Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-10-05, 11:05 PM   #25
Vagrant Zero
I'm a Back Door Man

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant Zero
Default Re: Nintendo about to mess up new console?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsk00l
THERE IS ONLY ONE good thing about Nintendo, right now, and it's that their head honcho told Steve Ballmer to lick his yellow balls. I nearly bought a gamecube solely because of that, however I realized all the GC games are teh suck and I went with xbox instead.
Hm, hate to break it to you but that interview was a fake. There was no yellow ball licking telling off.
Vagrant Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-05, 12:45 AM   #26
GlowStick
CoD4!

Send a message via AIM to GlowStick

Well it makes sence for nintendo to make a 'diffrent' style console.

Here is the reasons

1) There is no way on EARTH they can compete with Sony and Microsoft graphics wise. Sony and MS are bringing out the big guns graphics power wise. Nintendo cant even imagine what they are up against.

2) They cant even fathom to delpy something like Xbox Like or PS2 online, that is a requirement for any console now adays.

So if they dont eather make a new legitimit breakthrough in gameing thats not 'graphics power' that somehow makes their games so incredibly fun, they are gonna be screwed.

Nintendo needs to eather develop games for Microsoft or Sony or <drumroll> PC.

Here is a good list of reasons why they should go to PC.
  • Huge pre-installed user base
  • Grossly overpowers 'next gen' consoles in graphics
  • Pre-installed netowrking infastructure

However, they would still need a gimik to survive the vetrans of computer gameing. Id say they should include a diffrent controler for every game. That really would stop piracy (and the controler dosnet even have to act as a dongle) but just make the game innovative enough where you need the dam thing to enjoy it. ETC like the bongo donkey kong thing, or the Resident evil chainsaw contorler.

Just some random thoughs
Old 03-11-05, 02:29 AM   #27
Rakeesh

Witness the coming of the next generation of sega saturn

I still remember back around early 1996, the coming generation of consoles from the top three (sony, nintendo, sega,) nintendo and sony were pushing the highest powered consoles, while sega was left in the dirt with what seemed like "slower" hardware. Sega was counting solely on their brand specific franchises (e.g. sonic, toejam and earl, et al.) for the success of the saturn, and not on the capabilities of their hardware. History is already repeating, only in this case the "sega" is now nintendo.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-05, 06:58 AM   #28
vampireuk
**** Holster

Send a message via AIM to vampireuk

I can't see why people are taking shots at the N64, it had plenty of awesome games that kept me entertained. Perfect Dark on the other hand was the most overhyped crap game I have EVER played. The multiplayer absolutely sucked.
Old 03-11-05, 12:33 PM   #29
a4164
NV2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlowStick
1) There is no way on EARTH they can compete with Sony and Microsoft graphics wise. Sony and MS are bringing out the big guns graphics power wise. Nintendo cant even imagine what they are up against.

2) They cant even fathom to delpy something like Xbox Like or PS2 online, that is a requirement for any console now adays.
I'm going to have to disagree with your first point because Nintendo is also getting an IBM CPU and ATI VPU for its console. In addition it will probably be out a year after Xbox 2 launches (Fall 2005 vs Fall/Late 2006). I think Revolution will hold its own graphics wise. Nintendo just revealed their codenames at GDC:

IBM Broadway CPU
ATI Hollywood VPU

As for your second point. Nintendo also announced that Revolution will have built in Wi-Fi (just like DS) and are committed to online gaming.

I also love that Revolution will be backwards compatible with GameCube.

http://cube.ign.com/articles/594/594935p1.html
a4164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-05, 12:43 PM   #30
GlowStick
CoD4!

Send a message via AIM to GlowStick

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4164
I'm going to have to disagree with your first point because Nintendo is also getting an IBM CPU and ATI VPU for its console. In addition it will probably be out a year after Xbox 2 launches (Fall 2005 vs Fall/Late 2006). I think Revolution will hold its own graphics wise. Nintendo just revealed their codenames at GDC:

IBM Broadway CPU
ATI Hollywood VPU

As for your second point. Nintendo also announced that Revolution will have built in Wi-Fi (just like DS) and are committed to online gaming.

I also love that Revolution will be backwards compatible with GameCube.
There isnt many companys that offer cpu and vpus out there, so naturaly they will have to buy from the same source.

However, since Nintendo them self are even admitting that they are focusing more on a gimic factor and gameplay they are admitting that they cannot compete graphcis wise. As to them being commited to online gameing. Sony and Microsoft are the ones commited, Nintendo is on the 'that would be a nice idea' stage.
Old 03-11-05, 12:48 PM   #31
a4164
NV2

Quote:
The company head outlined the publisher's philosophies in regard to its next-generation console, which is codenamed Revolution. Iwata once more reiterated that while cutting edge graphics and audio are to be expected, Nintendo hopes to deliver a new gaming dynamic that will enhance the way players enjoy its software.

great graphics + new gameplay feature

the Nintendo DS has been Nintendo's first venture into true online support and will be carried over to Revolution.
Old 03-11-05, 12:50 PM   #32
Vagrant Zero
I'm a Back Door Man

Quote:

great graphics + new gameplay feature

the Nintendo DS has been Nintendo's first venture into true online support and will be carried over to Revolution.
Nintendo also considers the DS "cutting edge" graphics, so ya, maybe you shouldn't take their PR Spin at face value. The Revolution will probabley be the weakest links as far as graphics is concerned, with the PS3 standing a bit above the XBox2.

Old 03-11-05, 12:53 PM   #33
a4164
NV2

fair enough. but with Revolution coming out months after Xbox 2, I think it will be at least as powerful as Microsoft's offering.

I like ATI's PR spin as well:

Quote:
"We're excited to be developing the graphics chip set for Revolution, which continues our longstanding relationship with Nintendo," explained Dave Orton, ATI Technologies' president and chief executive officer. "As the leading graphics provider, ATI is committed to delivering exceptional visual performance that enables consumers to interact with new and visually compelling digital worlds. ATI is proud to support Nintendo's innovative contributions to gaming."
Old 03-11-05, 01:10 PM   #34
Vagrant Zero
I'm a Back Door Man

Heh, they don't even mention what kind of chip it is. We know ATIs uber next-gen part is going to MS. I hope Nintendo doesn't get the leftovers.
Old 03-11-05, 01:33 PM   #35
a4164
NV2

My thinking is as follows:

SGI team did N64 graphics (Reality Co-Processor)
That SGI team left to form ArtX which did Flipper (GameCube)
Dave Orton of ArtX became CEO of ATI and most of ArtX is part of ATI's West Coast team (Silicon Valley).

It was announced that ATI's East Coast team (Marlborough) is doing R500 for Xbox 2. I believe they did R100 and R200.

Of course ATI's West Coast team went on to make R3xx and R4xx, with R520 on the way. R600 is a product of all three of ATI's teams (Silicon Valley, Marlborough and Orlando).

My hopes are that Hollywood is being done by ATI's West Coast team (Silicon Valley) and is a variant of R520 or even R600. But if I'm wrong, dreams don't cost a thing.
Old 03-11-05, 05:59 PM   #36
Mr_LoL
Bush's Doppleganger

Quote:
My thinking is as follows:

SGI team did N64 graphics (Reality Co-Processor)
That SGI team left to form ArtX which did Flipper (GameCube)
Dave Orton of ArtX became CEO of ATI and most of ArtX is part of ATI's West Coast team (Silicon Valley).

It was announced that ATI's East Coast team (Marlborough) is doing R500 for Xbox 2. I believe they did R100 and R200.

Of course ATI's West Coast team went on to make R3xx and R4xx, with R520 on the way. R600 is a product of all three of ATI's teams (Silicon Valley, Marlborough and Orlando).

My hopes are that Hollywood is being done by ATI's West Coast team (Silicon Valley) and is a variant of R520 or even R600. But if I'm wrong, dreams don't cost a thing.
What
Core i5 2500K@ 4.5, KFA2 GTX 570, Gigabyte Z68, 8GB Corsair XMS 1600MHZ, Antec Truepower New 650w, Coolermaster Storm Sniper, 1TB Samsung F1, Yamakasi Catleap 27", Samsung 245B, Asus Xonar DG...blah blah blah
Mr_LoL is offline   Reply With Quote