Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-18-05, 07:32 PM   #1
Rakeesh

Default Black Mesa: Source

Not sure if this has been mentioned here before as this is already old news, but those of you who wanted to play Half Life: Source (and probably didn't buy the silver, gold, or CE packages of HL2 either) but couldn't are in for something much better:

http://www.blackmesasource.com/

Quote:
Black Mesa: Source is a Half-Life 2 modification intent upon recreating Half-Life 1 on the Source Engine. Now before you all flame back saying 'It's already been done: Half-Life: Source Fool!', let me just say that we fully understand and know that Half-Life: Source is an actual game out there with Half-Life 1 on the Half-Life 2 engine. But we're not here to give you another Half-Life: Source, we're here to give you something far more impressive: Black Mesa: Source. We are not a group of the most talented people in the development industry, but what we are is a group of dedicated and die-hard fans of Half-Life 1 that want to see it shine on Source. We plan to do this in many ways:

--Reconstructing levels based upon the originals in order to bring you the same facility with a new look and feel.
--Complete redo of the Half-Life 1 enemies, allies and weapons in order to give you an immersive and impressive experience unlike any other before or after it.
--Completely re-worked textures with bump & normal mapping along with new 'texture baking' techniques to make the walls and other brushes "come-alive".
--Compiling new ambient sounds including radio chatter, gunfire, explosions and other dynamic sounds critical to the Half-Life 1 experience.
--Enhance the Marine and Enemy AI to make them more fierce and as impressive as they were to audiences in 1998.
--Working diligently in order to effectively tie the Half-Life 1 and Half-Life 2 storylines together without altering the fabric that made Half-Life 1 so great.
--Enhancing many other aspects of Half-Life that were just simply impossible on the 1998 Engine.
Best of all, it will be free. The team working on this project seems to be mostly assembled, though they are looking for a few extra coders still. The status page can be found here:

http://mods.moddb.com/4384/

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Last edited by Rakeesh; 02-18-05 at 07:55 PM.
Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-05, 08:36 PM   #2
jolle

Default Re: Black Mesa: Source

Quote:
new 'texture baking' techniques to make the walls and other brushes "come-alive".
Can you say "light tracer" & "Render to texture" in 3dstudio max?
(hehe, Im acctually rendering a scene with the lighttracer as im typing this)

Anyhow, sounds cool, the HL:Source isnt a very hot potato as it is...
Lets hope Valve dont take offence, as they plan to redo their game with all that it entails.. dunno if there could be any legal issues with that, wouldnt suprise me tho..
Old 02-18-05, 09:25 PM   #3
Rakeesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolle
Lets hope Valve dont take offence, as they plan to redo their game with all that it entails.. dunno if there could be any legal issues with that, wouldnt suprise me tho..
Are you saying that valve plans to redo the game aside from the existing HL:S? Or are you talking about the leakfree (BM:S) development team?

From what I understand, valve was saying that they think that it is inevitable for a community remake of the original HL1 for source.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Old 02-18-05, 09:33 PM   #4
jolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf_HK
Are you saying that valve plans to redo the game aside from the existing HL:S? Or are you talking about the leakfree (BM:S) development team?

From what I understand, valve was saying that they think that it is inevitable for a community remake of the original HL1 for source.
Lol that sounded all wrong when I read it again.. what i wrote..
No I meant the mod team, that they are redoing HL1 (not valve).
So valve is all for it then? great stuff.
Old 02-18-05, 11:18 PM   #5
XP_GUN

I hope it turns out great cant wait to see some screens of what they can do.
Old 02-19-05, 01:28 AM   #6
Rakeesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolle
Lol that sounded all wrong when I read it again.. what i wrote..
No I meant the mod team, that they are redoing HL1 (not valve).
So valve is all for it then? great stuff.
Well, valve hasn't addressed this team specifically (in fact valve wont answer their emails about this,) however much much earlier on they mentioned that they anticipated something like this would happen sooner or later. Seeing as valve specifically allows artwork in their games to be used in the mods created for those games, it doesn't seem like it would be illegal either.

Old 02-25-05, 12:41 PM   #7
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

hl:s sucks and is a waste of time if yer looking for a COMPLETE revamping from the original...

as a stand alone game it is fine but they should really remove the Source from its title... very little to see additional cept for some basic effects here and there... oh and the music added is kickass
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote