Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-22-05, 06:55 PM   #13
|MaguS|

Default Re: AA in Halo PC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightFire
Yep, Gearbox ported me to PC a few years ago. My engine's been running fine, but I find myself occaisonally stuttering when confronted with intense action sequences. And currently, my driving mode is off, but I'm hoping to re-implement that when I get the chance.
That sounds so dirty...
Old 02-22-05, 08:53 PM   #14
Vagrant Zero
I'm a Back Door Man

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant Zero

Felt like a pron AAA meeting speech.
Vagrant Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-05, 07:17 AM   #15
jbirney

AA works in Halo (or it did...not sure if they disabled it in a patch), you have to force it and you loose some effects (the camouflage effects comes to mind):

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1354537,00.asp
Quote:
It should be noted that neither anti-aliasing nor anisotropic filtering have any affect on the way Halo looks. Enabling these features will only slow things down a lot. This is because several of the game's cooler effects such as the Predator-like active camouflage and the blurred zoom-in effect for the sniper rifle rely on using render targets and post-processing. The entire scene is rendered to an intermediate buffer (an off-screen Direct3D surface) instead of the video card's back buffer, and then the filter effect is applied before the final frame is copied to the back buffer and projected on your monitor.

According to Shawn Green, Gearbox's lead rendering engineer, it would be possible to use in-game menus to force the game to draw anti-aliased or aniso-filtered frames to that intermediate buffer, but none of the video cards support AA or AF to render targets, so that's not an option for now. In Halo on the PC, the only way to get rid of the jaggies is to pump up the resolution.
So really no ones falt. Just like how you can not have OpenEXR HDR and AA on todays cards....
jbirney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-05, 07:25 AM   #16
brady
I'm like everyone else.

...hmm pretty interesting. with all the wonderfull effects in games today i get kinda spoiled. member when we were just happy with tri linear mip mapping on our old 3dfx cards. wow...those were they days.

C2D @ 3.0GHz | GA-P35-DS3L | 4GB DDR2 | HIS AMD 6990 4GB | OS X Lion 10.7 | Windows 7 Ultimate x64
brady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-05, 08:05 AM   #17
jbirney

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady
...hmm pretty interesting. with all the wonderfull effects in games today i get kinda spoiled. member when we were just happy with tri linear mip mapping on our old 3dfx cards. wow...those were they days.

yeap. I am afraid that we will see this happen from time to time. Some great feature just wont work with older methods like AA/AF until the next gen. I did not mean to reply snotty nor am I a big halo/bungie fan. But I did not think they deserved to be dragged in the mud for lack of AA in Halo. There are other reasons they should get smacked...AA is not one of them
Old 02-23-05, 08:09 AM   #18
ChrisRay

It's nothing like OpenEXR though.. its more of a pbuffer, ((not exactly though since pbuffer is an opengl thing))
|CPU: Intel I7 Lynnfield @ 3.0 Ghz|Mobo:Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer |Memory:8 Gigs DDR3 1333|Video:Geforce GTX 295 Quad SLI|Monitor:Samsung Syncmaster 1680x1080 3D Vision\/Olevia 27 Inch Widescreen HDTV 1920x1080

|CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.5 Ghz|Mobo:Asus M3n HT Deluxe Nforce 780A|Memory: 4 gigs DDR2 800| Video: Geforce GTX 280x2 SLI

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

NVIDIA User Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members
ChrisRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-05, 08:55 AM   #19
Nitz Walsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by egbtmagus
Er, Tony Hawk 3 ran flawlessly on my system when I have a 9800pro,
It's largely CPU limited, not graphics card limited. Unless you have an Athlon 64 or P4EE at the time, no way were you getting 60fps with fog disabled - which is the performance the console versions put out.
Quote:
Nightfires engine was heavily modified the HL engine to where it practically became its own,
Who the hell cares how much it was modified? It was horrible, both in aesthetics and performance, and with the driving sequences removed. Have you actually seen/played the console versions? Obviously not.
Quote:
according to Gearbox and HL for the PS2 was sweet, better graphics then the PC and an extra side story.
ROFL. "According to Gearbox" - what the bloody hell do you think they would say? I've played it. Looked no different than the PC version, but ran like it was on a low-end P2.
Quote:
Blue Shift was just as good as Opposing Forces.
Pass the spliff. Blue Shift was actually never even intended to be an expansion pack, it was ripped out of the cancelled Dreamcast version and sold as a desperate money grab.
Nitz Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-05, 08:56 AM   #20
Nitz Walsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbirney
So really no ones falt. Just like how you can not have OpenEXR HDR and AA on todays cards....
Using OpenGL, the Mac version supports AA - with all effects enabled.
Nitz Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-05, 12:24 PM   #21
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitz Walsh
ROFL. "According to Gearbox" - what the bloody hell do you think they would say? I've played it. Looked no different than the PC version, but ran like it was on a low-end P2.
The PS2 version DID look far better than the PC version. Hell, even the Dreamcast version looked better than the PC version. It wasn't until the HD pack was released with Blue Shift that the PC version was able to match up to the console versions.
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-05, 08:54 AM   #22
jbirney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitz Walsh
Using OpenGL, the Mac version supports AA - with all effects enabled.
Did you even read what ET said?

"The entire scene is rendered to an intermediate buffer (an off-screen Direct3D surface).. "

So I really doubt that at Direct3D surface is used in an opengl game Granted they may have something else...but yea its a different port that does not have the limits that the D3D port had...so...
Old 02-24-05, 06:08 PM   #23
ChrisRay

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbirney
Did you even read what ET said?

"The entire scene is rendered to an intermediate buffer (an off-screen Direct3D surface).. "

So I really doubt that at Direct3D surface is used in an opengl game Granted they may have something else...but yea its a different port that does not have the limits that the D3D port had...so...

OpenGL has something almost exactly similar to RTT Surfaces. Its the pbuffer. They just chose to go a different route for the Mac version.
|CPU: Intel I7 Lynnfield @ 3.0 Ghz|Mobo:Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer |Memory:8 Gigs DDR3 1333|Video:Geforce GTX 295 Quad SLI|Monitor:Samsung Syncmaster 1680x1080 3D Vision\/Olevia 27 Inch Widescreen HDTV 1920x1080

|CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.5 Ghz|Mobo:Asus M3n HT Deluxe Nforce 780A|Memory: 4 gigs DDR2 800| Video: Geforce GTX 280x2 SLI

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

NVIDIA User Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members
ChrisRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-05, 09:09 PM   #24
jbirney

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRay
OpenGL has something almost exactly similar to RTT Surfaces. Its the pbuffer. They just chose to go a different route for the Mac version.
Yeap and thats not really a bad thing at all. Many things are differnet from the ports to a new API. For example in UT2k4 the opengl path still does not allow for rendertotextures features. But meh...