Send a message via MSN to MUYA
Default Re: Custom Firefox Extension for nV News Forums

Aha!
Corsair K90 - Corsair Venegance 2000 Headset - Razer Naga Epic
Corsair 600T Case
Old 03-04-05, 08:52 AM   #14
|MaguS|

Pretty awsome! Only issue I had was when I used the menu it loaded up the forum without my login saved. I can just login but would be great if it took the bookmarked or cache login already... just a slight annoyance but nothing too troubling.

Old 03-04-05, 09:19 AM   #15
Clay

Quote:
Originally Posted by egbtmagus
Pretty awsome! Only issue I had was when I used the menu it loaded up the forum without my login saved. I can just login but would be great if it took the bookmarked or cache login already... just a slight annoyance but nothing too troubling.
That seems odd. So do you actually log out of the forums? As long as I don't log out of the forums I can close Firefox, open it back up, be on any other site (or at nvnews.net) and it works for me without prompting me to login. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 03-04-05, 11:04 AM   #16
EverGreen
>Old Skool<

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay
I developed it under Firefox v1.01 and it seems others here have no problems. Maybe you missed a step in the installation instructions? I'll see if I can reproduce the error you are getting.
Good point Clay !

I did do all the steps from the first to the last and just get the error:

Okay this getting with those 1.01 update of yours, strange item indeed...
AMD 2500+ oc'ed @3600+
SB X-Fi Extreem-music card
Old 03-04-05, 11:46 AM   #17
Clay

Looks like you clicked on the "Update" button. That will cause the message you're seeing because I have no update file in place at this time. That's only a means for you to check for possible updates and has nothing to do with my install instructions. If you close your browser and then reopen it you should then see the menu when you right click somewhere in your browser. Hope that helps.
Old 03-04-05, 11:57 AM   #18
Head_slinger
DEP Hater :)

Send a message via ICQ to Head_slinger

great extension!!

Does it take the forum names dynamically or is it hardcoded.
Audigy 2
ASUS A8V

Windows XP Prof./SuSe 8.2
Old 03-04-05, 12:45 PM   #19
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay
That seems odd. So do you actually log out of the forums? As long as I don't log out of the forums I can close Firefox, open it back up, be on any other site (or at nvnews.net) and it works for me without prompting me to login. Thanks for the feedback.
I never log out of the forums, I have auto login and my password is saved aswell in teh browser yet when I intially used teh quick menu function to reach these boards, I was logged out. Im guessing it doesnt take from the same temp/cache file that normal typing/bookmarks do.

Old 03-04-05, 01:17 PM   #20
Prof

I need some help to install this extension. When I rename the extension to an XPI it still thinks it is a zip file. Is there something in the renaming process that I am missing besides clicking on the file to rename it. When I check the properties of this file it still says it is a zip file. http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/misc...=0&forumid=19#
surrender

Old 03-04-05, 03:08 PM   #21
Prof

Found my answer on the internet I had to uncheck hide all extentions box under view all folders.
Old 03-04-05, 07:17 PM   #22
Omega53

Nevermind
Venice 3000+ 64 @ [COLOR=Red]2.5ghz (278 FSB)[/COLOR]
1 GiG Cosair XMS 2.5-3-3-6 @ [COLOR=Blue]230Mhz[/COLOR]
19" Viewsonic G90f
[URL="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=1275491"]8600 3D Mark 05[/URL]
Old 03-04-05, 07:37 PM   #23
Clay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Head_slinger
great extension!!

Does it take the forum names dynamically or is it hardcoded.
Good question. The forum names/link are hardcoded for now. (I know, yuck) I did so just to get it up and running for now. I'd like to pull dynamically pull that data but need to read up on how that might be possible from vBulletin. I would assume that the forum heirarchy can be retrieved as XML in some way. One potential downside to that, though, is that it may cause some performance issues since the XUL overlay for the context menu would basically have to get regenerated dynamically either each time you right click or perhaps have it set to regenerate only when Firefox is started. Some things to toss around I guess.

I would also like to provide an options XUL overlay so that users could customize which forums appear or not in their context menu, could just be a checkbox list for example. I'm also reading up on RDF datasources. One could fashion a pretty slick tree control with an RDF datasource containing the forum info.
Old 03-04-05, 07:44 PM   #24
Clay

Quote:
Originally Posted by egbtmagus
I never log out of the forums, I have auto login and my password is saved aswell in teh browser yet when I intially used teh quick menu function to reach these boards, I was logged out. Im guessing it doesnt take from the same temp/cache file that normal typing/bookmarks do.
Ok, so is it working for you now? I've tried to reproduce this but haven't been able to. If you are still having the problem, could you give me a breakdown that I could follow to reproduce it? Thanks.

Glad the rest of you guys figured out how to install it. I'm waiting on confirmation of my project request for this over at mozdev.org. If it is then I'll post the XPI file there so that it can be installed more gracefully like most of you are probably more used to.

Keep the bug reports, questions, ideas coming guys. This is for you guys so anyone that would like to make modifications to the source, please feel free. I've already received a number of PMs from folks requesting permission to use this on various forums that they frequent. This project is under the GNU Public License (GPL) so you're free to do what you'd like in accordance with the GPL.

This is really my first foray into open source development so there's a lot about the GPL and a few other things that I'm pretty much a noob about. So, I welcome anything some of you with more experience care to share.
Closed Thread