-linear. Also, I don't recall you being able to grab bowerser by his tail and swing him in any of the previous marios . Most of the bosses in Mario 64 were puzzels in themselves, and that was completely different from any other Mario game.

In Zelda there were several villages. Kakariko village, Goron City, Hyrule, Zora's Domain, etc etc. I also don't ever recall link being able to ride a horse in any of the past Zelda games. There was so much new stuff in that game it wasn't even funny.

Other than 3D there wasn't too much new with starfox, but I mean come on, 2D -> 3D is a big difference. That was the first game I had ever experienced flight simulation in a 3d environment.
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-05, 05:30 PM   #34
MustangSVT
Stop looking at me

I just don't like Nintendo because their console (GameCube) basically lacks 3rd party support. There's isn't really any racing games on it. The only exclusive games that are different e to what exclusive games for the other consoles are F-Zero GX, Resident Evil 4 and SSBM and Metroid and that's about it for me. F-Zero doesn't pop out to me since it's a futuristic racer and will never be as good as Project Gotham 2, or Gran Turismo 4 or RalliSport or Burnout 3 etc. RE4, good game, but only 1 game, and doesn't have multiplayer or online (big turn off to me). SSBM, good fighting game, but that's one good exclusive fighting game, just one. Metroid, probably good game, but lack of real multiplayer fun, auto-aim and again, not much of a replay value there, and those are the "special exclusive games" which pop out in my mind when I think of GC. In my opinion, that's not enough games to make me buy a GameCube and their games.

Also, their DS, lacks any good games for the most part. The touch screen is more a gimmick. Fun, but doesn't make old and boring gameplay of games like Mario 64 and Ridge Racer 64 fun. PSP on the other hand, well I don't have a PS2, and Ridge Racers looks like a much better racing game, and Gran Turismo 4 Mobile sounds cool, though I'm not planning on buying either PSP or DS at all.

2. Q9550 @ 3.7, ASUS P5K, Galaxy 8800GT G92, 2GB Mushkin DDR2-1066, Samsung 710N + Samsung 205BW, Audigy 2 + SB Live! 5.1 (hooked up together, really), dad's comp

3. XP-M 2500+ @ 205x11.5, Gigabyte nForce2-400, GeForce4 Ti4200, 2x512MB OCZ DDR-400 "Premier", oldie
MustangSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-05, 05:46 PM   #35
Mr_LoL
Bush's Doppleganger

How do you guys think Nintendos new console revolution whatever its called gonna sell? Especially with no GTA etc.
Core i5 2500K@ 4.5, KFA2 GTX 570, Gigabyte Z68, 8GB Corsair XMS 1600MHZ, Antec Truepower New 650w, Coolermaster Storm Sniper, 1TB Samsung F1, Yamakasi Catleap 27", Samsung 245B, Asus Xonar DG...blah blah blah
Mr_LoL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-05, 06:20 PM   #36
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

It will sell... but it will probably be the worst of the 3 nextgen consoles.
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote