Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-07-05, 10:13 AM   #1
ehsan_a

Default Incorrect screen size with Geforce4 440 Go / 6629 drivers in Debian Sarge

Hi all,

I have got a Compaq R3440CA laptop which has a 15.4" WXGA screen and an NVIDIA GeForce4 440 Go graphics card. The LCD's native screen is 1280x800, and I'm trying to get this resolution working in Debian GNU/Linux Sarge with NVIDIA's 6629 drivers.

My problem is that when X starts, a strip at the right side of the screen nearly 1/6 of the width of the screen is blank (black), and also a thin strip at the bottom of the screen is corrupted. Gnome runs on 1024x768. When I set its resolution to 1280x800, only the same portion of the screen is occupied, and I've got to scroll the screen using the mouse to access all parts of it.

I'm attaching my XF86Config-4 file. Is there anything I'm missing in the configurations? I'm not passing any parameters to the nvidia kernel module. I've tried to pass NVreg_Mobile=0 according to a post on a mailing list, but that corrupted the whole screen.

Thanks for any help!
Ehsan
Attached Files
File Type: zip XF86Config-4.zip (1.2 KB, 187 views)
ehsan_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-05, 06:42 PM   #2
creeds

Unhappy Re: Incorrect screen size with Geforce4 440 Go / 6629 drivers in Debian Sarge

I'm having the exact same problem! I have a HP Pavilion ZV5000 laptop, AMD 64 Athlon with the GeForce4 440 GO using the 6629 drivers. I am running SUSE 9.2 x86_64.

I've tried using some of the older drivers thinking maybe that would work, but no luck.

Thanks,
Creeds
creeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-05, 10:27 AM   #3
creeds

Default Re: Incorrect screen size with Geforce4 440 Go / 6629 drivers in Debian Sarge

Well, I've tried 7167 and still have the same problem.

Does anyone have any ideas on this?

Thank you,
creeds
Old 03-19-05, 11:25 AM   #4
creeds

Default Re: Incorrect screen size with Geforce4 440 Go / 6629 drivers in Debian Sarge

Hey Ehsan,

Found the solution for the Pavilion ZV5000. Maybe this will work for you too. You could ignore everything except the "nVidia and Widescreen" section. I'm betting you could modify this section to work for your system.

Thanks,
Creeds
Old 03-19-05, 12:31 PM   #5
ehsan_a

Hi Creeds,

Sorry I didn't post the solution I've found sooner.

I had this problem both in the x86 version of the 6629 as well as the amd64 version of 7167, and it was solved by passing the following parameters to the nvidia kernel module:

NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=0

You could set them in your distro's module parameters file.

Ehsan
Old 03-21-05, 10:52 AM   #6
riedi

Thumbs up Incorrect screen size with Geforce4 440 Go / nvidia 6629 and 7167

General comment :
Thanks for the module parameter tricks from below... Was fighting with my "broken" screen for half a day... Hard to google anything relevant as there seem to be quite a number of issues with the nvidia driver and 2.6 kernel but anyway.
So finally, if your screen shows up at a wrong size with a right colorful margin on the right and a bottom "mirror" then the solution is definitely what was mentionned below aka :

modprobe nvidia NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=0

And it simply works... ;o)) Yiiaaahaaa !!

After all, thanks to nvidia for this driver which all considered is somewhat nice. And to the xorg/nv folks for the basic features that are already tremendeous for everyday work.

But once again :
modprobe nvidia NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=0

... just to make sure this is referenced correctly and easy to find for others ;o)
riedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-05, 11:08 AM   #7
pete4nv

Send a message via ICQ to pete4nv Send a message via AIM to pete4nv Send a message via Yahoo to pete4nv

I was not as successful with that approach. I had to downgrade to 1.0.6111 and make some tweaks. I wrote a detailed HOWTO for it. Of course, if those two command line parameters worked for you, then you don't need this! Otherwise, read on.

http://www.peterhyman.com/dl/HPLaptop-nVidia-HOWTO

HTH
pete4nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-05, 09:05 PM   #8
ewitte

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehsan_a
Hi all,

I have got a Compaq R3440CA laptop which has a 15.4" WXGA screen and an NVIDIA GeForce4 440 Go graphics card. The LCD's native screen is 1280x800, and I'm trying to get this resolution working in Debian GNU/Linux Sarge with NVIDIA's 6629 drivers.

My problem is that when X starts, a strip at the right side of the screen nearly 1/6 of the width of the screen is blank (black), and also a thin strip at the bottom of the screen is corrupted. Gnome runs on 1024x768. When I set its resolution to 1280x800, only the same portion of the screen is occupied, and I've got to scroll the screen using the mouse to access all parts of it.

I'm attaching my XF86Config-4 file. Is there anything I'm missing in the configurations? I'm not passing any parameters to the nvidia kernel module. I've tried to pass NVreg_Mobile=0 according to a post on a mailing list, but that corrupted the whole screen.

Thanks for any help!
Ehsan
Nvidia is only using vertical EDID to determine max resolution. Here is my workaround:

rename /usr/X11R6/lib64/modules/libddc.a
I copied librac? to replace the file. After than it takes whatevery you put in the config file. I'm running 1280x768 just fine now (used timings from windows). Now to try for my full 1366x768

Eric
ewitte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-05, 11:12 PM   #9
ehsan_a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewitte
Nvidia is only using vertical EDID to determine max resolution. Here is my workaround:

rename /usr/X11R6/lib64/modules/libddc.a
I copied librac? to replace the file. After than it takes whatevery you put in the config file. I'm running 1280x768 just fine now (used timings from windows). Now to try for my full 1366x768
Thanks for the tip, Eric! It seems cool. I wonder if I can get anything more than 1280x800 (since it seems to be the flat panel's native resolution) but I'll give it a try, and of course not having to pass those parameters seems at least more, hmm, let's put it this way, clean!

Ehsan
Old 03-22-05, 12:22 PM   #10
ehsan_a

Eric,

I tried your suggestion about replacing libddc.a, and it didn't work. The XF86 log files now say that module ddc does not have the ddcModuleData data object, and can't load it, so it goes on without EDID information, and of course, corrupted display.

Any more hints?

Thanks!
Ehsan
Old 03-22-05, 04:10 PM   #11
ewitte

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehsan_a
Eric,

I tried your suggestion about replacing libddc.a, and it didn't work. The XF86 log files now say that module ddc does not have the ddcModuleData data object, and can't load it, so it goes on without EDID information, and of course, corrupted display.

Any more hints?

Thanks!
Ehsan
If the display is corrupted it has to have something to do with your modeline. I got mine from windows using the viewsonic EDID utility. It dumped all of my setthings for me.

Eric
ewitte is offline   Reply With Quote