Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-01-05, 09:28 AM   #25
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Default Re: Creator of Final Fantasy games now works for Microsoft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by egbtmagus
I believe FF6 started the Active Battle system which was also Optional (Enemies wouldn't wait for you to make a selection), which removed the turn based fighting system, I believe even FFX had this option.
Wrong. Final Fantasy IV started the ATB (Active Time Battle) system. "Wait" has always been an option but only pauses everyone's timers while making submenu selections. Final Fantasy X was entirely turn based but used a very clever system of doing it. The NES FF games were literally Party - Monster - Party - Monster.
Quote:
Erk, The way the behind the scene systems matter big time, In FF7 materia played a big role, you never really LEARNED spells. Your Materia did, remove it and you have no spells or skills. In FF9 people were specialized, only certain characters could someone, others could only steal. It was basically an early FFX system.
I was talking about how the abilities are used in the battle system. Regardless of the method in which you gain your spells and abilities, you still pick them from a list during combat and watch the effects show that follows. From a gameplay perspective there is nothing new in an of the pre-FFX FF games, and even in FFX it is a very slight difference. FFXII looks like it's finally going to break the trend, but it might end up costing the series its identity.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-05, 09:37 AM   #26
f|LtH fR@g

I'll jump in here and take ninja's side, FF8 was garbage, but I feel 10 and X-2 were the worst of the series. Ugh...Tidus....worst. character. ever.

I wouldn't hold my breath, they (m$) got a creator, but that doesnt mean they have a decent franchise that will sell like hotcakes.....grab an old game for playstation called "shadow madness", an rpg done by a bunch of ex-square employees....you'll see what I mean. Things look great on paper, but once they get rolling....that's not to say great things can't come from this merger...but I wouldnt hold my breath.

I'm sorry, but anyone who doesn't like FF7 need not play rpg's. I know i'll be flamed for it, but that's ok. =) FF7 is hands down one of the greatest games ever made. (Right next to FF3 for snes)
Old 03-01-05, 09:40 AM   #27
|MaguS|

How else would you like to pick your abilties or spells? I personally prefer the FF system over systems like .hack or Tales have, I want to be able to control all my party members, not control one member and have the others on a chosen AI method.

I guess it depends on the player, I enjoy the slow paced battles of FF Series, Don't get me wrong I loved FFXs system. I just don't want to see the series go realtime like the .hack and tales series.

Chrono Trigger > ALL Final Fantasys
Old 03-01-05, 10:02 AM   #28
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
How else would you like to pick your abilties or spells? I personally prefer the FF system over systems like .hack or Tales have, I want to be able to control all my party members, not control one member and have the others on a chosen AI method.
I never said it was bad, I said it was the same throughout the series to justify my claim that the series has not changed as much as you said it has. I've always been a huge Final Fantasy fan. It just annoys me when people deify the series as if it were the greatest thing ever created, because it's not. It's the same game made over and over again. Which works since most of the time the games are awesome. And yeah, Chrono Trigger is better than all the FF games by far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by filth frag
I'm sorry, but anyone who doesn't like FF7 need not play rpg's. FF7 is hands down one of the greatest games ever made.
Sorry for not quoting your name properly, I didn't feel like typing that out. Anyway, I have to assume that, in order to say this, you:
-Played Final Fantasy VII before you played any other FF games
-Played Final Fantasy VII before you palyed any other GAMES
-Have never played Deus Ex
-Have never played Chrono Trigger
-Have never played A Link to the Past
-Have never played Xenogears
-Have never played Ocarina of Time
-Have never played ...[insert X game that is better than FF7]...

Anyway, Final Fantasy VII was a decent FF game, certainly not the best (storywise it is subpar, especially at the end, musicwise it is very good but pales in comparison to FFIV) and an excellent game in its own right, but it can't hold a candle to any of the games I mentioned above. I can understand if it was your first FF game and you have that nostalgia factored in, but it's essentially the same game as the other six with more "angsty" characters.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Old 03-01-05, 10:38 AM   #29
f|LtH fR@g

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaman09
Sorry for not quoting your name properly, I didn't feel like typing that out. Anyway, I have to assume that, in order to say this, you:
-Played Final Fantasy VII before you played any other FF games
-Played Final Fantasy VII before you palyed any other GAMES
-Have never played Deus Ex
-Have never played Chrono Trigger
-Have never played A Link to the Past
-Have never played Xenogears
-Have never played Ocarina of Time
-Have never played ...[insert X game that is better than FF7]...

First FF game I played was on nes, the original, then part 2 for snes, then 3, then 7, and so on...been a huge FF fan for years. I've played every one of them except X-2, which seemed like a total sell-out pixel titted character enhanced crop of crap. I hated 8, 9 was....9 was square trying too hard to be what they once were if you ask me. I didnt hate it, but I didnt really like it either, put a good 25 hours into it and then just quit. 12 looks interesting and i'll for sure play it. But ff3 for snes...or 6...(however u want to number it) and FF7 are my two fav's of the series...FF2 was really fun too.

- Never played Deus Ex... Still have too....

- Played Chrono Trigger, couldn't stand it, I can't play a 40 hour long rpg with a character that doesnt talk. ( But I have no problem with it in HL2 lol)

- Beat and loved link to a past, but FF7, I hold closer to my heart

- Never tried Xenogears, heard great things, found it used....for 44.99, and I cant bring myself to pay almost $50 for a game that old.

- Beat Ocarina of Time, fine game, but nowhere near as deep as anything else listed here. The graphics snowed us all.

I just feel FF7 hit everything on the spot. I loved the characters, heroes and villian(s), the environments, the entire world itself, the music, it was all there, just a solid game. The story did have some weak points but overall it was satisfying...(cept for that ending)
Old 03-01-05, 10:51 AM   #30
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by filth frag
Played Chrono Trigger, couldn't stand it
OK, I stopped reading right there. You just lost speaking priviledges.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Old 03-01-05, 10:53 AM   #31
f|LtH fR@g

Quote:
OK, I stopped reading right there. You just lost speaking priviledges.

Hey man, I'm not saying it's not a good game, just not for me.
Old 03-01-05, 11:14 AM   #32
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by f|LtH fR@g

Hey man, I'm not saying it's not a good game, just not for me.
I know I'm just messing around. It's silly to argue about video games but it's still fun!
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410

Old 03-01-05, 02:39 PM   #33
|MaguS|

You played and beat OOT but couldn't play CT because chrono wouldn't talk? I don't recall Link ever talking... Heck, Half way through CT things change
Old 03-01-05, 06:34 PM   #34
Vagrant Zero
I'm a Back Door Man

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant Zero

People will pull out the stupidest half-assed reasons to justify their preferences sometimes. I have no problem with mute deafs, most RPG charas were just that during the SNES era.

With that said I still found CT to be meh. Defintely not the be all end all of SNES RPGs. Those rights goto Seiken Densetsu III, Tales of Phantasia, and Star Ocean.

People who worship CT need to go play some Japanese RPGs that never made it over to the states.
Vagrant Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-05, 06:39 PM   #35
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant Zero
With that said I still found CT to be meh. Defintely not the be all end all of SNES RPGs. Those rights goto Seiken Densetsu III, Tales of Phantasia, and Star Ocean.

People who worship CT need to go play some Japanese RPGs that never made it over to the states.
Spoken like a true elitist. Well I'll tell you what man, I've played and beaten all three of those games and though two of them were great (ToP wasn't my cup of tea) I still prefer CT. Though I will say that Seiken Densetsu 3 was a triumph of game design and it was absolutely criminal that it never came out in the states. Star Ocean was excellent but still I prefer CT.

But like I said before, arguing over each others' opinions is inherently retarded.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Old 03-01-05, 07:54 PM   #36
Vagrant Zero
I'm a Back Door Man

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant Zero

Quote:
Spoken like a true elitist. Well I'll tell you what man, I've played and beaten all three of those games and though two of them were great (ToP wasn't my cup of tea) I still prefer CT. Though I will say that Seiken Densetsu 3 was a triumph of game design and it was absolutely criminal that it never came out in the states. Star Ocean was excellent but still I prefer CT.

But like I said before, arguing over each others' opinions is inherently retarded.
Wow, I was just called an elist by a guy who a page back went on an anti-FFVII rant.

In other news, hair was discovered on my ass. More late breaking news at 11.
Vagrant Zero is offline   Reply With Quote