Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-21-07, 01:17 PM   #925
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Default Re: *** Official World of Warcraft Thread ***

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|
The big deal is that its nothing more then Diablo 2. D2 also had thousands of players online at any given time (still does) and you could talk to them as long as they are online. GW is not a MMO. A MMO is defined by a world were a large amount of players can interact and the world is persistent. The label means nothing really, its just a pet peeve of mine. A game as simplistic and limted as GW should not be compared to games of the MMO genre.
qft
Tygerwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-07, 10:01 PM   #926
Xion X2

Okay, I did it. I went out and got WoW this weekend, and I've been playing it pretty much since I bought it.

I still love Vanguard, but all of the damn bugs are just driving me crazy. Group bugs, quest bugs, binding item bugs, performance bugs, crafting bugs, etc etc etc ad infinitum into the next galaxy.

So I figured I would give WoW and EQ2 a shot until they get most of the bugs worked out with VG--which I really hope they do.

Well, EQ2 hasn't quite made the cut. Performance is horrible on my system for such an old game. I've tried all kinds of settings and it still lags around 20fps when you get lots of characters on-screen at once.

WoW, on the other hand, is the smoothest running game I think I've ever played. Not the least bit of lag or framerate drop anywhere no matter how many characters or enemies are on screen at once, which is both a relief and impressive. I mean, yeah, the graphics are kinda dated and simplistic, but after a while they almost grow on you. I do wish it looked a little better, but so far it hasn't taken away from the fact that it's a pretty good game.

I think what's turned me onto it so far is not only the smooth gameplay, but the entire game just syncs very well. The characters, the environments, the music, and the art--it all seems to flow together into something that makes perfect sense. It's a world that you actually feel like you're in the middle in, which is important in these kinds of games. It's one of those things you can't explain; you just have to sit down with it a few hours to see.

But yeah, it's pretty good and I'm having a lot of fun with it so far.

Pros:
- Atmosphere: Like I said, everything seems to flow together really well.
- Music: Music is awesome. It's the kind of pleasant stuff you could listen to all day and it wouldn't bother you.. unlike some of Vanguard's which can feel like it's drilling into your head after a while (although I do like the music on VG, you can't listen to it non-stop).
- Gameplay: Extremely smooth controls, easy access to items and equipment, great interfaces.
- Performance: Couldn't get any better than it is. Only online game I've ever played where there was no lag. Framerate is perfect, no stuttering in either visuals or sound anywhere.

Cons:
1) Graphics: Although they're growing on me, sometimes the simplicity of the textures really sticks out.. especially the trees. Not a deal-breaker, but definitely noticeable sometimes. However, if you let yourself be drawn into the game it just doesn't seem to matter so much after a while.
2) Audience: Much younger age group on WoW as compared to VG. I'm not totally against that, but when some nut follows me around like this one kid did tonight it gets kind of freaky. No matter where I went he/she would follow me and say "go go go" non-stop and would never quit. Apparently, it was the only thing he/she knew how to say. I tried chatting on several occasions and all he/she could say was "go" or "lol." But, whatever.

Oh, and yeah.. almost forgot this other kid that logged on with the name "buttsex" and kept shouting "Who wants to *!*# me in the #*@ for 5 dollar?" over and over on the chat until he was finally banned. Never saw that kinda stuff on VG...

And no, I'm not making that up.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-07, 10:04 PM   #927
|MaguS|

What server are you on?
Old 03-25-07, 10:18 PM   #928
Xion X2

Well, I couldn't get on Elune like UDawg wanted me to because it was full. So I'm on Duskwood right now. I'm a chick Night Elf named Leastra.

Couldn't help it.. she looks cooler than the male elves.

I started out with an Orc but wasn't crazy about starting out in the desert again after VG so I switched. Now I'm out in a forest but I can't remember the name of it. Algrasil(?) or something like that. I'll probably get back on it here in a few minutes.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Old 03-25-07, 10:29 PM   #929
|MaguS|

Make on on the Bonechewer server, Its a PVP server but me and acouple of friends play regularly and we are planning to start a guild. We don't PVP much but we like the thrill of anything goes areas so you have to always be alert.
Old 03-25-07, 10:31 PM   #930
Xion X2

K, I'll make a 2nd toon over there, then. What's your handle?

(you like that I'm learning the MMO lingo, doncha? Toon, tell, gtg, omw.. none of these made a damn bit of sense a month ago. )

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Old 03-25-07, 10:35 PM   #931
|MaguS|

lol

Im a lvl 21 Hunter, names Kortia. Shes the new good race... yeah female because the males look like fat demons.

Also got a lvl 13 Dwarf Warrior aswell.
Old 03-25-07, 10:42 PM   #932
Xion X2

Aight. I'll add you.

I don't have Burning Crusade yet, but I'm guessing it doesn't affect grouping at all. Right?

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz

Old 03-25-07, 10:47 PM   #933
|MaguS|

Nope, I already left the newbie island and am in a main city. I will be on tomorrow night after work. Now its time for bed.
Old 03-25-07, 10:48 PM   #934
Xion X2

K, later man.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Old 03-25-07, 11:29 PM   #935
superklye

wtf does "PST" mean?
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-07, 01:27 AM   #936
Xion X2

I think it means please send tell, but I'm not for certain.

Magus, I'm now on that server under the same handle. Leveled up to 6 tonight.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz