Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-22-05, 09:45 PM   #97
Jocomp10

Default Re: Splinter Cell Chaos Theory Single Player Demo Coming soon..

Man the demo is great this has got to be the best use of sm3 in a game yet.
VID: XFX Geforce 7900GT @ 560/1700
Jocomp10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-05, 11:55 PM   #98
fivefeet8
Ngemu Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide
Good God... I can't believe that they chose to neglect SM2. I understand that porting it back from 3 would be difficult but they just upset a lot of people by doing this. And that to me is the bottom line. I can already hear the conspiracy theories regarding this.
The way Demirug made it sound, it seems that if they did code around the SM2 limitations, it would pretty much make all SM2 cards below a x800xt unplayable with what they were trying to do. Of course who really knows since they didn't even try. But in all honesty, it is their game and they can decide if they want to code around SM2 limitions or not. Much like how valve decided to scrap the Partial Precision path in HL2.
[i7 2600k @4.4ghertz][2x4 GB DDR3 1600][EVGA GTX570 1.280GB SC][EVGA GTX460 physx][Asrock Extreme7 Gen3 Z68][2xSeagate 160 Gb SATA HD raid0][Seagate 250 GB SATA2 HD][Sony Bravia 40' 1080p LCD HDTV][NEC 3520a DVD+-DLw][Windows 7 Ultimate x64][Rosewill 1000w]
fivefeet8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-05, 12:51 AM   #99
Riptide

Yeah I've been reading a little bit about this over on EB and it seems questionable whether it's really that big of a deal. Hell new cards are on the way and by the time we get well into summer ATI will probably have an SM3 part out that will run the game faster than current hardware.

And from what I've seen of the screenshots... To me the 1.1 path looks pretty good. I agree the 3.0 screens look better overall but there are still some instances where HDR looks a bit overdone IMO. Plus running the SM3 path with all the goodies turned on pretty much destroys performance to the point I wouldnt' even be able to play at my favorite resolution even if I had a 6800U. Nah, better to wait for a newer card.

This is one of the very few games out there for which SLI might actually come in handy.
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-05, 02:45 AM   #100
LT.Schaffer
Praise The Lord!

Awesome Demo! Can't Wait For The Full Game With COOP!!!
Ran Great With SM3.0 All Settings High
I Really Liked Throwing That Guy Off The Light House Walkway

Intel Q9650|Asus P5Q Pro Turbo|GTX 480|CM 690 II Advanced|Corsair Dominator 4GB|LG LE3500 32"|X-FI|Intel 80GB SSD|Win 7 64Bit
Nvidia Driver:310.70 WHQL

Dedicated LAN Coop Server
Intel Core 2 Duo E8500|Asus P5B Deluxe|BFG GTX 285|Antec 900|Kingston HyperX 2GB|Viewsonic VX2255WMB 22"|Win 7 32Bit

GOD BLESS AMERICA

I Proudly Support Our Troops

Current Game:Elder Scrolls V Skyrim
LT.Schaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-05, 03:16 AM   #101
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

Ok I can't wait any longer for this. I have the demo downloaded and gonna play it tommorrow on the machine at work... can't wait
Old 02-23-05, 03:40 AM   #102
pat777
NV420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide
Yeah I've been reading a little bit about this over on EB and it seems questionable whether it's really that big of a deal. Hell new cards are on the way and by the time we get well into summer ATI will probably have an SM3 part out that will run the game faster than current hardware.

And from what I've seen of the screenshots... To me the 1.1 path looks pretty good. I agree the 3.0 screens look better overall but there are still some instances where HDR looks a bit overdone IMO. Plus running the SM3 path with all the goodies turned on pretty much destroys performance to the point I wouldnt' even be able to play at my favorite resolution even if I had a 6800U. Nah, better to wait for a newer card.

This is one of the very few games out there for which SLI might actually come in handy.
HDR is the only thing that I can see that looks better than sm 1.1. I can't see any other difference. There might be more differences in the full game, but I doubt it.

Edit: Parallax mapping looks better in some areas.

Last edited by pat777; 02-23-05 at 03:56 AM.
pat777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-05, 04:33 AM   #103
Knot3D

^ Well, imo they don't have to make the game more goodlooking ; they HAVE to improve performance for SM.3.0 HDR !

I hope the final code will run at least a 10 frames p/sec better minimum framerate. If they can't get the base minimum framerate on my rig (see sig) at 35 fps, then CT SM3.0 won't be half as a convincing argument over SM2.0(b) as it should be ( eh, Nvidia !? )

Gee, I sure do hope Ubi's optimizing the code for final release
Old 02-23-05, 07:20 AM   #104
brady
I'm like everyone else.

just wanted to get my 2 pennies in...

this game is beautiful. its very playable at 10x7 hdr sm30 everything on high on my machine. it looks even better at that res when i play it on my tv. imo this game was meant for a controller. im playing it with an xbox controller and it works flawlessly.

the p mapping looks great and its good to finally see it working in an action game. weve been hearing about it for so long...far cry.

this demo has gotten me all excited about the future of pc gaming.

of course at the same time im bummed cuz i know those games are going to require a pretty hefty upgrade.

C2D @ 3.0GHz | GA-P35-DS3L | 4GB DDR2 | HIS AMD 6990 4GB | OS X Lion 10.7 | Windows 7 Ultimate x64
brady is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-05, 07:36 AM   #105
Morrow
Atari STE 4-bit color

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat777
HDR is the only thing that I can see that looks better than sm 1.1. I can't see any other difference. There might be more differences in the full game, but I doubt it.

Edit: Parallax mapping looks better in some areas.
The high quality soft shadows also look way better in the SM3.0 path. Same thing for several shaders like the rain dropping on the stones and Fisher's costume when outside which is not visible in the SM1.1 version.

HDR is in my opinion masterfully integrated, their are several places where the contrast between brightly lit places and dark areas on the same screens just looks amazing. Without HDR the same spot looks less exciting with much less contrast in the colors.
Morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-05, 07:41 AM   #106
Morrow
Atari STE 4-bit color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knot3D
^ Well, imo they don't have to make the game more goodlooking ; they HAVE to improve performance for SM.3.0 HDR !

I hope the final code will run at least a 10 frames p/sec better minimum framerate. If they can't get the base minimum framerate on my rig (see sig) at 35 fps, then CT SM3.0 won't be half as a convincing argument over SM2.0(b) as it should be ( eh, Nvidia !? )

Gee, I sure do hope Ubi's optimizing the code for final release
This demo is already based on pre-final code. No major changes will be done for full game except some bugfixes.

The only thing which again kills performance here is HDR, not SM3.0.

High quality SM3.0 without HDR is actually faster than the SM1.1 on my 6800U. With HDR enabled the fps drop by ~40% which is normal for FP16 precision per color channel. Nevertheless I will never disable HDR in this game because SCCT just looks way better with high dynamic range lighting.
Old 02-23-05, 07:45 AM   #107
Morrow
Atari STE 4-bit color

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady
the p mapping looks great and its good to finally see it working in an action game. weve been hearing about it for so long...far cry
I have to agree, parallax mapping looks great in the few places where it has been implemented in SCCT. Nice addition to the engine.

Actually this has to be one of the most advanced graphics engine on the market currently. I would even dare to say that "most" aspects of the SCCT engine are even more advanced than what the source engine of D3 engine has to offer.
Old 02-23-05, 08:13 AM   #108
Knot3D

Yesterday I saw this guy at some HL2 forums bash CT's graphics : He said Ubi went way over the top with the 'plastic' shinyness and the ahhum 'bumpmapping'

what an ignorant f00l He only likes HL2 style i guess.