Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-18-05, 12:28 AM   #13
killahsin

Default Re: Duke Nukem Forever... Online Delivery System

This isn't very surprising as Scott has talked about the possibilities in steam quite a few times now. What I do find surprising is that when he discussed it, he always discussed it in a manner of multiple developers using it. Not the style of its technology but the steam technology itself. I never in a million years though he would be pulling out his hat this. I wonder if valves legal problems w/ vivendi may have had somthing to do with stopping him from using steam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaman09
Man, I hope this online delivery catches on. Then publishers can be eliminated from the picture and developers can actually start making good games again.
3DR is a developer publisher combination. So yes and no. 3DR isn't an evil styled publisher like edios or vivendi or even *shudder* what activision is seeming to become. Who ever thought activision would slowly start to follow the edios mentallity of killing off developers in hopes of swallowing their design teams for cheap money.
killahsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-05, 12:49 AM   #14
Slyder
AMD + Nv = pro gaming rig

Not to worried about this to be honest. Steam was ment to stop piracy a hell of alot but I have the retail version and a full on no steam required version of Half Life 2 (both are exactly the same btw). I expect DNF will be stripped of rubbish like HL2 was and made to be played "really" offline.
Maxtor 6Y080L0 7200rpm 80 gig DiamondMax Plus 9 HDD
Gigabyte Dual 6600GT SLI Enabled
CTX VL701B 17ins CRT 0.27dpi 72khz MPRII Black
Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS
BenQ DW1655 LS DVD-Rewriter with BCDB f/w (ohh yes, get on)
LiteOn 48246S CD writer with SS0E f/w
NTL 10 meg cable connection thru Ambit 250 modem. Ethernet connected
Linksys BEFSR41 v3 router with 1.05.00 f/w
Enermax 535 watts SLI-Ready PSU
XP pro with SP2
Playing multiplayer games online and lan enabled untill the day we die.

What I think of the word Blog
Slyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-05, 01:43 AM   #15
EciDemon

Send a message via ICQ to EciDemon

I don't mind buying my games online, Infact I like that idea. But Steam ? naw.
Ive been watching steam from time to time and some times it's taken more then 30mb ram. It's no biggie, I have 1gb ram. But what if all my games insists of having something like steam in the background at all times ? ... 10 games ... thats 300mb wasted on nothing but idle apps.

So steam is good, it will keep track of updates for your. Why not just add that feature to everytime you launch the game in online mode ?

I some times do have alot of games installed at the same time, I dont think that's very uncommon with the large HDDs available now days.
I do not want 10x steam apps running just to play my games.

Now, if all games were to use _one_ such app as steam, That I could accept.
EciDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-05, 02:23 AM   #16
msxyz
Hybrid Microprocessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatman
MEGABYTES OF RAM!!! Holy crap, how is my system going to handle such a load? Get real man, any self respecting gamer today will have at least a gig of ram, half a decent cpu and broadband connection.
28 Megabytes is still an INDECENT amount of memory for a simple control panel. Yet, that's what the system manager reports.

It's matter of principle. The fact that I have 1 GB of RAM does not mean that I like to see it wasted with piss-poor programmed apps. The day you accept this and tomorrow you'll need to upgrade your system not because it's obsolete but because someone in the industry made you believe so. I'm usually very careful about what I install and how I configure my PC. Until a couple of months ago I had a P3 1.33 GHz that somehow it managed to beat many of my friends' newer PCs when it came down to loading times and even fps in many modern games. But there was no voodoo magic involved. The "secret" is only careful installation and removal of unenecssary, redundant or stupid piece of software that clutters our machines.
XFX 9600GSO 384MB
Little freak wonder
msxyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-05, 08:59 AM   #17
Fatman

Send a message via ICQ to Fatman Send a message via AIM to Fatman

Yea 28MB of ram, what if it was 280? Why do you care how much ram it eats up as long as it doesn't affect your game pwerformance? You don't play more than one game at a time, so what's the big deal?

Mobile Rig: Inspiron 8600 - Pentium M 2.0GHz - 1GB PC2700 - ATI Radeom Mobility 9600 128MB - Hitachi 60GB 7200RPM HDD
- 8X CD-RW/DVD-ROM Drive - 15.4" WXGA Wide Display
Fatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-05, 08:59 AM   #18
zoomy942

Send a message via AIM to zoomy942 Send a message via MSN to zoomy942

Quote:
Originally Posted by msxyz
28 Megabytes is still an INDECENT amount of memory for a simple control panel. Yet, that's what the system manager reports.

It's matter of principle. The fact that I have 1 GB of RAM does not mean that I like to see it wasted with piss-poor programmed apps. The day you accept this and tomorrow you'll need to upgrade your system not because it's obsolete but because someone in the industry made you believe so. I'm usually very careful about what I install and how I configure my PC. Until a couple of months ago I had a P3 1.33 GHz that somehow it managed to beat many of my friends' newer PCs when it came down to loading times and even fps in many modern games. But there was no voodoo magic involved. The "secret" is only careful installation and removal of unenecssary, redundant or stupid piece of software that clutters our machines.
i agree with you that it's not about my ram being used, its the principle of the thing. i am very anal as well about what gets loaded and it makes me sad when i see my firnds pc's with 48.7 icons in the system tray.

sure, my pc doesnt sare about a few megs lost to steam, but it shouldnt be needed. or we should be able to remove things we dont want from it. kind of like removing Windows Components. the only screen i need in steam is the play games screen. ALL of those other screens are worthless, and i should be allowed to remove them to save some RAM
zoomy942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-05, 11:13 AM   #19
Rakeesh

They should add an option that makes the steam client terminate when you are finished playing your game. Also, I am sick of seeing games that I don't even own always being listed first, that is really gay. Steam has spammed me numerous times to buy games that I really could give a rats ass about.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-05, 02:31 AM   #20
Q

Steam likes to jump to 50 megs on my machine after playing HL2. Out of my one gig, thats 5%. If I had only 512megs, that would be 10% of my ram.

This is ONE game I bought, wanting this much memory is rediculous. Steam is good in principle, I agree, but it is very far from proper execution.

I personally stop unneededed services and programs from starting so i can get the most out of my system. I've put a lot of cash into my system and worthless memory chugging apps like this reduce my performance, oh so insignificantly, but still....its like I wasted 5% of the money I used to buy my memory with.

It does add up.
Q is offline   Reply With Quote