Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows XP And Vista

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-01-02, 12:00 AM   #1
JediKnight
Kyle Katarn

Default Dark Forces and Win XP

Hi all. Is there a way to have sound in Dark Forces? I have the Win 95 version and it installs and runs fine, but no sound. Ive tried configuring and nothing. Maybe theres some hack that I dont know about. Its one of my all time fav games and would like to get into it again. thanks.

Intel Core i7 - 3770K| ASUS Maximus V Formula ACIII Mobo | 8 Gig Corsair Vengeance 1600 | EVGA 450 GTS | WD 1TB 64MB HDD | Lite On iBS312 BD RW Drive | Samsung VX922 | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 | Cooler Master HAF 922 case | Cooler Master Silent Pro M700 PSU
JediKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-02, 02:28 AM   #2
exar

Send a message via MSN to exar Send a message via Yahoo to exar

Try the Windows Application Compatibility Toolkit. It allowed me to play Heavy Gear 2, so hopefully it will work for Dark Forces. The toolkit installs two programs: Compatibility Administrator and Windows Application Verifier.

I don't see it listed in the Compatibility Administrator database, so you'll have to do it manually with the Windows Application Verifier program.

***EDIT*** Ignore the above information. That's only for games that have problems with running in Windows (i.e. compatibility problems of DX 6.1 with 8.1). I forgot how old Dark Forces really is. It was still a DOS game. What you need is to add a command to your autoexec.bat to get Soundblaster compatible sound started when you boot the system. I found an old printout I've kept of an old autoexec file for just this occasion. Add this line to your file: SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 T6

Double check your port settings before adding the line. The A220 is the port. I5 is the IRQ. D1 is the DMA channel. Change the numbers to your computer's configuration. I'm not sure what the rest of the codes mean, but this was the code line for an old Vibra 16 (an old Soundblaster compatable card from my Pentium 75). I hope this helps...

Last edited by exar; 12-01-02 at 02:54 AM.
exar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-02, 08:15 PM   #3
JediKnight
Kyle Katarn

thanks

Intel Core i7 - 3770K| ASUS Maximus V Formula ACIII Mobo | 8 Gig Corsair Vengeance 1600 | EVGA 450 GTS | WD 1TB 64MB HDD | Lite On iBS312 BD RW Drive | Samsung VX922 | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 | Cooler Master HAF 922 case | Cooler Master Silent Pro M700 PSU
JediKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-02, 03:35 AM   #4
Steppy
Radeon 10K Pro

A= address range
I= IRQ
D=Low DMA
H=High DMA
P=midi address(awe32/awe64 users will have an additionaly setting with the address 620)
T=? I honestly can't remember anymore

You may have to turn on some sort of DOS compatability mode for you sound card for it to work with DOS apps(just putting those settings in won't do squat for a lot of cards)