Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-17-05, 12:30 PM   #1
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

Exclamation Duke Nukem Forever... Online Delivery System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Miller
"Games xStream is the first and only online delivery platform that can satisfy a gamer's desire to buy a game on impulse and start playing minutes later, regardless of the size or complexity of the game. 3D Realms is extremely excited by this ground breaking technology, and we plan to use it to sell our future releases"

http://www.gamexstream.com/
Old 02-17-05, 12:42 PM   #2
|MaguS|

Default Re: Duke Nukem Forever... Online Delivery System

Now we know whats taking them so long... they are copying steam!
Old 02-17-05, 12:57 PM   #3
|JuiceZ|

Send a message via Skype™ to |JuiceZ|

Quote:
Originally Posted by egbtmagus
Now we know whats taking them so long... they are copying steam!
HAHAHAH!
hometheater KURO PDP-5020 | Marantz SR6005 | Definitive BP7001s, CLR3000, BPVXPs
|JuiceZ| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-05, 01:14 PM   #4
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Man, I hope this online delivery catches on. Then publishers can be eliminated from the picture and developers can actually start making good games again.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-05, 02:50 PM   #5
GamerGuyX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaman09
Man, I hope this online delivery catches on. Then publishers can be eliminated from the picture and developers can actually start making good games again.
I absolutely hate services like Steam. Although you do make a good point.

[url="http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_list.php?s=&t=35216"]Folding for Team# 35216 : NvNews + OSNN + SP[/URL]
GamerGuyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-05, 03:13 PM   #6
msxyz
Hybrid Microprocessor

So for every new game that will come out, I'll have to install some sort of TSR utility that eats up megabytes of RAM, thousands of CPU cyles and decide for ME when it's time to install an upgrade, a patch or even if I'm entitled to play ?

Meh, after the Steam experience I'm going to boicott any form of digital content distribution. We already have a good digital content distribution platform: it's Torrent and all the developers would have to do is implement a simple "master server" check in their games.
XFX 9600GSO 384MB
Little freak wonder
msxyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-05, 03:47 PM   #7
nVidi0t
Quad Damage

Send a message via ICQ to nVidi0t

Well, Steam doesnt seem so bad for me now, initially it had me to the point of burning my HL2 DVD, but there are advantages to the system which I can appreciate.
System: Intel Core 2 e6600 @ 3.6ghz (450*8) @ 1.475v | Koolance Exos 2 Water Cooler | 4096Mb Mushkin ASCENT 8500 @ 2.1v @ 1160Mhz| Asus P5k Deluxe P35 'bearlake' 804bios | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 850W| BFG 8800GT OC2 675Mhz | 150GB WD Raptor X | Seagate Barracuda 250GB SATA | Lian Li V2000 PC2 Case | Pioneer DL Burner | Creative Sound Blaster X-FI FATAL1TY FPS | Dell 2707WFP 27" LCD | Windows Vista Ultimate | Sennheiser HD-590 Prestige/Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones w/ Emmeline Hornet Amp | Razer Deathadder | Razer tarantula Keyboard |
nVidi0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-05, 03:56 PM   #8
Fatman

Send a message via ICQ to Fatman Send a message via AIM to Fatman

Quote:
Originally Posted by msxyz
So for every new game that will come out, I'll have to install some sort of TSR utility that eats up megabytes of RAM, thousands of CPU cyles and decide for ME when it's time to install an upgrade, a patch or even if I'm entitled to play ?

Meh, after the Steam experience I'm going to boicott any form of digital content distribution. We already have a good digital content distribution platform: it's Torrent and all the developers would have to do is implement a simple "master server" check in their games.
MEGABYTES OF RAM!!! Holy crap, how is my system going to handle such a load? Get real man, any self respecting gamer today will have at least a gig of ram, half a decent cpu and broadband connection.

I tell ya, having developers being independant of publishers will work both ways, and will benefit devs, as well as us gamers.

Would you rather put up with screwed up copy protecton schemes that publishers force on devs? Rushed products and dead support for released games because publisher dictates the budget and time schedules?

You loose som you win some, with online distos devs and gamers win, publishers loose. Good enough for me.

Mobile Rig: Inspiron 8600 - Pentium M 2.0GHz - 1GB PC2700 - ATI Radeom Mobility 9600 128MB - Hitachi 60GB 7200RPM HDD
- 8X CD-RW/DVD-ROM Drive - 15.4" WXGA Wide Display
Fatman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-05, 04:11 PM   #9
Zelda_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaman09
That is a good point, but I really really really hate steam. There needs to be a better more reliable alternative.
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-05, 04:13 PM   #10
SH64
MAXIMUM TECH

The idea of ODS alone looks great as long as it dosen't involve Steam authorization & protection system .
i'm willing to get a faster connection & start using that ODS as a primary way to get my games the day they become available rather than waiting weeks until its available in local stores where i live .

- "My name is RAM and my tank is full"

http://warhawk64nv.mybrute.com/ <-- pupils go thaarrr! Or,
http://silenthunter64.mybrute.com
SH64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-05, 04:48 PM   #11
superklye

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonk
That is a good point, but I really really really hate steam. There needs to be a better more reliable alternative.
They could do what www.easytree.org does...you have to be a member of their site in order to get and use their torrents.

"Big deal," you say? "I could just get the torrent from one of my friends," you say? But see, that's the beauty of it: they personalize the torrents so that the only person that can use them is the one whose username is tied to the torrent.

There could very well be a work-around to cheat the system, but you would still have to be a member of the site in order to get on the tracker, so I guess that companies could use this system, make you pay to join the site/tracker and you could download the game ONCE (I'm sure they could track that somehow) and then after that, you couldn't let a friend use your username/torrent to get the game as well.

Or even if you could, they could do a thing like Steam that requires you to log in and then only one instance of the name could be playing at once.
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-05, 12:02 AM   #12
WeReWoLf

Send a message via MSN to WeReWoLf

But that would require a program of some sort to control the game. When you log on, it would send info to the master server, allowing you to play. This program would be pointlessly eating up precious resources.
WeReWoLf is offline   Reply With Quote