Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-11-05, 02:24 AM   #25
Rakeesh

Default Re: Unreal Engine 3 videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
I thought they were planning on making their own engine for NS2? Although I'd be overjoyed if they decided to go with UE3 for a new NS game, that would look absolutly spectacular and fit the game perfectly.
They said they are likely to use a next generation game engine, and they said it would possibly be unreal 3 (but nothing else was mentioned.) I kinda doubt they would write their own game engine though. It would cost a lot more and take much longer.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-05, 09:28 AM   #26
Marcos
think of me not at all

Send a message via AIM to Marcos

Quote:
Originally Posted by AthlonXP1800
These new Unreal 3 demos are amazing, it made Source look like 5 years old engine.
i thought half life 2 made source look like a 5 year old engine

<-- worst. smiley. ever.
Marcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-05, 09:43 AM   #27
TheManko

I fully agree with the above statement
TheManko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-05, 04:00 PM   #28
Wylde

a physics processing unit? oh man the future is looking expensive...
Wylde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-05, 05:16 PM   #29
technews

This is so COOL !

amazing stuff
Old 03-12-05, 06:19 PM   #30
SlamDunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danhill
Btw, anyone know what card was used??
http://techreport.com/ja.zz?id=76491

Quote:
I am at GDC right now and I saw the live demo yesterday AM. It was stunning, and almost a bit unbelievable how rich the world detail was and how many damn cool lighting and rendering tricks it does. However it ran at around 30FPS and choked at times. I asked the guy what kind of system requirments it had and he said 'DX9 Video Card'. Ok, thats reasonable. Then I asked him what was the test machine and he said

'Dual P4 EE with Dual Geforce 6800Ultras'.
By the way, here's my little AGEIA PhysX info page containing all the info and links I know:

http://personal.inet.fi/atk/kjh2348fs/ageia_physx.html
SlamDunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-05, 09:59 PM   #31
Nv40
Agent-Fx

Quote:
am at GDC right now and I saw the live demo yesterday AM. It was stunning, and almost a bit unbelievable how rich the world detail was and how many damn cool lighting and rendering tricks it does. However it ran at around 30FPS and choked at times. I asked the guy what kind of system requirments it had and he said 'DX9 Video Card'. Ok, thats reasonable. Then I asked him what was the test machine and he said

'Dual P4 EE with Dual Geforce 6800Ultras'.
There is nothing to worry. By the time Unreal3 engine games are finished..Q1-Q2 2006 .. we will have Nv50's and R520's capable of SLI. those should be around 2xtimes faster each one, than the faster GPus today.. at least. and Intel and AMD in 2006 (next year) will have more faster processors.. SO enthusiast gamers will be able to play the game at ultra quality mode without problems. and for the less fortunate people with Geforce6600gt and Radeons9700.. they still will be able to play the game.. albeit lowering the graphics is some way.. JUst like any other game outthere.
Nv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-05, 10:04 PM   #32
jolle

Also the content of the games using the engine will be scaled to fit the target audience..
"engine demoing" content is usually designed to be as highres as you could possibly go with the bleeding edge hardware available..
To show of what the ENGINE can do, and also cause when its finally out in the from of a game some time will have passed and faster hardware will be around..
even so, the games will have to run on "relativly lowend" machines when they come around, so it might be reasonable to expect the first games to run on current "2nd generation DX9 hardware" on "mediumish" settings.. dunno..

We have seen screens on a UE3.0 powered MMO game, which didnt feature quite as highres content as what was demoed with the engine when we first saw it, which caused some stir among some people hehe..

Old 03-12-05, 10:21 PM   #33
Neova

PPU sounds cool but I would think a dual CPU / dual core system (quad cpu) would be more economically viable and usable in the near future, than a stand alone physics only calculator.

If Epic can enable smp for cpu heavy threads, that would be a boost already and makes more sense.

The last video was very cool. I would have love to see the geometry in there. GTA, Quake, HL or Unreal World online with mods would rock in these new engines.

Can't wait till 2008 to play them though.

edit: I just checked the posts for the PPU and its about 3000-4000x faster than todays cpu. Would definately be a cool addition in this case:

"Current games running on PC systems with high-end desktop processors, such as the Intel Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon 64, can support roughly 30 to 40 "active bodies," or physical objects that can interact with each other in-game. This limitation doesn't give developers much to work with in terms of physics simulation. Simulating a building blowing up in real time is impossible with such a small number of fragments, but increase the active body count to 32,000 or 40,000, which the Ageia PhysX PPU can handle, and then you'll have an explosion to talk about. "
Neova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-05, 10:26 PM   #34
jolle

a side effect is freeing up the CPU for more AI work aswell.
Old 03-12-05, 11:15 PM   #35
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

Yup. heres hoping that we get some better AI after that is released