Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-22-05, 01:53 PM   #25
Ironi

Default Re: 7167, Xorg freezes (Xid: 13)

The solution for me was to enable "GW-Write Mask AGP Request" in the advanced memory timing area of my system's BIOS. I'm not sure what it does exactly (Google doesn't shed any light on it), but I've narrowed down the cause of the freezes to that -- at least on my system. It might be named differently or even missing entirely in other BIOS configurations; YMMV.
Ironi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-05, 10:11 AM   #26
tru

same issue here: mouse moving but no keyboard. Remote access/ssh fine.
2.4.21-27.0.2.ELsmp/CentOS release 3.4 (final) x86_64

additional information:
0) window manager: xfce4, no GL applications running, just some xterm + firefox
1) strace on the X process (eating 100% on on cpu) yields:

--- SIGALRM (Alarm clock) @ 0 (0) ---
rt_sigreturn(0xe <unfinished ...>
--- SIGALRM (Alarm clock) @ 0 (0) ---
<... rt_sigreturn resumed> ) = -1 ENOSYS (Function not implemented)

ad vitam

2) pkill -9 X can kill the runaway process
3) nvidia-bug-report.log.gz

4) NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-1.0-7167-pkg2.run driver patched with NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-7167-03.11.2005.diff.txt
from http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=47405
Attached Files
File Type: txt nvidia-bug-report.log.txt (87.0 KB, 328 views)

Last edited by tru; 03-24-05 at 10:56 AM.
tru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-05, 05:33 PM   #27
Madera

Oh my God. I made up the post about my system freezing. Well, now that I got to see this forum I'll put in my three cents.

I can restore my machine by pinging on it from another machine. I swear!! I'm not wrong on this one! I tested it about a million times and after I ping it in another machine (I'm in a dozen-or-so computer lab, btw) it runs out of the freeze.

I read some system info it BEFORE the freeze and then AFTER the ping that made it stable.

The dmesg showed me that the ping command made the NVIDIA driver to abort comething and display the

NVRM: Xid: 16, Head 00000000 Count 00000000

So I have the ping relation to it. I have an on-board VIA-Rhine.

Also, my X server is 99% CPU. This is strange... after the ping all becomes stable, but it still uses about 50-60%, wich is enourmous.

Hope this helps our search for the truth (dramatic, huh?)
Rodrigo
I like to do business.
Madera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-05, 10:00 PM   #28
kmare

Send a message via ICQ to kmare

ppl having freeze problems should try lowering the agp rate. Eg from 8x to 4x. Some ppl reported that it helped... no more freezes... btw: I don't have freezes at all with my fx5900 and the latest drivers, I'm really happy about it. The only thing that I'd like to have is to be able to run opengl apps together with composite without crashes... although I understand it might not really be a nvidia problem...
kmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-05, 03:07 AM   #29
geekux

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmare
ppl having freeze problems should try lowering the agp rate. Eg from 8x to 4x.
I lowered it to 2x, didn't help...
geekux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-05, 06:08 PM   #30
nramenta

mine is worse, the cursor also freezes, and when I change to tty there's nothing any sane person can understand except randomly placed pixels. I think the culprit is in 7167 somewhere.. (stopped using it since)
nramenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-05, 08:49 PM   #31
Anyeos

Default Xorg freezes

Hi all.
I have the same problem. My XOrg freezes but the mouse still can be moved.
And X appears to still capture mouse and keyboard events but they cannot be processed.

My /var/log/messages sayed:
Mar 27 23:05:53 laguna NVRM: Xid: 6, PE0000 0404 ffffffff 0000fdf8 000e6400 ffffffff

When I pressed the keyboard (all keys) the messages say too:
Mar 27 23:06:48 laguna atkbd.c: Keyboard on isa0060/serio0 reports too many keys pressed.

I only can capture this information from a remote ssh session via network.
When I kill X the keyboard still stay hangued up and the screen become black (As in text mode but without control of this and without cursor too).

I note that when I switch to text mode (in all recent nvidia cards) I give an modified text mode. For example I loss the font, I must reset the font with the command "setfont". And too I lost the colors, for example the green color now become less bright. And too in a moment I loss completely the bright and I see all characters in a weak gray color. When I return to Graphic mode I still have all ok. But when I switch to text mode all bad.

This error is present from the oldests versions of the nvidia driver. Maybe they never corrected it.
Now, I have this card:
nVidia Corporation NV18 [GeForce4 MX 440 AGP 8x]

With this card I have the hang up problem. But with a card NV17 (4X) I don't have that problem but I always have the text mode problems.

Too, the TV out works some bad. I see some interference in the TV. But with the recent driver (1.0.6629-r1) I see the TV more clean than the oldest.

I don't know why all that problems are present. But I guess that is an nvidia driver problem, not XORG or your hardware or your mother.

I will let they work in that. So, now, I only can help with this information.

Note: In 24 bit mode appears to be more stable. For now I use 24 bit mode.

Some other note is what activating "FastWrite" and "SBA" or deactivating it don't make sense in the hang up, the hang up still appears.
Other curiosly thing is that this hang up appears to be present when I open GTK applications (mozilla for example). Maybe the developers of the nvidia driver can study the GTK so that can help for found the problem.
Other think is what I have been setted the AGP Aperture in 64 MB, now I was set it in 128 MB. I will se the difference.

Ok, bye for now. If I see some other anomalious things I will try to notify it.
Bye!
Anyeos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-05, 10:42 PM   #32
Anyeos

Default XOrg Freezes (another interesting things)

Another interesting thing is that Mozilla uses FreeType. Maybe FreeType trying to render the fonts just make hang the nvidia driver.

Now I will try to update XORG from 6.8.0-r4 to 6.8.2-r1.
The version of XOrg what I reported the previous message was using XOrg 6.8.0-r4
I guess that XOrg is not really the problem. I only will update XOrg to solve some other kind of problems.
And now I have the nvidia driver 1.0.6629-r1
I'm using Gentoo.

Bye
Anyeos is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-05, 05:33 PM   #33
neoyagami

me too.. y mi X(xfree) freez and the KB dies.. (by ssh y can use) the dmesg. the same Xid 13.

but i downgrade the driver to a 6111 and the problem go away..

now i dont have problems.. aniway y send the nvidia-bug-report to nvida ... may it help to fix the problem...
neoyagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-05, 05:35 PM   #34
neoyagami

d
neoyagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-05, 05:48 PM   #35
kmare

Send a message via ICQ to kmare

lately I having the same problems too.. the thing is that it only happens when I start a 3d app.. if I don't use opengl at all my system is really stable.. for days... unfortunally I can't send a bug report because I only have one pc at home.. and I don't know if I can ssh the machine.. anyway.. hope it gets fixed soon
kmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-05, 01:50 AM   #36
ian_man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironi
The solution for me was to enable "GW-Write Mask AGP Request" in the advanced memory timing area of my system's BIOS. I'm not sure what it does exactly (Google doesn't shed any light on it), but I've narrowed down the cause of the freezes to that -- at least on my system. It might be named differently or even missing entirely in other BIOS configurations; YMMV.
I tried this on my computer and it seems to have fixed the problem as well! Awsome job tracking that down. This is on a Soyo Dragon motherboard with a geforce 4 ti4400. It was under the advanced system tuning section under standard cmos options. It was disabled by default.
ian_man is offline   Reply With Quote