Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-24-05, 07:04 AM   #61
Ghosthunter

Default Re: PSP Battery life extended to 25 hours!

people keep making mistakes and comparing DS to PSP...they are two different markets. Yes they are handhelds, but the PSP is for the elites, while the GBA SP/DS is for mainstream. That is the huge difference right there.

The PSP is not just a gaming system as everyone who loves PSP keeps pointing out..while DS and GBA SP just play games.

GBA SP is still going to be a huge seller and will keep selling becuase of the price point, very small, and very portable, even more so then the DS. Personally I prefer the size of the GBA SP over the DS, but I really wanted the DS and do love it. But for your average person who plays handhelds, which is anywhere from kids, to business people, to elderly, GBA SP is perfect because of price point of the system and as well as the price of games.

The target market for GBA is much broader and bigger, and that is why in the end PSP will not be able to keep up. Not only that but the DS already can play the entire library of GBA games, plus they are still developing GBA games until the next evolution comes out. If they were to stop making games for GBA and only focus on DS, that would be a really bad move but luckily Nintendo is way smarter then that.
G.Skill 16 GB Ram DDR3-1600
EVGA GTX 680 SC
Crucial M4 128 GB SSD
2x Samsung 1 TB Spinpoint 7200 RPM SATA HD103SJ
WD SE16 7200 RPM SATA 640 GB
SAMSUNG 22X SATA DVD Burner
CORSAIR 750TX PSU
LIAN LI Lancool PC-K7B
Asus 25 inch VE258Q
Win7x64
Ghosthunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-05, 07:22 AM   #62
|MaguS|

If the GBA/DS just play games then why is Nintendo making a Movie Adapter for them? Sorry but they are in the same market even if Nintendo wont acknowledge it.

People are counting Sony out because they have no experiance in the handheld market and don't think they can catch up or beat big brother nintendo since they have been in the game for so long. Well rememeber the playstation? That was Sony's first console and they took BOTH Sega and Nintedo on who the console industry was based on and DESTROYED THEM.

Sony has the 3rd Party support for the PSP, more then Nintendo has for the DS. Its only a matter of time. The PSP is already leading the DS in the new year in sales (not total sales but sales sold since Jan 1st).
Old 02-24-05, 07:44 AM   #63
Ghosthunter

I dont know anything about the movie adapter....but what I like about it is that it is an optional Add-On...that means if i dont want it I dont have to waste the money on it...which is what I would have liked to see PSP.

Like I said several times cannot compare handheld market to console...target audiences are totally different. There are more people who are not die hard gamers who own a GBA SP, and dont even own a console

Now if Sony would release their PSP at a price of $150 and games were around $34.99, I would say they have a heck lot better chance to capture the target mainstream audience who would not otherwise spend that much..in fact most think $150 is too much for a handheld that just plays game, thus why the GBA SP has sold 28 million...more then any console
EVGA GTX 680 SC
Crucial M4 128 GB SSD
CORSAIR 750TX PSU
LIAN LI Lancool PC-K7B
Asus 25 inch VE258Q
Win7x64
Old 02-24-05, 08:33 AM   #64
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosthunter
Like I said several times cannot compare handheld market to console...target audiences are totally different. There are more people who are not die hard gamers who own a GBA SP, and dont even own a console

thus why the GBA SP has sold 28 million...more then any console
Yes its an optional addon but why even care to make one if the system is ONLY made to play games like you stated, I mean people would choose it over the PSP obviously because its a gaming system and not an entertainment unit like the PSP right? Sorry, Nintendo knows people want multi-function devices, why do you think they added many non game features into the DS...

PSP != Console or is it ment to be aimed at the console market (why would Sony want to make another system to compete with the PS2?), I don't know where you got that idea...

Second, the best selling console is the PSX, which broke the record set by the NES. Both are over 100 million...

The PSP can be called an Executive Handheld, in the beginning on the ones with the extra money will have them but trust me, it will still compete with the DS in sales. To even compare the GBA in sales is just stupid since IT HAD NO COMPITITION. You can compare the Console market in sales (PS2 vs Xbox vs GCube) but not a handheld system that was the only option availabe to anyone who wanted to travel and play games....

Nitendo never had any good compitition in the Handheld market, all previous handhelds before the PSP were suffering from one major factor, Lack of Software Support. Sony knows this and you can already see the large support they have gathered to make sure the PSP doesn't go the way of the GameGear or NeoPocket. Saddly while the DS has some decent titles releasing, Its making the same mistake as the previous systems, is it to fault of Sony stealing its thunder? No Its because Nintendo is full of egomaninacs who think they are the king of the world and cant be dethrowned... would have thought they would have learned some from thier past mistakes.

And if you don't think the DS is losing speed, look at the amount of titles announced for each system, ignore if you like them or not. Sony has gained much more support from 3rd party developers even when it has yet to prove if it can compete in this new market.
Old 02-24-05, 08:47 AM   #65
Ghosthunter

You keep comparing DS to PSP...see I still play GBA games...I play both...

I really am not expecting DS to be as big as a seller..it is meant to just hold us over until GBE...

Maybe PSP will eventually outsell the DS..that doesnt matter..becuase I doubt it will ever outsell the combo of DS/GBA

Well software support is all good and dandy...but so far what i seen most of the games on PSP have no interest for myself and many others who enjoy the nintendo games. I can careless about FPS...I think FPS suck on consoles..and worst even on handhelds..FPS are meant for PC's alone that it. Only thing atm IMO PSP Is good for if you are into sports...that about it.

For me I am looking forward to the following DS games:

New Super Mario
New Castlevenia
New Metroid
New Zelda
Final Fantasy

Those alone are worth justificaiton for myself for a DS, but that just me.

P.S. When I was referring to GBA sales vs PS2..I was referring to consoles and handhelds that actually matter and still in production and still have software being developed for them.
EVGA GTX 680 SC
Crucial M4 128 GB SSD
CORSAIR 750TX PSU
LIAN LI Lancool PC-K7B
Asus 25 inch VE258Q
Win7x64
Old 02-24-05, 09:12 AM   #66
|MaguS|

So the PSX is still in production and it still has games being made for it... And it still doesn't make sence that you compare the GBA to PS2 in sales, its actually STUPID.

You keep stating opinion rather then facts. So you don't like the launch titles of the PSP great for you many people do, but the matter of the fact remains that the PSP in the new year is already leading the DS AND GBA in sales. I don't care how many they sold in total, just from Jan 1st the PSP is the number one selling handheld. Look again at the link Bad Boy posted Link, You can clearly see that even with the GBA's support both the GBA and the DS fall behind the PSP.

I glad enjoy your system, but I wouldn't have purchased a new $150 system so I can play obsolete games on it while I wait months for the good titles to release for the new system. I buy a system so I can play ITS software on it, not a previous generations titles to hold me over...
Old 02-24-05, 09:22 AM   #67
Ghosthunter

Your looking at Japan results...big deal..doesnt mean a thing. Sony Clie is still selling strong in Japan, while in US has been discontinued. Also dont forget the standard PSP is much cheaper in Japan then our US version going to be..and since it not much more expensive then a DS that can be the difference right there.

PSX is still in production? really they are still making brand new games for it? I looked at gamespot and dont see any new reviews for PSX. Maybe I am missing something.
EVGA GTX 680 SC
Crucial M4 128 GB SSD
CORSAIR 750TX PSU
LIAN LI Lancool PC-K7B
Asus 25 inch VE258Q
Win7x64
Old 02-24-05, 09:30 AM   #68
|MaguS|

The Japanese market is a big thing, just saying that shows your ignorance. Look at how the Xbox lacks in many software genres because it FAILED IN JAPAN. Look how long the Saturn and Dreamcast was able to last even with poor sales in the states yet having huge support in JAPAN.

Sony and Nintendo are JAPANESE, if the system doesn't sell well in Japan well then it shows alot since they mainly design the system for thier home territory and then adapt it to ours.

Just because they dont review a title doesn't mean it doesn't get released.

Quote:
Madden NFL 2005
FIFA Soccer 2005
MLB 2005
Hellboy: Asylum Seeker
NFL GameDay 2005
The Cat in the Hat
Driver Compilation
Creatures: Raised in Space
Extreme Ghostbusters: The Ultimate Invasion
Dance: UK eXtra Trax
The Three Stooges
Super Duper Sumos
Disney's Collector's Bundle
They might not be good but it still shows that there is still some sort of market left in the system.

As for Japanese sales... well thats the only thing we can compare right now since the PSP has yet to release in the states.

Old 02-24-05, 09:37 AM   #69
Ghosthunter

LOL well if you still consider that in production..by all means
EVGA GTX 680 SC
Crucial M4 128 GB SSD
CORSAIR 750TX PSU
LIAN LI Lancool PC-K7B
Asus 25 inch VE258Q
Win7x64
Old 02-24-05, 07:05 PM   #70
Vagrant Zero
I'm a Back Door Man

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosthunter
Now if Sony would release their PSP at a price of $150 and games were around $34.99, I would say they have a heck lot better chance to capture the target mainstream audience who would not otherwise spend that much..in fact most think $150 is too much for a handheld that just plays game, thus why the GBA SP has sold 28 million...more then any console
Someone's off in lalal land again. The PS2 has sold over 80 million units. And the GBA has sold more than 28 million, don't know the exact figure but it's less than the ps2.
Vagrant Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-05, 09:09 PM   #71
Bad_Boy
god of war.

Send a message via AIM to Bad_Boy

no offence but to get back on topic...
http://gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=801938
i wonder how much that boosts the battery on the psp.
Old 02-25-05, 11:20 AM   #72
0rk.p0rk

It's things like this that make me glad I'm getting a DS.
0rk.p0rk is offline   Reply With Quote