Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-14-05, 11:26 AM   #109
alex31

Default Re: 1.0-7167 for Linux x86 released

uh, didnt notice this forum is in english, sorry.

the same in bad english.

I have successfully installed 7167 driver on my box, compile, install,
xrandr rotate, all is working fine.

But (yes there is a but ), as an openGl developper, i have meet several problems

1/ glBlendColor make my apps to segfault

2/ I have no more shading language capabilities, neither Cg nor glsl apps works, even after recompiling them. I use latest Cg 1.3, but with 7167 drivers the drivers report that the card has no shading capabilities like if i was using an old geforce 3 card, but it is not the case, i use a FX5950, and with 6629 drivers i could use vp30 and fp30 profile.

So does anybody with 7167 have been able to use shading language capabilities, or is it a general driver problem ?

ps: In my prec post in french, i have attached my nvidia-bug-report.log
ps2 : i have read the thread and i have seen that some have temperature problems, it's not my case and the card remains as cool as before.

Alexandre
alex31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-05, 12:02 PM   #110
alex31

Resolved.

I have installed zander unified patch pour 7167, and all my problems are gone,
glBlendColor run as it does, and my Cg apps works fine.

Cool, thanks for theses patchs and this release.

Alexandre
alex31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-05, 01:05 PM   #111
mborgnia
Quadro4 500 GoGL

I am disappointed to notice that the resolution problem with the Dell notebooks has not been solved yet. I still get the garbled stuff to the right and the cloned top of my screen to the bottom. It all goes away when using the now traditional change in os-registry.c from NVreg_Mobile = ~0 to NVreg_Mobile = 0. NOTICE that this is DIFFERENT from what is recommended in the README file, as the recommended fix does not work.
One more problem has been added, for the first time in 3 years, my machine came to a complete lock after installing new NVIDIA drivers. Meanwhile, I am back to 6229.
And, as expected, power management is still broken.

I read through the 8 pages of this thread and some more without finding any solution to these.

The most amazing feature is the total silence of NVIDIA developers about this issue... A real bummer.

FYI: I tried all combinations of settings with and without editing os-registry.c
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
System is Dell Precision M50. Nvidia Quadro 500 GoGL
Attached Files
File Type: txt Xorg.0.log.txt (29.4 KB, 166 views)

Last edited by mborgnia; 03-14-05 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Add log file
mborgnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-05, 01:20 PM   #112
Miggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thargor3
I successfully installed the 1.0-7167 driver today. My box is:

Athlon XP2700
512 Mb Ram
GeForce 4 Ti 4600
kernel Mandrake 2.6.10-1mdk

I could not install from the installer as it could not find the sources.
I could not install with the '--add-this-kernel' option as it could not
find the sources.

Remedy:-

edit /etc/inittab - change init from 5 to 3 (single user mode)
reboot
rmmod nvidia
modprobe -q agpart
sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7167-pkg1.run -e

Accept the default settings except name the kernel sources as
/usr/src/linux(your kernel)

edit /etc/inittab - change init from 3 (single user mode) to 5 (gui mode)

reboot

A little bit messy but works fine

HTH
Graham
I have the same problem that the kernel source can't be found.
Tried all suggestions in this forum. Nothing helped.
I'm running ubuntu 4.10 with a custom built kernel.
I'm attaching my nvidia-installer log. It's the one that is generated when I start the installer without any option (yes, i've tried the options like kernel-source etc.).Perhaps somebody can give me a hint.
Thanks in advance.
Miggy
Attached Files
File Type: txt nvidia-installer_log.txt (3.1 KB, 172 views)
Miggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-05, 01:29 PM   #113
AlxMAX

Well, I have given this new driver a try, but the problem is still there: my laptop locks! Have a look at this description or at this thread in order to see my attempts to make my laptop work.
Old 03-14-05, 02:14 PM   #114
audia6t

AMD2500+ with 1gb Dual DDR and a high-end Gigabyte MB. SuSE 9.2 Kernel 2.4.8.24xx Won't go into great detail, but so far I haven't had a OS lock up. Before, I would most likely have something annoying happen every day, as everyone else has. Also, a comment related to someone above who talked about an issue with KDE. I have noticed recently, even before upgrading to the new NV driver, that KDE tends to go haywire. Most of the time you just can't run most programs, especially Mozilla base Internet and mail. For example, I left KDE running over night with the fancy fireworks w/sound screen saver running and this morning I could not open any application. Another error I've seen is the Arts sound will sometimes error out, especially after running the screen saver (seen it other times as well). I'm using Gnome for now to see if I get any of these issues. If all goes well, which I suspect it will, I may look into upgrading KDE to the latest version which I think will solve this. I think I am running 3.3.1 with all of the updates installed. But, the wise man will check the NV driver thoroughly before making other changes. Good luck to all and to all a good BYTE. JB
audia6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-05, 03:15 PM   #115
reteguin

I get a black screen and the computer freezes with driver 1.0-7167.

Software: FC3 2.6.10-1.770_FC3, xorg 6.8.1-12.
Hardware: Dell Inspiron 8100, GeForce2 32MB VRAM. PIII

I also tried with kernel 2.6.9-1.667.

Any clues?

I got no clue in logs.

Xorg.0.log ends with:
(--) NVIDIA(0): MMIO registers at 0xFC000000,

The next line should be:
(II) NVIDIA(0): NVIDIA GPU detected as: GeForce2 Go

Thanks.
reteguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-05, 05:50 PM   #116
dave_maxwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightdragon
I am having the same issues with KDE. I was going through all the usual of recompiling cvs updates to KDE 3.4-cvs thinking it was something wrong with my compiling. That was done because Gnome worked fine, just selected kde apps broke down. Things like the ksplash, konqueror on some accounts and konsole..

Megadittos. I had to fiddle with ksplash to even get KDE to load. Once loaded, it is only a matter of time before the UI will freeze. I can inconsistently crash it surfing with Konqueror. I can cause the freeze consistently by running the Windows Firstclass groupware client with Wine but that could be a bit hard to reproduce.

I can tell you a bit more about this. I can ssh into the machine after X has frozen. The "X" process will be taking anywhere from 44% to 99% CPU. It will not respond to the plain kill command but kill -9 will terminate it. KDM then restarts X normally and I can continue with the desktop until it freezes again. The kernel itself seems to be unaffected; this can happen with X restarted remotely any number of times. There isn't anything in /var/log/kern.log or in /var/log/xorg.log. The machine is running kernel 2.6.10 and is basically an Ubuntu machine at this point.

The machine performed very well with the 6629 drivers. On the bright side, at least I can get full use out my pivoting LCD panel until my desktop freezes yet again.
dave_maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-05, 06:06 PM   #117
mborgnia
Quadro4 500 GoGL

Thumbs down Re: 1.0-7167 for Linux x86 released

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_maxwell
Megadittos. I had to fiddle with ksplash to even get KDE to load. Once loaded, it is only a matter of time before the UI will freeze. I can inconsistently crash it surfing with Konqueror. I can cause the freeze consistently by running the Windows Firstclass groupware client with Wine but that could be a bit hard to reproduce.

I can tell you a bit more about this. I can ssh into the machine after X has frozen. The "X" process will be taking anywhere from 44% to 99% CPU. It will not respond to the plain kill command but kill -9 will terminate it. KDM then restarts X normally and I can continue with the desktop until it freezes again. The kernel itself seems to be unaffected; this can happen with X restarted remotely any number of times. There isn't anything in /var/log/kern.log or in /var/log/xorg.log. The machine is running kernel 2.6.10 and is basically an Ubuntu machine at this point.

The machine performed very well with the 6629 drivers. On the bright side, at least I can get full use out my pivoting LCD panel until my desktop freezes yet again.
The freeze is clearly KDE independent, it is happening to me in Gnome. But, unfortunately, the support team seems to stop reading this forum after the kudos...
mborgnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-05, 06:07 PM   #118
ijuma82

Quote:
I had to fiddle with ksplash to even get KDE to load. Once loaded, it is only a matter of time before the UI will freeze.
I am having the exact same problem using kernel 2.6.11.3, which makes this driver completely unusable. The previous drivers (6629), with the recommended patched applied, work without a problem. This is on a laptop with a geforce 4 go 64MB.
ijuma82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-05, 06:29 PM   #119
cmarco

7167 segfaults in certain places of Doom 3 (air locks for example), it was ok with 6629.

FC3, 2.6.10-1.770_FC3smp
P4 3.2GHz on an Asus P4P800, 1G RAM
Gigabyte GeForce 6800 (fanless)

Is anyone with similar hardware see this too ?
cmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-05, 11:40 PM   #120
IronMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_maxwell
I didn't have any trouble with KDE 3.4 rc1 starting like normal, but the machine has locked hard several times since installing the 7167 drivers (linux 2.6.11.3). To reproduce this lock up, all I have to do is start a large file transfer across the network and within minutes the machine is dead. I have reinstall the old 6629, and everything is fine again.
IronMan is offline   Reply With Quote