Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows XP And Vista

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-29-02, 09:53 AM   #25
de><ta
prodigy

the problem with windex users is that they do not know how on earth a computer works. I still remember in linux how i installed my zip drive on the mountable, the experience was awesome. All windows users see is that crappy old flying multicoloured window and they reckon that is all there is too a computer.

Linux does not take that long to figure out. Once you know some basic comand lines you can use man and find out the rest of the stuff.

Another thing with windows is when you kill an application it leaves a whole trail of garbage. Why cause some of the components for running a program are in one cluster while some of them are else where. With linux when you kill an application it does a clean and thorough job. I hate it when windows xp tries telling me that it is going to attempt to shut down an app even after i told it to kill it.

I am not going to use an OS which does not listen to my commands. The only sole reason as to why i use winnypoo is cause half the games are created for that crap OS.

hehe, even John Carmack is a fan of linux. Someday in the near future linux will rule. THE END.

///m-powered | Intel i7 920 | EVGA x58 | 6GB DD3 1600 | EVGA GTX 285 SSC | 150GB VelociRaptor

Drag racing is for fast cars. Autocrossing is for fast drivers.
de><ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-02, 12:07 PM   #26
sebazve

Quote:
Originally posted by de&gt;&lt;ta
the problem with windex users is that they do not know how on earth a computer works. I still remember in linux how i installed my zip drive on the mountable, the experience was awesome. All windows users see is that crappy old flying multicoloured window and they reckon that is all there is too a computer.

Linux does not take that long to figure out. Once you know some basic comand lines you can use man and find out the rest of the stuff.

Another thing with windows is when you kill an application it leaves a whole trail of garbage. Why cause some of the components for running a program are in one cluster while some of them are else where. With linux when you kill an application it does a clean and thorough job. I hate it when windows xp tries telling me that it is going to attempt to shut down an app even after i told it to kill it.

I am not going to use an OS which does not listen to my commands. The only sole reason as to why i use winnypoo is cause half the games are created for that crap OS.

hehe, even John Carmack is a fan of linux. Someday in the near future linux will rule. THE END.

oh man so true. Most of the time i use the Task Manager the ****ing End Program doesnt work and even the ******* End Process it just stay there doing nothing. I guess MS never heard about the kill -KILL command . How difficult is to kill an app?

MS makes ****ty, easy OS and they are so popular because as you said most people dont know a **** about PC
But more important MS IS THE KING OF MARKETTING!
sebazve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-02, 12:52 PM   #27
Matthyahuw

Send a message via ICQ to Matthyahuw Send a message via AIM to Matthyahuw Send a message via Yahoo to Matthyahuw

I love Linux, I do most of my surfing on it...
I'm fairly new at it, but installing the 3D drivers is what's holding me back, no matter what I do, i can't get them to run, whether I follow nV's ReadMe, or follow this Forum, they just don't work...
Until Linux makes it super-easy for drivers to go in, it's gonna be on the back burner (or not even on the stove) for most...
Old 08-30-02, 12:53 PM   #28
darkmiasma
... Meh ...

you guys do understand that the reason Linux is not as widespread and popular has nothing to do with the fact that Microsoft has a monopoly; it is simply because Windows is easy to use.

everyone in this forum happens to be very good with computers, but the average person only knows how to email, surf the net, and type a document. this is the reason Windows is so popular. all you have to do is turn on the computer and go. they don't know about bloat or performance; they don't format their systems, or tweak inf files. hell they don't even upgrade their drivers. if something doesnt work, they restart the computer and try again - no one cares.

the reason Linux is so powerful is because of all the customizations that you can do to it; but that is also its biggest downfall. 95% of the people that use a computer would never do anything in their life more complicated than add one piece of hardware.

as Windows is concerned i, just like everyone else here, could run it in my sleep. i have my MCP, MCSE 2000, MCSA, MCDBA, Exchange Server 5.5, SQL Server, A+, and Network+ certifications. however, Linux should be easy for any of us in this forum to use, with a bit of common sense, and some time to adjust to the learning curve. i just started using it about 3 months ago, and i am finally getting comfortable with it, but it was a big adjustment.

to wrap up this big rant, the benefit of using Linux over Windows is the fact that it is completely customizable and streamline; you have direct control over everything that goes on. the downside is the same - YOU have direct control of everything that goes on, and you must take your time and not fool around ... a quick restart does not solve your problems anymore, and you need to prepare yourself for a period of adjustment.

- mike

MCSE, MCSA, MCP, A+, Net+, Security+
---------------------------------------------

CPU - [ AMD Athlon X2 4200+] Motherboard - [ Asus A8N-SLI Premium] RAM - [ 2GB Crucial DDR400] Videocard - [ eVGA GeForce 7900GT KO (256MB)] Hard Drives - [ (2x) 80.0 GB WD SATA-II ] [(2x) 300.0 GB WD SATA-II] Burner - [ 16x DVD-R/RW - 48x CD-R/RW (Lite-On) ] Soundcard - [ Soundblaster Audigy 2 ] PSU - [ Antec TruePower II 550W] Case - [ Lian-Li PC61 (Plexi window, Blue SA CC Tube) ] Monitor - [ Dell FP2005 (20" Widescreen Flat Panel) ]
darkmiasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-02, 02:11 PM   #29
The Baron

The reason Windows is still big is that all major apps are written for it because all people have it. All people have it, in turn, because all apps are written for it.
Old 09-01-02, 11:03 PM   #30
utiel

Default windows, linux, which better???

Simply is something different.

I have winXP, and Linux.

when I am bored of Windows, I start Linux.

When I am bored of Linux, start windows

and, I use my computer for the programs, not for the OS. I mean that if I can NOT use my scanner in Linux, I start windows. If the program is not in Windows, I start Linux
utiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-02, 12:30 PM   #31
druga runda
Zeus Gromovnik

Default Interesting

I hope soon I will get some time to try Linux out. However as I haven't used it - I still have the opinion why it is not big yet.

1. Not all programs run on Linux, and if it got proper support from developers of software and hardware - like getting the drivers out at the same time as MS - MS would roast long-term

2. Not all programs run on Linux once again - and most importantly GAMES - for other programs you have choice but if a game that you want to play doesn't run well you have to find the platform on which it will run

I for once could/should be able to install it on my PC, I believe that using e-mail, open office, and basic business apps should be very easy. I think that gaming with most games is very hard to configure (if you need to use emulators etc). I am not sure if all the hardware in my box will have adequate Linux drivers. If I will use games than it will have to be just the ones that are configured nativley for Linux.

So these are my problems, and from reading here it seems that ALSO if something goes wrong you actually need to know what went wrong and you will find the way to fix it. While this sounds great to me, it seems that to many people that could pose problems as they don't want to bother with the system at all as they don't have interest/time/knowledge - if the problem stays after reboot, and there is no revert to last stable config deal and similar.

So it seems to me even if the system is very professional and needs user knowledge to configure it (as if Win does not need it) it can probably be configured in that way that users don't need to do a thing if they leave the hardware installed intact and that it can keep on running forever like that.

But the bigger problem is to get the developer support behind the platform, when Linux drivers start coming out at the same time as MS Windows, for hardware, and when games and other software are configured to run on it from the beginning. Well than we are finally nearing the holy grail of getting rid of MS monopoly in the OS market. As surely something that is free and is at least as functional as Windows will beat it hands down over long term on price alone.

This is my half-educated guess, but I will surely give it a try sometime. Well the biggest next obstacle must be MSFT influence and marketing power but hopefully good prices - free- and good voice from the enthusiast community can get over that one.
druga runda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-02, 01:25 PM   #32
sebazve

The only reason it is because M$ is the king of Marketting and somehow they convinced people to support their OS. Games developers only makes game for Windows beacause most people have it.
Back in the days of Win 3.1, IBM had OS/2 which already was a 32 bits OS but M$ talked only **** about OS/2 and OS/2 could never took off (although OS/2 found some market) but not as near as Windows 3.1. So at the end we stuck with that ****ty 16 bits OS (that in fact win 3.1 is not even a OS, so i should say we stuck with DOS, puag!!!!) that sucked so much that it made me wanna vomit (still does)
Then M$ released Win 95 which according to little Bill it was a true 32 bits OS (yeah right in your dreams). I would say that their first true 32 bits OS was Windows 3.51 after you installed their 12 service packs and then NT 4.0 in my opnion their most stable OS that for some reason (well we know the reason: MONEY) they wont to cut down its support upgrade at least to Win2000 or next year to Windows .NET.
sebazve is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-02, 03:51 PM   #33
The Baron

OS/2 died because MS released Win95 right after OS/2 Warp 3.0 (I think) came out, and one of OS/2's big selling feature was compatibility with Windows apps. Well, goodbye compatibility with Windows apps...

But yeah, OS/2 sucked too.
Old 09-02-02, 03:58 PM   #34
PCarr78

Listen.

XP sucks, so lets not even consider it.

Take Win2k for WORKSTATION APPLICATIONS.

What is wrong with it?

It's stable (9 months without rebooting! That's great! and NEVER those illegal operations one gets every 10-15 minutes with win98)

It's easy to use. (Not AOL n00b easy. Just simple to configure. and I love the mmc)

It's fast. (Not bloated at all! Seriously, it's superfast!)

Installation is a breeze. (Wanna parttition/format a drive? ok, no prob. With lunix? Ah **** that! It's so god damned difficult for no apparent reason! Filesystems are nice and all, but jesus christ, ive never seen a more user-UNfriendly partitionning scheme!)

The console is good to have, i'll admit. But knowing how to use it SHOULDN'T BE REQUIRED for normal use, fer chrissakes.
PCarr78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-02, 03:58 PM   #35
sebazve

Quote:
Originally posted by =SSC=The Baron
OS/2 died because MS released Win95 right after OS/2 Warp 3.0 (I think) came out, and one of OS/2's big selling feature was compatibility with Windows apps. Well, goodbye compatibility with Windows apps...

But yeah, OS/2 sucked too.
But there was already a OS/2 in the days of win 3.1 that was a real multitasking..bla..bla OS

I tried it i must say it did suck a bit but not as much as win95
Old 09-02-02, 03:59 PM   #36
PCarr78

Quote:
Originally posted by sebazve
The only reason it is because M$ is the king of Marketting and somehow they convinced people to support their OS. Games developers only makes game for Windows beacause most people have it.
Back in the days of Win 3.1, IBM had OS/2 which already was a 32 bits OS but M$ talked only **** about OS/2 and OS/2 could never took off (although OS/2 found some market) but not as near as Windows 3.1. So at the end we stuck with that ****ty 16 bits OS (that in fact win 3.1 is not even a OS, so i should say we stuck with DOS, puag!!!!) that sucked so much that it made me wanna vomit (still does)
Then M$ released Win 95 which according to little Bill it was a true 32 bits OS (yeah right in your dreams). I would say that their first true 32 bits OS was Windows 3.51 after you installed their 12 service packs and then NT 4.0 in my opnion their most stable OS that for some reason (well we know the reason: MONEY) they wont to cut down its support upgrade at least to Win2000 or next year to Windows .NET.
You ever read MS's Chicago beta guide?

They came in with all the right intentions, just a terrible execution.

The NTx os line is fantastic, imo.
PCarr78 is offline   Reply With Quote