Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-22-05, 04:05 PM   #1
Crawdaddy79

Default nVidia shadow performance question/help.

Hello once again.

I have recently purchased a new ATi Radeon X800 Pro, and the shadow performance of the thing blows, except in Doom 3, Morrowind, and other high profile titles.

If I knew better, I'd probably say that the shadows are rendered completely by the CPU for whatever reason.. be it driver problems or hardware problems.. But there's a big difference in performance when shadows are on or off.

So here's where I request help from you guys.

If you have FRAPS and any of the below listed games, could you please take a screenshot of the framerate with shadows on, and another one with shadows off and post it here (or email it to me)?

Please leave AA off when taking the screenshots.

Here's what I get:

Scrapland:

170 FPS with shadows OFF

63 FPS with shadows ON

Chrome:

97 FPS with shadows OFF

49 FPS with shadows ON

Blade of Darkness:

310 FPS with shadows OFF

168 FPS with shadows ON

Bloodrayne:

236FPS with shadows OFF

129FPS with shadows ON

Enclave.

Not as drastic as the others, but still 25%... I guess it's acceptable.. But I'll post it anyway since I already went through the effort of installing.

201FPS with shadows OFF

152FPS with shadows ON

Trackmania Sunrise Demo

76 FPS with shadows OFF

41 FPS shadows ON

Like I said, from looking at this I don't think that ATI's hardware natively support shadowing and might have to be specially coded for each game of their choosing.

But this is all speculation of course.. nVidia cards might yield similar results.. so I'm very curious to know how much better performance I could get with shadows on with an nVidia card.

I posted a thread like this already at Rage3D but got very limited response from ATi users and NO response from nVidia users (of course).
Crawdaddy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-05, 04:33 PM   #2
SH64
MAXIMUM TECH

Default Re: nVidia shadow performance question/help.

Most of those game are pretty old .. i dont have any of them either .. except for Chrome maybe .
so i dont think they are pretty optimized to take full advantage of the GeForce 6 series like the new ones .
if you like to test the dynamic shadows effects in BloodRayne 2 Demo , i'd be happy to help .

- "My name is RAM and my tank is full"

http://warhawk64nv.mybrute.com/ <-- pupils go thaarrr! Or,
http://silenthunter64.mybrute.com
SH64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-05, 04:48 PM   #3
jolle

I remember Ghost Recon totally tanking with shadows on, when I had my 9700Pro.
not tried it with my 6800GT..
Morrowind didnt slow down alot with shadows like it did on my 9700pro tho..
Tried it with 2x2 SSAA yesterday.. nice.. real nice..
4x4 was a superfunky eyefest but slow, slow and slow..

EDIT
sorry I cant help, dont have any of those..
Old 02-22-05, 05:14 PM   #4
Crawdaddy79

I can't even get the BR2 demo to display shadows.

http://www.crawspace.com/ss/errors/x800brnoshadow.jpg
Old 02-26-05, 08:14 AM   #5
Crawdaddy79

I did another comparison with Scrapland.. Finally it's something to complain about.

106 FPS with Shadows OFF
31 FPS with Shadows ON

There is a demo for this game.. http://www.enlight.com/scrapland/demo.html

And let me edit this statement to show what I've learned the past couple of days:

Quote:
Like I said, from looking at this I don't think that ATI's hardware natively support shadowing and might have to be specially coded for each game of their choosing.
Should say: ATi's hardware probably does not support the shadowing techniques used in these games.. because the drivers are likely not coded for them.
Old 02-26-05, 03:38 PM   #6
SH64
MAXIMUM TECH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy79
Should say: ATi's hardware probably does not support the shadowing techniques used in these games.. because the drivers are likely not coded for them.
Yep .. Splinter Cell 3 demo is an exmaple .

from the readme.txt file :
Quote:
In the advanced video settings, if you are using nVidia 66.93 drivers and you select the Enable Hardware Shadow Mapping option, the shadows will disappear with some NVidia video cards. ATI cards do not support Hardware Shadow Mapping.

- "My name is RAM and my tank is full"

http://warhawk64nv.mybrute.com/ <-- pupils go thaarrr! Or,
http://silenthunter64.mybrute.com
SH64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-05, 04:10 PM   #7
Subtestube
Anisymbolic

Hardware shadow mapping isn't a silver bullet for shadowing. As someone who's actually written shadowing code, I can tell you that shadows just ARE intensive. HW shadow maps are faster than 'software' ones (though that's a little innaccurate), but they tend to look worse (see 3dMark05). If you want shadowing, it's gonna cost you. That said, I'm unsure - nV have put a lot of work into their hardware support for various shadowing algorithms, so they might get a little better shadow performance. Do note however that one of the most common fixes for slowdowns in games is "turn off high quality shadows".
Dr Possible: Core 2 Duo E6400 on Gigabyte GA-965P-DS4. Galaxy GeForce 7600GT. 2GB Corsair XMS 2 DDR2-6400 RAM (CL5). ATi Theatre 550 Pro. Windows XP MCE. All stored in Piano black Antec Sonata II, with a broken door.

Mobile: ASUS M2400N, Pentium M 1.5 GHz. 512 MB DDR RAM. Intel EXTREME graphics. Windows XP SP 2 / Ubuntu 5.10.

Ridiculous DOES not have an 'e' in it. It comes from "ridicule" and has less than nothing to do with the colour red.
Subtestube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-05, 04:26 PM   #8
Knot3D

Regarding that SplinterCell 3 readme on the 66.93 drivers ; I never tried those together with the demo. However I believe Ubi on their word becuz I did install those once and it totally borked my pc. In fact, my pc dislikes ALL 66.xx drivers .

I did along time with 61.77 which served me fine, now i'm on 67.66 which is even better imo.

Thanx to the SC3 demo's sm3.0 soft shadow tech, the medium shadow resolution looks great as well.