Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-05-05, 02:35 PM   #13
terraboy
Watercooler++

Send a message via AIM to terraboy
Default Re: Doom3 Mac benchmarks...

the worst part was, when the new power mac G5's came out, the majority of the benchmarks they used to prove it were developed for apple pcs in the beginning. they didnt use a single benchmark i would use to compare the two. plus at that time you were paying over 2k for a pc that had a 9600pro ati card, which they finally upgraded later.

the only argument i can see a mac user winning is that apples are stable with OSx and fairly immune to virii. other than that they talk bs about having a couple more colors than pcs (that you would never use anyway) which makes them better art boxes as well. stupid apple using hippies =P
terraboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-05, 06:00 PM   #14
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

apples are not immune to virus's...

the only reason the wintel platform has a disproportionate number of security flaws is coz it is THE dominant platform... nothing else comes even close...

comparing apples to apples (pardon the pun) the osx/nix platforms would have an equal number of issues because no matter how secure one's app may be... the coding is not going to be perfect...
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-05, 06:53 PM   #15
oldsk00l

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar
apples are not immune to virus's...

the only reason the wintel platform has a disproportionate number of security flaws is coz it is THE dominant platform... nothing else comes even close...

comparing apples to apples (pardon the pun) the osx/nix platforms would have an equal number of issues because no matter how secure one's app may be... the coding is not going to be perfect...
You're right in that they are not immune to virii.

The only real tangible security advantage is in Linux distros that REQUIRE the use of a root password. This is only due to the methodology of usage, by most users running on administrative accounts and opening crap emails and opening files downloaded from malicious websites...or p2p programs.

I honestly think, security-wise, Windows/OSx/Linux are all on the same playing field. FreeBSD, however, IS far more secure than the "big three". However, to run and use a FreeBSD requires a technical competency, that would make such a user safe on just about any OS anyways.
Old 03-05-05, 07:47 PM   #16
nutcrackr
Super Registered User

Quote:
We've often heard about the "Megahertz Myth" -- the idea that Macs can perform as well as or better than PCs despite their lower clock speeds, and that's true for some operations. Games don't work that way, though: there's no substitute for CPU cycles when it comes to games like this
AMD 64's are clocked much lower than G5's yet perform much better in games than even the 3.4ghz p4 monsters. Just not suited for gaming I guess.
nutcrackr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-05, 08:06 PM   #17
Viral
Registered User of Women

Quote:
We've often heard about the "Megahertz Myth" -- the idea that Macs can perform as well as or better than PCs despite their lower clock speeds, and that's true for some operations. Games don't work that way, though: there's no substitute for CPU cycles when it comes to games like this. Many tests we've seen are based on Pentium systems working at higher clock speeds than this Power Mac G5, so that should be considered -- scaling up the G5's framerate numbers proportionally helps reduce that gap.
What a moron. It's been a while since I've heard from one of these people stuck in the Intel vs. Apple world.

Yep, only Macs have processors with a higher IPC than the P4. No other processor exists! Yep, there is certainly no processor out now that totally owns P4's in games despite it's much lower clock speed! MHz > All for games!

Acer TravelMate 4002WNLCi: Pentium M 725 @ 1.6GHz | Mobility Radeon 9700/64MB | 2GB DDR400 | 15.4" WXGA
Viral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-05, 08:11 PM   #18
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcrackr
AMD 64's are clocked much lower than G5's yet perform much better in games than even the 3.4ghz p4 monsters. Just not suited for gaming I guess.
it's the MAC MYTH...

their proc's perform better in their advertising than others... it's in real world apps and games that they are simply not up to scratch...

reality sucks
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-05, 09:09 PM   #19
ChrisRay

My god thats awful.. I get well over 150 FPS with the tic disabled.. in Doom 3 @ 1156x864.. with no Anti Aliasing..
|CPU: Intel I7 Lynnfield @ 3.0 Ghz|Mobo:Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer |Memory:8 Gigs DDR3 1333|Video:Geforce GTX 295 Quad SLI|Monitor:Samsung Syncmaster 1680x1080 3D Vision\/Olevia 27 Inch Widescreen HDTV 1920x1080

|CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.5 Ghz|Mobo:Asus M3n HT Deluxe Nforce 780A|Memory: 4 gigs DDR2 800| Video: Geforce GTX 280x2 SLI

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

NVIDIA User Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members
ChrisRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-05, 05:02 AM   #20
Dot50Cal

Well I guess im the only one who noticed the "superiority complex" by the news poster. It really makes nvnews look bad imo. Its well known that mac's just cant compete with PC's but why do you feel the need to add dickhead comments like "hang with the big boys now" "#of fps playable!?".
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB)
Creative GigaWorks S750 7.1
Dot50Cal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-05, 05:28 AM   #21
MUYA

Send a message via MSN to MUYA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dot50Cal
..feel the need to add dickhead comments ...
The use of expletives also do not carry any weight here dot50cal. It doesn't lend/add any credibilty for you with anyone here. Be warned use of such expletives is strictly forbidden.

It was hardly a "nyeer nyeer nyeerrr" post, just something you didn't see eye to eye. Something you maybe making a big deal out of for nothing.

And seriously the one post make looks nV news bad? Honestly.
Corsair K90 - Corsair Venegance 2000 Headset - Razer Naga Epic
Corsair 600T Case
MUYA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-05, 06:13 AM   #22
Sgt_Pitt

why all the laughter ? its obvious macs arent meant for gaming, at least they have the option of playing the game now. They gotta start somewhere, im sure if you give it a few more years they'll get it sorted out.
Old 03-06-05, 06:21 AM   #23
ChrisRay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt_Pitt
why all the laughter ? its obvious macs arent meant for gaming, at least they have the option of playing the game now. They gotta start somewhere, im sure if you give it a few more years they'll get it sorted out.

I dont think people are particularly "laughing". Its just apple has been touting the MAC CPUS as the fastest thing ever built. Which bury PCS in perfornance. Obviously. Thats not the case. I dont understand the point of having a fast processor if you dont game. "Most" applications dont require it. Admittedly there are some exceptions. But I cant see paying top of the line for some mac system that cant even game. You'd be better off buying just a slower mac system. The point I think alot of people have been emphasizing is it really draws alot of questions into apples marketing scheme currently.
|CPU: Intel I7 Lynnfield @ 3.0 Ghz|Mobo:Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer |Memory:8 Gigs DDR3 1333|Video:Geforce GTX 295 Quad SLI|Monitor:Samsung Syncmaster 1680x1080 3D Vision\/Olevia 27 Inch Widescreen HDTV 1920x1080

|CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.5 Ghz|Mobo:Asus M3n HT Deluxe Nforce 780A|Memory: 4 gigs DDR2 800| Video: Geforce GTX 280x2 SLI

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

NVIDIA User Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members
ChrisRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-05, 07:39 AM   #24
Seoulstriker

I am shocked at the numbers there. After so many months of optomization, that's the best they can do? That's really sad for my mac brethren. It's extremely puzzling, but at the heart of the matter, I think ATi just sucks at making drivers for mac. Apple needs to move to nVidia.
Seoulstriker is offline   Reply With Quote