Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-03-05, 04:49 PM   #25
Superfly
Retired

Default Re: Official Star Wars Republic Commando thread

My copies coming in the morning post :-)

I Thought the demo was supurb, loved the squad and the AI - best ever in a FPS - period.

Cant wait to see the whole game, most web reviews are saying its a fantastic single player game in eveyway - only complaints are its too short and the multi player is nothing new - its not bad, just nothing new.

some official reviews for ya:

http://gamesdomain.yahoo.com/pc/star...o/review/64645

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/st...ubliccommando/

seems to only loose points on the game length and the MP.

I can live with a short but great game - better than a long winded average game!! and we all new MP was gonna be generic.

Roll on tommorrow.
Old 03-03-05, 04:53 PM   #26
Superfly
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay
Do you all think that PC Gamer may have had an early (non-retail) build of the game? They cited bugs as a problem and said that it "played itself" at times. I'm more inclined to consider gamerankings.com and your opinions than I am PC Gamer lately.
I very much doubt PCGamer on this - even the demo was very polished and bug free, no other review I can find backs them up so...

buy it - try it and I reckon you'll like it.
Old 03-03-05, 04:56 PM   #27
holmes

Quote:
Originally Posted by carkis
Yeesh! I have mine set to 3. 5 was too much for me.

I'm at a part in the game that has just stopped me for now. You have a short time limit and a crapload of heavy enemies to contend with to disable a console. I had fun until this point, though. I've tried 5 times and never even got close.
Possible spoiler?

Yeah, that part was real tough. Basically I got frustrated to the point where I reloaded that level (where you take the elevator up w/ your squad) and ran like hell towards the final door before you get to the last room. I suggest using the anti-armor attachment to take out the super bots and driodikas easily so you don't waste too much time. It takes a min or so to slice the computer to get the codes so if you don't breach that door with about 1:30, you're toast. As soon as you run in take out the sentry guns on the ceiling and to the left and right of the console. As soon as you get a clear line of sight to the terminal issue the order to hack it.

I did it this way and made it out with 4 sec. to spare... whew!

The Rig
ASRock 970 Extreme3 AM3+
AMD Athlon II x2 260
DDR3-1600 (2x2GB) Kingston HyperX
Western Digital caviar 1TB
ECS GeForce GT 220 1GB
Cooler Master Storm Scout ATX case
Corsair 750W PSU
holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-05, 05:01 PM   #28
Superfly
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes
Possible spoiler?

ran like hell towards the final door before you get to the last room. I suggest using the anti-armor attachment to take out the super bots and driodikas easily so you don't waste too much time. It takes a min or so to slice the computer to get the codes so if you don't breach that door with about 1:30, you're toast. As soon as you run in take out the sentry guns on the ceiling and to the left and right of the console. As soon as you get a clear line of sight to the terminal issue the order to hack it.

man that sounds like a **** load of fun.

cant wait.
Old 03-03-05, 05:03 PM   #29
holmes

Oh man.. just wait. That level is frikkin' insane!

The Rig
ASRock 970 Extreme3 AM3+
AMD Athlon II x2 260
ECS GeForce GT 220 1GB
Corsair 750W PSU
Old 03-03-05, 05:10 PM   #30
Lfctony

Quote:
Do you all think that PC Gamer may have had an early (non-retail) build of the game? They cited bugs as a problem and said that it "played itself" at times. I'm more inclined to consider gamerankings.com and your opinions than I am PC Gamer lately.

GameSpot 2/25/2005 8.7 out of 10 87.0%
IGN 2/18/2005 8.2 out of 10 82.0%
PC Gamer 4/1/2005 62 out of 100 62.0%
1UP 3/1/2005 8 out of 10 80.0%
Yahoo! Games 3/1/2005 8 out of 10 80.0%
Play Magazine 3/1/2005 8.5 out of 10 85.0%
Game Helper 2/28/2005 9 out of 10 90.0%

The PC Gamer review really does stand out, and after having played the game a bit, I don't think it reflects the game's quality.
Fafnir: Intel Core 2 Quad 6600@3.2Ghz|eVGA 780i SLI|PNY GTX480 |Kingston DDR667 4096MB|WD Black Caviar 500GB|Seagate SATA 250GB|Seagate SATA 200GB| Seagate SATA 160GB|OptiArc AD-7173S DVDRW|Nec 3351 DVDRW|Creative X-FI XM|LG Flatron W2261V|Logitech X-530|Thermaltake Armor|Amptac 850W SLI PSU|Logitech G9 Mouse|Xigmatek HDT S-1283 CPU Cooler|Windows 7/FW 257.21

PS2 - Wii - Xbox - Xbox360 - PSP - GC - PS3 Owner

Boycott Starforce...

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes?
Lfctony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-05, 05:14 PM   #31
holmes

Quote:
So far I've yet to experience any kind of bugginess. This game obviously went through alot of testing and you can definitely see the polish. This is in stark contrast to a game like, say, HL2...

The Rig
ASRock 970 Extreme3 AM3+
AMD Athlon II x2 260
ECS GeForce GT 220 1GB
Corsair 750W PSU
Old 03-03-05, 05:22 PM   #32
Clay

Thanks guys, good stuff. I've been interested in this game and getting even moreso after reading this thread.
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-05, 07:01 PM   #33
SH64
MAXIMUM TECH

The demo was phun .. gonna pick it up soon

- "My name is RAM and my tank is full"

http://warhawk64nv.mybrute.com/ <-- pupils go thaarrr! Or,
http://silenthunter64.mybrute.com
SH64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-05, 07:03 AM   #34
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Been playing the game for a few hours. Very fun, the gameplay is quite interesting despite the largely repeatative nature of it. Graphics are very nice, it has some of the best faked shadows I've ever seen (definatly a large step above Half-life 2's shadowing system). Music is very good as well, I was surprised that it wasn't all just recycled Star Wars music that we've been hearing for the last 20 years, and the best part is that the music is conveniently stored as OGGs right in the game data directory . So far the main downsides I've found are the somewhat forced strategies, slightly sluggish mouse control, and fairly small environments (strangely the backgrounds themselves sometimes stretch on for a very long ways, but you can only walk in a small area of them). Also loading times are fairly frequent, but since they only last a few seconds that's quite forgivable. Otherwise it's very enjoyable, I hope it's not *too* short though.

Last edited by Edge; 03-04-05 at 07:17 AM.
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-05, 09:13 AM   #35
carkis

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes
Possible spoiler?

Yeah, that part was real tough. Basically I got frustrated to the point where I reloaded that level (where you take the elevator up w/ your squad) and ran like hell towards the final door before you get to the last room. I suggest using the anti-armor attachment to take out the super bots and driodikas easily so you don't waste too much time. It takes a min or so to slice the computer to get the codes so if you don't breach that door with about 1:30, you're toast. As soon as you run in take out the sentry guns on the ceiling and to the left and right of the console. As soon as you get a clear line of sight to the terminal issue the order to hack it.

HAH! I found out there were different grenade types

That alone helped me a lot. The cool part about these difficult areas is the sense of accomplishment when you make it. I have now learned to control my team better because of it too. Now I can manage massive tactical battles.

I agree, this game is quite polished. I'd recommend the game, as it has ripped me from WOW's grip for two days now
carkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-05, 09:38 AM   #36
MUYA

Send a message via MSN to MUYA

@Zero1978
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/announcement.php?f=12

So please can you change your post or you might find yourself banned.
Corsair K90 - Corsair Venegance 2000 Headset - Razer Naga Epic
Corsair 600T Case
MUYA is offline   Reply With Quote