Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-09-05, 11:38 PM   #1
quantumanomaly

Default FIX for GeForce 6 Series Badness under linux

First and foremost - I must stress this to you : The following repair MAY void your warranty, and it also MAY damage your card if not done properly. What I am trying to say is : DO THIS UNDER YOUR OWN RISK!

Well, I tried just about everything to get my BfG 6800 ultra OC pcie card to work under linux. It kept giving me the "blocky bits" all over the screen, and my computer crashing 90% of the time was no better either!. Out of desperation - I attempted to flash my bios. And surprise surprise! It worked!

Here's how to go about it:
You will need
-A blank floppy (I know - incredible.)
-Nibitor (From mkvtech.net)
-The latest bios for your card (From mkvtech.net)
-nvflash (mkvtech.net)

------------------------------------------------
First things first, since niBiTor is quite nasty about reading the device Ids, format the disk into a DOS boot diskette and add the nvflash.exe, along with the other binaries in it's directory. Boot into it, and then run
Code:
 nvflash --save
That will create a good image for you to determine the device Ids, and it will also output them for you.
Go into nBiTor, and then open the image you downloaded for your video card. MAKE SURE IT IS PCIe FOR A PCIe CARD AND AGP FOR AN AGP CARD!
It's a good idea to equalise the clockspeeds on both 3d and 2d engines - so if your card is set at 425mhz 3d, and 400mhz 2d (bfg does this) - bump 2d up to 425mhz. Or, if youre paranoid, 3d goes down to 400mhz with little loss of preformance.

Then, go into the Advanced Info tab (or whatever its name may be, it must contain the device Ids.) And type in all of the device Ids you got from the output line of nvflash. Remember - the first value, also known as manofacturer id is NOT TO BE MESSED WITH!

Save this bios, and copy it over to your floppy disk, then reboot and do
Code:
 nvflash yourflashimage.rom
from the floppy to reflash your card.
After the process is complete, your card should certainly run a lot better under linux, or like an entierly new card! I stopped my crashes with this wee fix

Cheers. See if it works!

Last edited by quantumanomaly; 03-10-05 at 12:33 AM.
quantumanomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-05, 06:51 AM   #2
scourge

Default Re: FIX for GeForce 6 Series Badness under linux

Did the same a few days ago, no crash/instability since then.

But at least Nvidia is aware of that issue.
scourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-05, 10:56 AM   #3
bgerst

Does this fix the XID hangs/crashes?
bgerst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-05, 11:12 AM   #4
scourge

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgerst
Does this fix the XID hangs/crashes?
For me, yes. All of them.
Old 03-10-05, 11:16 AM   #5
Spyke
Foxie

Send a message via AIM to Spyke Send a message via MSN to Spyke Send a message via Yahoo to Spyke

nBiTor works just fine under wine, probably the only bios editor that does.
12GB Corsair Dominator GT @ 8-8-8-24-1T DDR3-1600 | Onkyo TX SR-707 | 70" Sharp Aquos LCD | KEF Audio 5.1 C3/C6LCR/C7
Workstation:
Intel i7 920 D0 @ 4GHz | ASUS Rampage II Extreme | GTX 480 @ 800Mhz | Koolance VID-NX480 | Lian-Li V1200B | Corsair HX1000
EK NB ASUS HP | Watercool HeatKiller 3.0 | Feser Extreme X-360 | 2x160GB Intel X25-M SSD RAID0 | 4x2TB WD20EARS RAID10
12GB Corsair Dominator @ 8-8-8-24-1T DDR3-1600 | Creative X-Fi Titanium | Pioneer DVR-212D | Gentoo Linux
Dell 3008WFP | JohnBlue JB3 | CityPulse DA2.03e II DAC | KingRex T20U w/ Modded Auricaps & PSU | Glow Audio Sub One
Server:
Quad Socket Opteron 8356 (16 cores) @ 2.3GHz | Supermicro H8QMi-2 | Supermicro 2U Chassis | Redundant 1200W PSU
32GB 2GBx16 DDR2-667 ECC | 4x 300GB Cheetah SAS RAID10 | Adaptec 5805 512MB w/BBU | Colocated | Gentoo Linux
Spyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-05, 12:13 PM   #6
mlaks

2 questions:

1) What is the bios upgrade supposed to be changing? The date on the XFX bios that is at the mkvtech site is 11/2004 while my card is dated W12/04. I am having the same problem as everyone else. What will the new bios change?

2)I notice that when I install nvidia driver with the installer, then I startx it starts up. Then if I reboot and then try startx I get a crash. I look in syslog and it says that it is failing to load apm module, cause it cant find apm.ko. Where is the apm module being requested? what can i do about this?

I have an XFX 6600 GT. This is an agp card version of the PCI. My system is dual AMD mp gigayte motherboard.

Thanks
MItchell
mlaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-05, 01:35 PM   #7
quantumanomaly

I would not really especulate about your AGP modules and all. I must admit that each distro is different and maybe what works with GenToo will wreck Debian or Mandrake.
About your bios - if the XFX bios is too old, you could try with a generic nVidia bios from mvktech.net
Old 03-10-05, 02:33 PM   #8
scourge

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantumanomaly
I
About your bios - if the XFX bios is too old, you could try with a generic nVidia bios from mvktech.net
It's not the BIOS beeing too old... it's the 2D/3D clock speeds beeing different.

Old 03-10-05, 05:31 PM   #9
quantumanomaly

I am aware of that Still, I was just commenting that if he cant find a newer XFX image he could always use generic nvidia images...
Old 03-10-05, 06:14 PM   #10
mlaks

Dear Scourge and QuantumAnomaly,
How did you figure out it was the 2d/3d speed disparity causing the crashes?
What did that.
Mitchell
mlaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-05, 08:06 PM   #11
quantumanomaly

I honestly had no idea about this - But i had read somewhere that indeed you needed to have similar clock speeds across buses for stability. Actually, I just did it out of desperation, with some inspiration from other posts in here
Old 03-26-05, 08:38 AM   #12
MadEgg

Just to add a little note: I had severe problems with my AOpen GF6800 Ultra, tried upping 2D speed to 425 MHz so that both 2D and 3D were at 425 MHz. Didn't help for my problems.
Spent days, months to find a proper solution, other driver versions, other software versions, less aggressive compile flags(Gentoo), other MoBo BIOS-ses, other vid-card BIOS-ses, none of those helped.
Till at last I figured, why not try bringing both 2D and 3D clocks down to 400 MHz instead of 425 MHz. All the crashing-problems are gone now.

So if equalizing them at 425 MHz doesn't help, try putting them on 400 anyway. The stability is worth the slight performance loss