Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-23-05, 12:52 PM   #1
Rakeesh

Default Natural Selection 3.0 Trailer

This game has actually been around for quite a while (I have already been playing it for a few years now since its first beta,) and is still currently the game I play more than anything else. Seems that they just released a trailer for the up and coming 3.0 final, and it looks quite nice:

http://download.jarhedz.com/ns_beta/...ailer_high.zip

Pretty good work IMO. I know it is done on the aging HL1 engine, but who cares about that with a game this fun This game is already #6 of the list of the most played games/mods on steam.

For those who don't know, this is the first true real time strategy game implimented in a first person shooter environment. The commander issues troop movement much the same as e.g. starcraft. You build structures, gather resources, research better weapons/armor, etc.

This game probably depends more on teamwork than any other game out there. It is nearly impossible to have just one person win the game whereas in a game like CS, all it takes is one awp wh0re. Also, if everybody on a team just plays rambo and ignores the commander or doesn't help attack/defend critical points on the map as alien, they will surely lose.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-05, 12:55 PM   #2
|MaguS|

Default Re: Natural Selection 3.0 Trailer

Any idea if they ever plan to make a port for Source? I love the original but with Source out now, its hard to go back to HL Games...
Old 02-23-05, 12:59 PM   #3
Rakeesh

I think Flayra (the lead developer of NS) said he is really considering it, and the team is more leaning towards the direction that they will do it. However they said it will be quite difficult as developing NS involved several hacks of the HL1 engine that you normally can't pull off with its various limitations. Namely the whole commander interface, the skulk models being able to walk upside down on the ceilings/walls, etc.

I was actually pretty confident that NS2 was going to be for source, which is actually the main reason I even bought HL2, but it turns out that NS2 is going to be its own retail game from this independent games company (called Unknown Worlds Entertainment) and possibly based on the unreal 3 engine. The good news there is that means none of the bugs of source will be involved in that (thank god.) The word from them is: "NS was the battle, NS2 will be the war." Sounds pretty good and I hope they succeed. NS2 will probably be one of the only games I would ever pre-order in my lifetime.

Meanwhile I hope that NS1 does see a port to source though.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Old 02-23-05, 01:05 PM   #4
Edge
3d animator for hire!

3.0 final? As in non-beta? And here I thought it was going to go through a dozen betas before reaching a "finished" state like Counter-Strike, heh. Looks awesome, hopefully the server I always played on will be back up by the time the update is released.
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-05, 01:14 PM   #5
Rakeesh

Kinda sorta, they didn't do that with 1.0 and 2.0 which had very short beta periods. The 3.0 beta wont last nearly as long as the original counterstrike beta.

The main changes I am waiting for is that they will allow the aliens to spawn faster when they just have one hive on a large server (since marines can build as many infantry portals as they want, which made the game very unfair on large servers.)

Also, I think they are going to make the sensory chambers provide the "scent of fear" effect whenever marines come near them. I remember how useless sensory chambers used to be, but in this next version they might even become better than the defense chambers.

If only they could make the movement chambers more useful; all they do right now is provide a quick energy recharge effect, make the OCs fire a little faster, and teleport to the furthest hive or whichever hive might be getting attacked. Not particularly useful if you only have one hive. Maybe they could make them tripple the rate of the OCs or smth instead of adding only a little more speed? As it stands, one or even two OCs is **** for defense. They should allow an MC to change that.

Old 02-23-05, 02:26 PM   #6
jolle

I got the impression that they were trying to leave the "mod scene" and make it as "real developers" instead..
Dunno what that would mean to NS tho, a Source version seems like a given move really (still waiting on SvenCoop 2 and DoD:S)
Old 02-23-05, 03:10 PM   #7
Rakeesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolle
I got the impression that they were trying to leave the "mod scene" and make it as "real developers" instead..
Like I said, this is what they are going to do with the sequel of NS, which wont touch source (thank god.) That is some way down the road though, they might recreate the classic NS for source however.