Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-27-05, 06:40 PM   #13
LiquidX
xxxxxxx

Default Re: Creator of Final Fantasy games now works for Microsoft.

This is great news. Traditional Japanese RPG'S was the main area where the XBox lacked and the main reason for the system not getting more attention in the asian markets. I still think MS really missed a great opportunity to buy Square outright and instead let Sony gobble up there shares. He may not be the one designing the games but he has alot of talent following him. Cant wait to see what they have in store.
LiquidX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-05, 08:43 AM   #14
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant Zero
Meh, the first FF game was crap, the second wasn't even an FF game [it was a SaGa game], and I haven't played the third to comment. However from the SNES era FFIV was my favorite, with 5 close behind. I never got into VI.
Excuse me? The second was a SaGa game? No, there was a Final Fantasy 2 and a Final Fantasy 3 released on the NES that were full-fledged Final Fantasies. You can play 2 on the Playstation/GBA remake of 1+2 and 3 is going to be released on the DS. I've played a fan translation of 3 and it's the best one on the NES platform.

The Final Fantasy Legend series on the Gameboy were SaGa games, and Final Fantasy Adventure was in fact Seiken Densetsu.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-05, 09:30 AM   #15
Lfctony

I've enjoyed all FF games since VII, I'd say the weakest of the bunch was FFX-2 which strayed away from the usual path Squaresoft/Square-Enix follows but was still a good game. Still, FFVII was hardly semi-good, it was simply excellent, and i wouldn't call the games after it crap:

FFVII: Avg Ratio: 92%
Based On 27 Media Outlets

FFVIII: Avg Ratio: 88%
Based On 27 Media Outlets

FFIX: Avg Ratio: 92%
Based On 43 Media Outlets

FFX: Avg Ratio: 91%
Based On 72 Media Outlets

FFX-2: Avg Ratio: 87%
Based On 64 Media Outlets

These are from www.gamerankings.com
Fafnir: Intel Core 2 Quad 6600@3.2Ghz|eVGA 780i SLI|PNY GTX480 |Kingston DDR667 4096MB|WD Black Caviar 500GB|Seagate SATA 250GB|Seagate SATA 200GB| Seagate SATA 160GB|OptiArc AD-7173S DVDRW|Nec 3351 DVDRW|Creative X-FI XM|LG Flatron W2261V|Logitech X-530|Thermaltake Armor|Amptac 850W SLI PSU|Logitech G9 Mouse|Xigmatek HDT S-1283 CPU Cooler|Windows 7/FW 257.21

PS2 - Wii - Xbox - Xbox360 - PSP - GC - PS3 Owner

Boycott Starforce...

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes?
Lfctony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-05, 11:03 AM   #16
|MaguS|

I loved every FF game... except some of FF8. FF8 had a great story but almost everything else sucked... probably the worse battle system I have ever played also.

I love the changes they made with FFX and from I read about FFXII its also taking the FF series in a new direction (Fully 3D, Movable Camera, No random battles and battles take place on the map).
Old 02-28-05, 02:03 PM   #17
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Just because major game publications gave the games good marks doesn't necessarily make them excellent. Though I must say, I thoroughly enjoyed FF7, 9, and 10 (hated 8 and didn't play X-2). But compared to Final Fantasy IV and VI, these games were men among giants. The series broke new ground with FF7 but lost something intangible in the transition.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Old 02-28-05, 02:08 PM   #18
|MaguS|

I think its mainly on the player, some couldn't grasp some changes in the series. One move is more of leaning on love interests. Not many FF games prior to FF7 had a heavy love story within the game, the jump to more future settings didn't help aswell. Main reason FF8 flopped so hard, it was just a huge leap from any other setting. Guess thats why I loved FFX because its setting felt so much like FF7/FF6. An awsome mix of Future and Fantasy.
Old 02-28-05, 03:12 PM   #19
Lfctony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaman09
Just because major game publications gave the games good marks doesn't necessarily make them excellent. Though I must say, I thoroughly enjoyed FF7, 9, and 10 (hated 8 and didn't play X-2). But compared to Final Fantasy IV and VI, these games were men among giants. The series broke new ground with FF7 but lost something intangible in the transition.
We aren't talking about just a few, were talking about 25-50 reviews averaging scores of ~90%. For example,I played FFVIII six times at least, while I don't have the patience to play other "earth shattering" games even twice, games that are supposedly the best ever.
Fafnir: Intel Core 2 Quad 6600@3.2Ghz|eVGA 780i SLI|PNY GTX480 |Kingston DDR667 4096MB|WD Black Caviar 500GB|Seagate SATA 250GB|Seagate SATA 200GB| Seagate SATA 160GB|OptiArc AD-7173S DVDRW|Nec 3351 DVDRW|Creative X-FI XM|LG Flatron W2261V|Logitech X-530|Thermaltake Armor|Amptac 850W SLI PSU|Logitech G9 Mouse|Xigmatek HDT S-1283 CPU Cooler|Windows 7/FW 257.21

PS2 - Wii - Xbox - Xbox360 - PSP - GC - PS3 Owner

Boycott Starforce...

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes?
Lfctony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-05, 08:34 AM   #20
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lfctony
We aren't talking about just a few, were talking about 25-50 reviews averaging scores of ~90%. For example,I played FFVIII six times at least, while I don't have the patience to play other "earth shattering" games even twice, games that are supposedly the best ever.
Well great! I'm glad you enjoyed it! Personally I thought FFVIII was the worst in the series and a terrible game on top of it. I guess it just goes to show that arguing about video games is dumb. We might as well argue about politics or religion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebgtmagus
I think its mainly on the player, some couldn't grasp some changes in the series. One move is more of leaning on love interests. Not many FF games prior to FF7 had a heavy love story within the game, the jump to more future settings didn't help aswell. Main reason FF8 flopped so hard, it was just a huge leap from any other setting.
I really hope you're not trying to say there was a complex love story in any of the new Final Fantasy games. There wasn't, ESPECIALLY not FF8. Squall acts completed indifferent to Rinoa for the ENTIRE GAME up until the space scene, then he's all like, "Oh man, I really love you!" Then he ignores her the rest of the game. Wow, what a love story. Pass the tissues, I'm a freaking fire hydrant over here. Up until Final Fantasy X there weren't any particularly interesting love stories in the series at all, with the possible exception of Locke and Celes in FFVI. Oh, and I can "grasp" shiny new graphics and CG cutscenes, because that's the only change in the FF series that took place (until FFX with its awesome new battle system).

Also I hated Squall's character with a passion. "Oh, I'm a mopey depressed loser seeking attention. Boo hoo." He's a freaking emo kid with a stupid looking gun.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410

Old 03-01-05, 08:46 AM   #21
|MaguS|

Um FF7 had a HUGE love interest... actually has a love triangle...Funny thing that you mention Locke and Celes since there was no obvious love interest, the closest thing you got was locke saying she was pretty and her blushing. In FF7 you get many different instances that hint of love/crushes going on, FF8 (there were more scenes then what you mention but Squal was cold hearted most of the time, more of a one sided relationship. Plus you can see him get jealous of Siegwhatever his name was (guy who cut him)).

Much has changed in EVERY FF, They all have a different battle system and often add new mini games plus a different Inventory System and Magic System. Sure over all the main change was graphics and story but that can be said about any long running series...
Old 03-01-05, 08:51 AM   #22
Sorrow
First Person Ownage

I think he needs to make an online FF-esque game for the XB2, to compete with Vanguard when it comes out. Also, I'm not a big fan of the FF series. My attention span is about | | when it comes to offline RPGs, that could probably be the reason also. I lose an extreme sense of immersion in offline RPGs.

AMD 64 3000+ (Newcastle) @ 2.25ghz
Gigabyte 6800GT @ 375/1085
Corsair 512x2 DDR400 RAM
Soltek nf3 150 mobo
Currently playing:
--Everquest II(Activated!), WoW (Cancelled), Counter-Strike: Source
http://miniprofile.xfire.com/s0rr0ws.png
Sorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-05, 08:54 AM   #23
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by egbtmagus
Um FF7 had a HUGE love interest... actually has a love triangle...
And it was clumsy, obvious, and boring. Notice that I said "interesting love stories", not just "love stories". If I wanted to watch a soap opera I would.
Quote:
Originally Posted by egbtmagus
Much has changed in EVERY FF, They all have a different battle system and often add new mini games plus a different Inventory System and Magic System.
The battle system in Final Fantasy was turn based until FFIV, when it was "real-time" until FFX, when it went back to turn based. All Final Fantasies have had mini games. All Final Fantasies have the same spells and items, just different ways of learning and using them. That's not a big difference to me. Buying, learning by level ups, Job System, Magic Points, AP, whatever you want to call it, you still select a spell from the menu and watch the enemies blow up. None of the games provided any kind of revolution in gameplay (with the possible exception of FFX - can you tell I liked that one?)
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Old 03-01-05, 08:57 AM   #24
|MaguS|

I don't think console based MMORPGs should try to compete with PC MMORPGs, its just two different markets honestly. A Console MMO should be fast action, I would think something like Lineage 2 or possible a better version of Planetside. I think Console games should remain casual, even WoW is too demanding for a console game...

Erk, The way the behind the scene systems matter big time, In FF7 materia played a big role, you never really LEARNED spells. Your Materia did, remove it and you have no spells or skills. In FF9 people were specialized, only certain characters could someone, others could only steal. It was basically an early FFX system.

I believe FF6 started the Active Battle system which was also Optional (Enemies wouldn't wait for you to make a selection), which removed the turn based fighting system, I believe even FFX had this option.